Can-Am ATV Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2019 570 outlander. 2018 570 outlander.
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My buddy picked up a 2010 650 outlander with zero history on it and he is not mechanically inclined, at all... We took it for a rip Sunday and low throttle, no issues, full throttle, no issues, anywhere in-between, pops and backfires like mad. I had him pull over so I could be sure it was his exhaust and not his diff it was making so much noise. Half way through the day his gas light came on but it was filled up on the way, it was only a 15 mile ride around an ATV park and upon returning home it wouldn't start. Bad/weak fuel pump?

Second issue, brakes chatter like crazy when applied but not until he's almost stopped, is this the guide pin issue Zrock talked about?

So check the fuel pump? New gas and plugs and check the brakes is on the list, anything else?

Anyone know of any known issues with this year/model? Anything specific to check over?

I'd like to help the guy as much as I can before he just bends over for the dealer which he is absolutely going to do if I can't offer some help prior to that.

As always, any help is appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Outlander XMR 650
5,204 Posts
AFAIK, that late a Gen1 should have been cleared of the timing chain issues some of the very very early motors suffered from, so mechanical timing being a cause, is theoretically out of the picture. I know I say it a lot, but fuel pump fuel pump fuel pump, lol. If fresh gas and new plugs doesn't resolve it, and barring any MAF-T codes or CE light, could be an old fuel pump dying and doing that to y'all.

Sounds like you're on the right track, interested to see how it turns out!

Reactions: xsever

·
Registered
842 Posts
The Gen 1 front brakes do chatter, especially when wet. I put it down to having inboard brakes and the axle flexing between the wheels and calipers. My stock pads were very noisy and i changed to a kevlar pad i got off ebay and were better but still chattered when wet.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Bomb and Rex, good to know on both accounts. I'm going to see if he can get it to the house this weekend so I can take a look at it... I'm out of town for work but will let you know what happens when I know.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok well I got into this 650 a little, seems like my buddy may have gotten screwed, a few questions:

The rear brake was chattering like crazy, removed the caliper and the pads were gone, not a big deal, however I can grab the disk and wiggle the entire assembly that connects to the rear diff. I am assuming that this should have very little play if any? When I say wiggle I mean like a half inch of wiggle in any direction basically. I believe that is what is chattering in the brake, not the brakes themselves.

Still popping like crazy, pulled the plugs, they were Iridium's so he went to buy replacement OEM's, they did not seem to fit into the boot? As you can see in the pic these have the little rings for grip which were smaller than the OEM plug by quite a bit but the boot would not seat over it. Was I just not pushing hard enough? It seemed like a ton of force was needed to get this on which was why I stopped. Could the previous owner have swapped out the plug cables? Am I mental?

Didn't get into the fuel pump, he was getting pretty discouraged when we started removing the plastics and getting into it a little. They were all different colors on the "inside", the whole quad looks like it was painted in like, bedliner, which I have not seen, but I counted 3 different colored interior colors, red, orange and yellow, plus they didn't really want to match up when reassembling. Most of the plastics underneath were ziptied on and missing lots of pins/grommets and bolts near the foot wells.

Airbox was full of dirt/oil (maybe) grime, prefilter was caked but the paper filter looked ok... Ran it without the filter, still sputtered and bogged (hoped to get lucky). Zero grease in any fitting, tires all were low, racks weren't bolted on as in, bolts were dropped in, no nuts underneath.

All in all he said, "$4800, I got robbed huh?" I feel like the PO just threw it all back together and sent it down the road but I didn't tell him that, maybe is just looks worse that it is... My buddy had no idea what he was looking at or for so this was a painful lesson for him. He took it all back home to "think about it." I could feel his pain...

Thoughts?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2015 Outlander XMR 650
5,204 Posts
Well, in this market, I guess that doesn't sound like a "terrible" deal.......tho yeah you'd sure want an unmolested bike, for that money/that age.

I mean, yeah, sure sounds like PO didn't keep up with the bike at all, but if the airbox didn't give you any concerns of the engine being swamped, I still say fuel pumps going out are pretty minor/common, for these things, so if that resolves the engine popping issue, ok

Rear diff sounds like it's toast, input shaft bearing has checked out, allowing the brake rotor to wobble around like you're feeling. You could probably rebuild it yourself for not a lot of money, or keep an eye out for just a complete diff on spacebook or fleabay, etc.

Not sure what's going on with the plugs, that head looks like the style of the wires that should be on the bike, and the same style as the "correct" plugs. I mean, that is the right plug for the bike, heat range and size and all, just got the $$ "Iridium" construction.

Other than that, grommets and push pins and footwell hardware are not that big a deal, I suppose, to me... it'll give your bud a chance to kinda cut his teeth on assembly and familiarizing himself with the machine, if I'm looking for a silver lining.....

Reactions: Dirty Red Neck

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Agree with the above Bomb, fuel pump and rear diff need some love, I'll have to keep an eye out and do some you tubing. I'll revisit the plugs and see if maybe I was just being stupid, sometimes having someone asking a million questions while a guys trying to figure stuff out isn't as helpful as it sounds... Either way, at least dude knows his way around the machine a little more now like you said.

Thanks as always.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Spark plugs come with a threaded silver nut on the top. Cars use this but you need to unthread the nut and you will get the same as the picture.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I'll be damned, I was today years old when I learned this. Thanks Rex, I sent my buddy the info so he will report back if that helps his bike at all.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Outlander XMR 650
5,204 Posts
holy crap lol I didn't even think to spell that out, I thought everyone knew that..... 🤦‍♂️

sorry, DRN, next time I'll just risk the insult to your intelligence :p

Reactions: Dirty Red Neck

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Damn man, how do you think I feel just airing out my stupidity for the world to see lol...

Just another day in the life of DRN...

·
Registered
631 Posts
holy crap lol I didn't even think to spell that out, I thought everyone knew that..... 🤦‍♂️

sorry, DRN, next time I'll just risk the insult to your intelligence :p
That is pretty much why I have stopped trying to help people diagnose problems with their machines. When you have to ask people if they put gas in, or is the kill switch on or off, it is too much.

I get it that not everybody is mechanically inclined, but the real simple stuff I take for being obvious, but as with so many sites such as this, nothing is obvious enough for our up and coming generation of video game players.

·
Registered
13 Posts
You guys may not be in your late 60's yet when a brain fart is just moments away at any time!! I'm an old retired Aggie with a lot of farm experience and still forget the simple stuff. I like all suggestions from anybody at all times. good thread so keep it going in case my old 2006 650max goes bonkers!!

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sorry guys, no dad to teach me, no brothers that are worth a s**t, all I have it you tube and these forums. I appreciate all the help I get from all of you, even if I am the joke of the day.

I have 3 boys that need to learn this stuff so if I have to look stupid to get the right answers that is what I have to do. They are the generation that is really being Pu**ified so I need to try and stop that as best I can.

·
Registered
631 Posts
I think boys take to working with tools quite naturally, but they need some encouragement and maybe some help. Get on Craigslist and buy an old mower or even a toaster. Fix stuff with the boys and soon enough they will be unstoppable. In my tool cabinet I still have some tools I bought as a kid to work on bicycles, skateboards, and such things.

When I bought the rearview mirror for the Outlander, I read some of the reviews. I was blown away the owners of Outlanders were angry and baffled that the mirrors when tight were pointing in the wrong direction or even backwards. They had no idea that the nut was for adjustment as well as tightening. As a nation growing up on Reality TV, watching the Kardashians, we are doomed.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Outlander XMR 650
5,204 Posts
Don't even sweat it, DRN, we're laughing with you, not at you. None of us just rolled out of bed one day and knew what we know now, it took years of experience, just like you're accumulating right now.

That is the double-edged sword I've fought since the internet rolled around. Do I risk insulting the poster's intelligence, by dumbing down my answer for what he already knows? Or do I blow it right over his head, because he's not as "common sense"-ily equipped as I assume?

Oh well, just trying to help, and most of those feathers ruffled along the way, understand that. My advice is worth exactly what you pay for it ;) :p

Reactions: forkedhorn

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
No problem at all guys, I get it and am happy for any info I can get. I've replaces pistons, valves, cleaned carbs on ATV and sleds, rebuilt motors and other stuff, just never had an issue with a spark plug in the past. I never thought to try and rip the top off of one, talk about feeling dumb.

Ok back to the POS quad, I'll let you know if the plugs help at all and what shakes out over the weekend.

·
Registered
13 Posts
DRN, your boys are going to be just fine because their Dad is smart enough to ask for help and take a hold of the issue head first. When they see the consistency of that there is no stopping their growth. Teach them like I was taught,,,do it yourself and be inventive. Baling wire and duct tape has held this country together for decades.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts