Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a recent ride I discovered the 4 wheel drive would not engage. The indicating light comes on and off and there is no mechanical noises how ever putting it on jack stands it is not pulling. Any info or direction would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Through-shaft snapped? Have you attempted to pull in reverse, while winching a buddy out of a hole, recently?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ill check the shaft tomorrow and see if it spins on its own. The loss of 4x4 happened after I became EXTREMELY stuck a little while back. The old cv belt roasted and haven't had 4x4 since. I have replaced cv belt and it moves no problem but 4x4 is a no go. Appreciate the advice and will check it out and see if the shaft came apart inside.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Were there any mechanical noises a snap or grinding while you were stuck ?
Raise the rear end and start the bike .
Engage 4wd and see if the front prop shaft will rotate with light throttle.
If it does , your diff is smoked .
If it doesn't either the actuator isn't engaging or ( like Bomb said ) your through shaft is snapped.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Were there any mechanical noises a snap or grinding while you were stuck ?
Raise the rear end and start the bike .
Engage 4wd and see if the front prop shaft will rotate with light throttle.
If it does , your diff is smoked .
If it doesn't either the actuator isn't engaging or ( like Bomb said ) your through shaft is snapped.
Roger that, appreciate the help.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, after lifting the rear and leaving the front on the ground it did not pull and the front prop shaft did not spin. Will be pulling front prop shaft tomorrow to check a little further into it.
Question about the through shaft. Will it require pulling the motor or can the through shaft be replaced(if that's the problem) in place? I can't seem to find a good video of the process concerning a 2009 800. Any info will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Ok, after lifting the rear and leaving the front on the ground it did not pull and the front prop shaft did not spin. Will be pulling front prop shaft tomorrow to check a little further into it.
Check the actuator for engagement and operation first .

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, after getting plastic out of way and removing front tires for testing I found the front shafts tight and free of woggles or looseness. I turned key to the on position and engaged the 4x4 switch and I could hear the actuator engage(or it seems to) but the front would not pull when engine was cranked. With 4x4 engaged and in neutral I rotated the rear wheels and the front shaft moved a little like it was going to start but then it stopped. Maybe the actuator isn't engaging all the way and slipping is occurring, I'm not sure but more looking is needed I guess .But, on the side of good news, even with it completely quiet I could not hear any grinding, clunking coming from inside the trans. This sucks, I'm missing some really good riding weather.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Ok, after getting plastic out of way and removing front tires for testing I found the front shafts tight and free of woggles or looseness. I turned key to the on position and engaged the 4x4 switch and I could hear the actuator engage(or it seems to) but the front would not pull when engine was cranked. With 4x4 engaged and in neutral I rotated the rear wheels and the front shaft moved a little like it was going to start but then it stopped. Maybe the actuator isn't engaging all the way and slipping is occurring, I'm not sure but more looking is needed I guess .But, on the side of good news, even with it completely quiet I could not hear any grinding, clunking coming from inside the trans. This sucks, I'm missing some really good riding weather.
Pull the actuator and check the shift "fork" and splines for proper operation &/or damage

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
I sure hope it's not your through-shaft that's snapped. When I broke mine, it also didn't make any further noise, so don't let that lull you into a false sense of security.

It "can" be replaced with the engine still in the frame, but to get to that point, you're just a few steps away from pulling it out anyway, so most just go ahead and pull the motor to set it on their work bench, give yourself a much friendlier work position. Hopefully it doesn't come to that, that job is a major pita

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well after pulling the actuator and seeing that it does in fact work properly I looked a little deeper. I shined a light into the case and could see no visible damage to the splines but when I rotate the front wheels I don't see any movement inside the case(should I?) I engaged the 4x4 manually and still no movement on the front wheels. I did however notice that there was a bit of wobble on the shaft coming out of the front, ???? It looks like it will be a total tear down to investigate. I got this 800 outlander second hand(or maybe 3rd hand) and when I pulled the actuator there was some nasty looking, brown, what I think used to be oil of some sort came out. Starting to think its been in some deep stuff before. Wish I knew more about it but this is my 1st 4 wheeler. I do appreciate all the help and advice from you guys. Will keep yall updated on how much it sucked doing the repair or how much it cost to have it done. LOL!

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
maaaan I hope it's not the through-shaft, but all signs are pointing that way....

Well, you'll be real familiar with that bike soon enough :p

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ok, after pulling the bearing on the front end of the through shaft it is truly in 2 pieces. So here I go with engine removal. Any advice? Watched a couple of interesting videos on youtube and looks like I've got a long night ahead of me but the new shaft will be here tomorrow. If any of yall have any tips on making it easier ill be checking in here.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
I sold mine before dealing with it lol, but I've heard it's not that "specialized" a repair, just very time-consuming/labor intensive.

"Easiest" way to do it is pull the motor. lol

Sorry, but let us know how it goes! 🍿

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
WELL, after pulling the motor and disassembling the Outlander I have been waiting on parts. I tend to support LOCAL business by shopping there and getting certain services completed. I have used 2 different places locally that have tested my patients to no end. Is it really that hard to get CanAm parts? I have waited 10 days with an additional 3 days to go until I can get some simple seals and bearing for my through shaft. If this wait time is any indication I will be putting this thing up for sale after its back together and running. I am not sure if its because I went through them or its just a waiting game from Can Am. Rant over with. While the bike has been apart I have removed all led lights, radio(couldn't hear them huge speakers due to exhaust) and have rewired a lot of stuff to clear up some other problems. It is now cleaner than ever and ready for re-assembly. Really appreciate all the help from everyone on here and look forward to posting progress of rebuild

·
Registered
811 Posts
Yep them ^^^

Rocky mountain has been great too for aftermarket...

My local dealer has been awesome getting me oem parts.

They can also usually find discontinued brp oem parts with a call to some outfit in nevada that bought up a lot of nos.

If they cant get it Ive had good luck running the part # through ebay & amazon.

No problem getting stock and aftermarket can am parts here...so far.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Also,
Sorry bout your luck
Good job diving in to the repair (y)

You'll be up and 4wheeling in no time!
Good job

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Really appreciate all the info on parts dealers guys. I have a question about my newly acquired through shaft for my Outlander 800. The old shaft had a grove on the front end where a little split ring was. However, the new shaft doesn't have the grove and after I tightened up the bolt that holds the yoke on, it still had play back and forth. It doesn't move much but it does move. Should I take it all back apart and have a grove machined in or is there another solution. Once again, any feedback or info would be greatly appreciated.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts