Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While I was plowing snow yesterday, my ATV died when I went to lift my plow. Then it would not start back up right away, just slowly turn over. I got it up and running again, but every time I would hit the winch button, it would start to die. I was able to get it in my shed, and I took out the battery. Its a newer Duracell Battery, but I decided to take it out and look in each cell, bone dry. I filled up each cell with distilled water and charged it all night. I re-installed the battery and the wheeler started right up but the winch was moving very slow. Think its my battery or a winch issue??

·
Registered
157 Posts
While I was plowing snow yesterday, my ATV died when I went to lift my plow. Then it would not start back up right away, just slowly turn over. I got it up and running again, but every time I would hit the winch button, it would start to die. I was able to get it in my shed, and I took out the battery. Its a newer Duracell Battery, but I decided to take it out and look in each cell, bone dry. I filled up each cell with distilled water and charged it all night. I re-installed the battery and the wheeler started right up but the winch was moving very slow. Think its my battery or a winch issue??
Boiled battery yum. Been there done that with a battery tender no less.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well...I just a new battery in. Same issue. When the winch and plow go up, it seems ok, but it will not go down, it just about kills the wheeler and my lights go dim. So the winch must be drawing to much power, I believe there is something wrong with it. Also, my wheeler goes into Limp Mode when this happens

·
Registered
500 Posts
Well...I just a new battery in. Same issue. When the winch and plow go up, it seems ok, but it will not go down, it just about kills the wheeler and my lights go dim. So the winch must be drawing to much power, I believe there is something wrong with it. Also, my wheeler goes into Limp Mode when this happens
A weak battery will cause the Limp Home Mode to be displayed.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Did u check if your battery was a agm before filling with water? Most machines have a agm in them and they are suppose to be dry. You fill em once when u get them and it soakes into the mat. This way their is nothing leaking out if machine flops

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
157 Posts
Did u check if your battery was a agm before filling with water? Most machines have a agm in them and they are suppose to be dry. You fill em once when u get them and it soakes into the mat. This way their is nothing leaking out if machine flops

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk
Thanks for this info I didn't know that.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So... I went through every connection on the winch and everything seemed fine. The more and more i use the winch, the slower it gets. Then the Low Bat comes on the dash. Not sure what else it could be? I used the hand switch that came with the winch with the same results.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I took out my winch. The winch looks new. Checked the brushes and it all looks good.

Is there such a thing as having to big of a winch? The one I have in there has been replaced since original, and its a 3000lb winch. I was thinking its to big and drawing to much power? I guess my next step would be to check the ATV charging system, maybe it isn't charging the battery enough?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Checking the charging and batt then switch first three steps.

3000lb winches are perfectly fine. I've been using mine for 16 years or so.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Im reading more and more about my issue and it seems common? Is this just something I will have to live with? I do want to check over the charging system, but I will wait until warmer weather.

·
Registered
2015 Outlander XMR 650
3,789 Posts
While at idle and/or low rpm, the charging systems on these bikes doesn't really put out a lot of replenishing voltage, it's very easy to run into a "low batt" situation when heavily using the winch or even headlights/stereo, if you don't pick the RPM up a bit.

Reactions: LazyBoyBob
1 - 17 of 17 Posts