Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
My son recently put his Renegade to the test this spring in cold icy ditch water, and it froze overnight. Now it doesn't start. We've looked at everything and finally brought it to the shop. Turns out the wire harness is done, and the speedometer quit as well. Must have got water inside and froze. The shop got it running again using a new wire harness, but have to short out the starter solenoid to get it started - but it runs. We found a used wire harness for the bike, but looking for a used speedometer. If anyone has one that they would like to part with let me know.
another question for you - does the speedometer talk with the EMU (or whatever its called LOL - the brains)? would that be why when you press the start button it doesn't start? The display is dead on the speedometer.

·
Registered
2015 Outlander XMR 650
4,287 Posts
Welcome to the site

No, the display being dead won't keep the bike from starting/running. Sounds like a simple case of your green start button gone out. Have you checked it for continuity/operation?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi all,
My son recently put his Renegade to the test this spring in cold icy ditch water, and it froze overnight. Now it doesn't start. We've looked at everything and finally brought it to the shop. Turns out the wire harness is done, and the speedometer quit as well. Must have got water inside and froze. The shop got it running again using a new wire harness, but have to short out the starter solenoid to get it started - but it runs. We found a used wire harness for the bike, but looking for a used speedometer. If anyone has one that they would like to part with let me know.
another question for you - does the speedometer talk with the EMU (or whatever its called LOL - the brains)? would that be why when you press the start button it doesn't start? The display is dead on the speedometer.
Hi, thanks for the quick response! I haven’t checked the start button, but I will. And good to know that the speedometer won’t affect starting or running, thanks

1 - 3 of 3 Posts