Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
first time poster. 馃榾
looking to purchase my first atv and am looking at the outlander 800 efi. machine has 1500 miles and 250 hours. Has not been abused and no major mechanical issues reported. what are your thoughts on a 13 year old machine. Hours and miles seem reasonable but the age is bothering me for some reason. In the back of my mind, I think thing may start to break just because of the age. What kind of mileage can I expect from this machine?
i plan to use this for ice fishing, hunting and food plots. i welcome my thoughts. Thanks!

Registered
Dont let the age spook you.
Things break on brand new ones, all makes/models.

If youre even slightly mechanically inclined and dont mind keeping up on the maintenance after giving it a good go thru once you get it you should have many seasons of fun.

I have a 2007 400
Had a few issues, mostly fuel system related ( its carbureted )
Deteriorated rubber mostly, from california heat, ethanol and too much sitting around not being ridden.

Im running a lot of stock parts, some customizations/modifications.
Its been a great quad I love it.
And I am not gentle on it by any means ;)

If the price is right and you like it I say go for it.
I dont know what the "best" year for the 800 efi is or what "issues" they might have had but I think 2007 is an excellent year of the carbureted model.
My buddy has an 800 efi 2up and hes had it for years with no issues.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I was also looking at a 2007 400 carb. Only has 600 miles on it. I am not mechanically inclined. I can change fluids And the basic stuff. I was told the efi has less issues but when the issues do happen, most of the time it鈥檚 a trip to the dealer.
using this for ice fishing I figured the efi would start better in the cold as well.

Registered
Some of the carbed 400's have bowl heaters ( mine did at least ) cold weather was never a problem .
As stated above , new machines are susceptible to problems too .
Take a friend who knows these machines with you to look at it if possible.
Best of luck and welcome to the forum.
-Bonz

Registered
Welcome to the site!

One thing that comes to mind is those early EFI bikes' fuel pumps would occasionally fall out, but replacing it is fairly easy/cheap, not that big a deal.

They're typically regarded as a solid performer. Is it a max or XT?

Registered
Yes, carb bowl heater on mine too. Now that its tuned up good it fires right up in the cold.
Trick is, Dont touch the throttle!
Fire it up,
Little bit of choke, walk away, grab coffee, come back in a few mins, warmed up ready to rock.

Just heard from my friend, his 800efi is an 07.
Efi is generally "easier" and more "reliable" and "less maintenance" than carbed.
If you dont have carb experience its a trip to the dealer/shop as well if something acts up.

Post up the ad or a pic or two...

Registered
Also wasn鈥檛 sure how the 400 would do in slush and snow on the ice?
27" maxxis viprs on 14" rims on mine for just such an occasion 馃槈

800 looks like an xt

400 base model
But still...600 mile 07 carbed 400....drool
That carb alone is worth $300-500 bucks...but im old school biased towards the carb thats just me.

Both look good to me but the 400 just for parts for my bike lol

Out of the two...
Id go for the 800 if I was you -IF- the price is right and it checks out mechanically take it for a test ride!

Good luck have fun
Thanks for pics
Drooling on the 600 mile 400 again srry
Mine had 770 miles & 189 hrs

Registered
How are y'all finding all these snazzy yellow bikes? argh.... lol

Yeah XT on the 800 efi, gives ya front/rr bumpers, hand guards, winch, trailer hitch, rims. Winch is a neat add-on you wouldn't otherwise have to deal with.

I'll reflect what others have said: I'm more than happy with my little 400, especially for what little I've got into it. But if those are the two bikes you're choosing from, I mean, there's really no "choice", go for the V-twin.

Registered
Make that 800 a max chassis and bomb be droolin too haha!

Really between the two at that price theres no contest 800 for the win imo
Not sayin pull the trigger,,,older bike is older bike,,,up to you to jump on it or keep looking.
Hang on ill show you a couple local to my area I was looking at the other nite....

Registered
Just for comparison...

Its a renny but the only 800 I came across

Hop across the border to oregon annnd for $1000 more....

4grands the upper limit for that 400 but only a carb'd 400 fanatic would appreciate it and it would have to be an xt for me to pay that.

Edit.
Make it a camo xt and I wouldnt take a single part off of it.
I would build it into a twin of mine.

Seems fair for the 800 depending on condition...still a little much but it is an xt and looks to be well taken care of and they do hold their value well...

Registered
Discussion Starter #14
I am kind of hung up on the price. Probably will keep looking. Maybe offer less at a later date.
Thanks for all the help!!

Registered
Both want $4k after negotiations for them which still seems a little on the high side to me.
Yeah I love me a Can-Am I guess as much as the next guy on here, but that's a bit much for those. You can get a "new" 450 for not much more than $4k nowadays....

Registered
Just throwing my limited knowledge in as well. I was dong my research between different bikes, brands etc. I found that even the used Can Am's are little more pricier, however more reliable. I was finding typically 1 Can Am to probably 7-10 other well known brands as well. Seems to me that people with ours, don't sell very often. for reference, a month ago, i bought a 09 Outlander 500 XT EFI, with BRP Plow, 600 miles for $3800.00 and I really couldn't be happier. I've had it out ice fishing several times. The only issue i ran into, playing with the plow on my driveway i threw a low battery. But I hear that those winches draw a ton of power and the battery only charges above 3000 rpm.

Registered
Same experience here.

The only reason can am was on my radar was because my buddy has one.

I was open to two other makes. Had the feelers out for months on very specific yr, size, and model of used quad, camo only! while I researched new...

When I got a heads up on this late one night I was the first caller, the guy was very cool about me coming down now, right then.

After checking the paperwork and then taking it for a test ride I counted out $1000 on his kitchen table to hold it for me until morning when the bank opened.

When I arrived at his house the next day the first thing he said was wow I dont think I asked enough for this thing, you wouldnt believe the number of calls I got after we hung up, but hey a deals a deal.
Cool guy!
I felt bad but...it did start hard and not idle good. Wot was awesome (srry again to his neighbors for the midnite ride haha) I hoped it was just the cold because he mentioned warming it up while I was on my way that night but I asked him not to please. Turned out the carb/fuel system needed a little tlc.
No regrets
No buyers remorse
Couldnt be happier.

If its a good deal and you know what you want and have done your research jump on it and dont look back!

Registered
Same experience here.

The only reason can am was on my radar was because my buddy has one.

I was open to two other makes. Had the feelers out for months on very specific yr, size, and model of used quad, camo only! while I researched new...

When I got a heads up on this late one night I was the first caller, the guy was very cool about me coming down now, right then.

After checking the paperwork and then taking it for a test ride I counted out $1000 on his kitchen table to hold it for me until morning when the bank opened.

When I arrived at his house the next day the first thing he said was wow I dont think I asked enough for this thing, you wouldnt believe the number of calls I got after we hung up, but hey a deals a deal.
Cool guy!
I felt bad but...it did start hard and not idle good. Wot was awesome (srry again to his neighbors for the midnite ride haha) I hoped it was just the cold because he mentioned warming it up while I was on my way that night but I asked him not to please. Turned out the carb/fuel system needed a little tlc.
No regrets
No buyers remorse
Couldnt be happier.

If its a good deal and you know what you want and have done your research jump on it and dont look back!
View attachment 96968
View attachment 96969

Couldn't agree more. if you know what you want and the price is in the ball park, AND it's a good machine. go for it.

Funny, the guy I bought mine from was very similar. We texted back and forth, he told me he had some interest, but nobody had come to check it yet. I flew out on a lunch break, stopped at the bank for a deposit we had agreed upon for him to hold it as I wasn't able to trailer it that day if I did want it. Gave it a test drive. I was sold. The guy actually delivered it to me a couple days later and told me that he had others calling afterwards. He mentioned that as he told the following callers it was sold, several offered more money to sell it to them instead. Real stand up guy. With only a $500.00 deposit, he told them all, Sorry, I have already sold it, a deal is a deal..

Registered
Discussion Starter #20
What do you guys consider high mileage on a 2009 outlander 500xt that appears to be well maintained? I hear peeps getting 10,000 plus miles but have no idea if that is normal or exceptional
thanks

1 - 20 of 36 Posts