Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Starts and idles perfectly. But full on the throttle I'm getting about 23 mph. It will occasionally perhaps when i hit some bumps give me power back. Its backfiring a little bit as well.
I feel like one of the plugs isnt firing or timing is off? There isn't any sputtering and it feels good just no power.
I'm a motorcycle guy so atvs are a little different to me. Any ideas where to start are appreciated. I'm going to swap plugs, clean air filter, check fuel lines and compression.

·
Registered
2015 Outlander XMR 650
2,339 Posts
when i hit some bumps give me power back.
Check your plug wires real good, from CDI all the way to plug. Sounds like you've got a borderline connection/plug wire that's just hanging on, and bumps temporarily restore a good fire.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Starts and idles perfectly. But full on the throttle I'm getting about 23 mph. It will occasionally perhaps when i hit some bumps give me power back. Its backfiring a little bit as well.
I feel like one of the plugs isnt firing or timing is off? There isn't any sputtering and it feels good just no power.
I'm a motorcycle guy so atvs are a little different to me. Any ideas where to start are appreciated. I'm going to swap plugs, clean air filter, check fuel lines and compression.

There was a TSB out for the speed sensors for our bikes .
It sounds like a broken wire or a loose connection somewhere to me though .

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've checked fuel pressure, its about 50-51. Set it up so i could check while riding as well. All seems good.
New plugs and ohmd the wires out as well. All good.
Any one have any ideas for me?

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Longshot here but did you verify the fuel tank (vent) check valve is installed in the correct direction and in good working order ?
Next time it's acting weird , crack the fuel cap a little and see if there's any change .
Based on your post I would also look the injector wires , plugs / pin fitment and the injectors themselves over with a fine toothed comb.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I meant fuel pump. I have an 09 renegade 800....it was doing just what you are talking about. I would have power to pull a wheelie initially on startup, then 3-5 minutes into the ride, it would bog out at full throttle with intermittent surges throughout the ride. Sometimes getting power back.
I bought a $54 dollar pump from advanced auto parts and put it in AND cleaned the vent out, top mounted under the seat. Drives like a new machine!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It doesnt really act weird. Seems to run fine just has no power. Then all of sudden full power. It does have a good bit of backfiring after running for a while but still nothing over the top.
I've tried the fuel cap as well.
I'll start on the injector wiring i guess this week. Wish i could find a proper manual.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I checked the fuel pressure it bounces between like 49-51 id say. I believe thats in spec for this machine.
I dont know if i can use a pump from advance or not for this year? Seems like everything is made to not let you do that on these machines.
Mine never starts at full power. Intermittently though it will give it all to me. No rhyme or reason i can tell. I could take it over tons of bumps and nothing then on a straight away suddenly full power for 10 secs. Very frustrating.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts