Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, I bought this 650xt with aprox 1300 miles And 129 hours on it from an older gent who basically putted around with it checking crops. It seems to run and drive fine but when I go to shift it into any gear it grinds the gears a bit then goes into gear. I took the clutch cover off and blew quite a bit of dust out of the clutches. If you start it up in neutral the belt turns the secondary fast enough that it grinds when you shift it into gear. Does this mean the primary needs servicing? The maintenance required does flash on the display when you turn the key but probably not related to the shifting problem. Any suggestions? Thanks

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
It probably has the wrong belt on it .
Is it creeping in gear ?
FYI , you can start it in gear by holding the brake lever.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It probably has the wrong belt on it .
Is it creeping in gear ?
FYI , you can start it in gear by holding the brake lever.
No it doesn’t creep at all in gear, I didn’t know about being able to start it in gear by applying the brake. I can check the belt but I don’t think it’s ever been apart. If it’s the right belt then something must be wrong cause you should be able to change gears without having to shut it off to avoid grinding the gears. Thanks

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I'd also remove the outer half of the primary and service the one way bearing .
If you're not familiar with the procedure , just do a search on it .
There are plenty of good how to's on the subject.
Best of luck.
-Bonz

·
Registered
781 Posts
Yes, your one way needs checking and greasing. The friction washer needs a bit of grease which will slow the belt in neutral and take away some of the clunk going ino gear.

·
Registered
2015 Outlander XMR 650
2,547 Posts
Welcome to the site, Red

Yeah you're gonna wanna service/replace your one-way bearing. Check youtube videos, but it's a really simple thing to do.

If he's never been in there before, you might as well replace the belt too, it's nearly 10years old now, and they're not crazy expensive.

Clean those clutches real good and reassemble with a new belt and one-way, should be GTG.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi guys thanks for all helpful suggestions. I finally got around to working on my machine. The bearings in the one way were fairly stiff to turn so I put a new bearing kit in and new belt. The operation of accelerating and slowing down seems to be a lot smoother now and I think it’s even quieter. It still wants to spin the belt a bit if in neutral but maybe that new belt will break in a bit. Thanks for the help everyone

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Hi guys thanks for all helpful suggestions. I finally got around to working on my machine. The bearings in the one way were fairly stiff to turn so I put a new bearing kit in and new belt. The operation of accelerating and slowing down seems to be a lot smoother now and I think it’s even quieter. It still wants to spin the belt a bit if in neutral but maybe that new belt will break in a bit. Thanks for the help everyone
Go easy the first couple hundred kilometers. Especially avoid coming onto it hard at low speeds or the belt will slip and glaze and will take a lot of Kms before it looses the takeoff squeal.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts