Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been battling this whole suspension thing way to long now. I know that not everyone rides the same or built the same, but I am wondering how you guys have adjusted the setting your shocks. I primarily do hard core trail riding at about 25-75mph... WOT. I'm not looking for something super soft or super stiff but I want to enjoy my ride with some ground clearance to miss rocks and go through the snow and I'm 5'7'' 250 pounds. I would really like to here what you are running your suspension at and what your style of riding is. Open to all suggestions. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Question is, have you adjusted it yet?
I would say, for your weight, the preload is probably good, as you got it.
If you want the ride softer, loosen up the high speed compression some (the outside nut). Be careful though, the inside screw will many times turn at the same time, so you may have to put a flat head there to counter-torque. Turn 1/4 turns at a time and count them so you can adjust both sides the same.
At the bottom, adjust the rebound out some, like 5-7 clicks, it comes tight.

·
Registered
936 Posts
set the sag for your weight, i set all my settings on hard/tight and back 1 click, works well for me, rides rough but handles better, there are several posts on this site, but don't help much, kyb's web site doesn't offer much insight or help

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
set the sag for your weight, i set all my settings on hard/tight and back 1 click, works well for me, rides rough but handles better, there are several posts on this site, but don't help much, kyb's web site doesn't offer much insight or help
Holy crap. I have mine like 4 clicks from all the way loose, and high speed 1 turn from all the way loose. Unless you weigh 300 LBS, that is too stiff.

The object is to ride like a Lexus unless you are competition racing. The shocks will do both but why do that to yourself? If you rode in PA, you would change your setup, I guaranty it.

In the end, it's all about what you like and where you ride.

There are big threads that go into detail on how to adjust sag and all your settings but it's been done, just search it, or let us know if you can't find it.

·
Registered
936 Posts
i ride etn, harlan, some pretty tough trails and hills, seems normal to me, i think its from riding dirt bikes for a long time, no comfort there, plus can am seat is fairly comofrtable

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Unless you are doing big jumps and doing GNCC with washed out trails that constantly make your suspension bottom out, there is no reason to torture yourself like that.
Trust me, loosen up the high speed compression all the way, then back in 1 turn. Ride it for 1 hour and tell me what you think. I doubt you will put it back.
If you leave the low speed compression tight, it will keep it from diving in turns and give you the handling you want.

·
Registered
936 Posts
i'll try it, how much will it effect the handling? only at high speed?

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
i'll try it, how much will it effect the handling? only at high speed?
It is not really dependant on the speed of the quad (maybe some)... It is called high speed and low speed compression because it has to do with the speed at which the shock piston is traveling. The high speed compression dampens the landing of a jump and the quick vibration/bumps as you are driving. The low speed compression adjusts body roll. There is a little bit of a transition at which they both affect some parts of riding. That's why it can be difficult for some to dial it in. There is always a compromise somewhere.
Don't forget the loosen the rebound almost all the way, that will let you fly thru the whoops (throttle down).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts