Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

American Honda Motor Company is unveiling its entry into the side-by-side utility market with "Big Red," a 675 cc. fuel-injected multi-use vehicle.

Big Red's debut in show rooms is set for Summer 2008, but the machine will be marketed as a 2009 model, say Honda officials who oversaw the announcement of the MUV at a dealer meeting in Torrance, Calif., Sept. 6.

Honda's side-by-side features an overhead valve single cylinder engine with liquid cooling, electronic fuel injection and an automatic transmission with three selectable drive modes, plus reverse.

Suspension on Big Red is an independent front and rear double-wishbone design springing a roomy cab with rubber-cushioned adjustable-back bucket seats and a tough, tilting cargo bed.

After watching the side-by-side market grow during the past several years, Honda's press manager, Jon Row says the company expects Big Red to "show our customers Honda understands their needs better than any other manufacturer in the side-by-side market."

·
Premium Member
4,468 Posts
Don, when you said that you were going to get a SXS, I figured that the Big Red was going to be what you came home with!!!!

·
Premium Member
21,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
:umno: I can't figure out what Honda was thinking with this design....While it might have the old "Honda reliability" going for it, it still looks like someone reached out and hit it with an ugly stick....hard

·
Registered
983 Posts
Ugly is being way too nice. Not to mention the lack of power. The specs were posted last week on Carb, 27.1 KW which works out to about 36.3 HP. That's at the motor so imagine what it puts to the ground.

:pu:

·
Premium Member
1,526 Posts
.:umno:thanks. Too ugly and under powered.

·
Registered
79 Posts
It looks like a side by side with Downs syndrome. After looking at the Big Red and reading the specs I'm guessing Honda has just earned theaward for worst side by side on the market, narrowly beating out the Yamaha Rhino.

·
Registered
217 Posts
That price tag is high too. Look at the ones on ebay with big wheel kits for $14k. Wholly crap that is Terrible. TERRIBLE. I would rather have a bed boy buggy or an ez go. Goodness. That is just a pathetic attempt a a SXS. Hidieous! And Honda lovers will love it because it says Honda on it. They can not be honest about their brand.

·
Registered
861 Posts
That looks like a school district groundskeepers company car. Something tells me that they will still sell alot of those. There is alot of golf courses, football fields, parks, and farms in the world, and they could care less about looks or hp numbers in their machines. Does it have an optional lawn mowing blade ?, or a golf ball protection cage ?

·
Registered
12,554 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,596 Posts
Honda makes great generators...I have one that is 15 years old that has ran 10 hours a day for 5 days a week...had to weld up the frame 3 times and improvise rubber mounts twice... it keeps running...fell off the truck a dozen times...had to silcone the cracked plastic parts....but they are awesome...paid for itself 1000's of times over...lol

·
Registered
12,554 Posts

·
Registered
861 Posts
I am pretty sure Honda engineers were using THIS as a benchmark, and they may have improved on it, just a little.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,719 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Big Ern wrote:
I am pretty sure Honda engineers were using THIS as a benchmark, and they may have improved on it, just a little.
I don't know I like the 3 wheeler about the same as the pig red

·
Premium Member
1,295 Posts
Sr. and I were just at a Honda dealer today (just looking at some of the new machines), and that Big Red does look better in person. They said it has a Rincon engine and transmission, but with way lower gears. Everything underneath the machine looks pretty strong and durable. The plastic still does look kinda funny, and the thing is supposed to be 10 inches wider than a Rhino, and 4 inches wider than a Ranger. The seats looked pretty good, but everything else in the cab is plastic. Still not too sure about the Big Red...they should have more ground clearance and a stronger transmission (like a Rubicon trans)...

and for $11,000+, with a top speed ofonly30mph....I just don't think they're worth the money, yet.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts