Can-Am ATV Forum banner

2013 Can-am 650 xmr. Winch questions

2856 Views 42 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  Iamcanadian
Hello everyone, So I'm new to all of this, and I would like to get some help.
So I bought that machine back in 2021 second hand(4th hand more likely) and it didn't came with a winch, now that I have some spare money I'm trying to get a Can-am 3500HD winch for my rig, But I don't know what else should I get, like do I need a winch mounting plate, or what else comes with that winch in the box.

P.S: Sorry for my English, it's pretty rusty.
1 - 20 of 43 Posts
Hello everyone, So I'm new to all of this, and I would like to get some help.
So I bought that machine back in 2021 second hand(4th hand more likely) and it didn't came with a winch, now that I have some spare money I'm trying to get a Can-am 3500HD winch for my rig, But I don't know what else should I get, like do I need a winch mounting plate, or what else comes with that winch in the box.

P.S: Sorry for my English, it's pretty rusty.
Just need the winch and a fairlead if there is not one on your machine now.
Welcome aboard. Hope that you have fun here among us.
Your English is fine.

If your machine has never had a winch then you will need the full winch kit that includes wires, relay, switch, fairlead, and winch of course.
Check the bolt pattern of any winch you look at to make sure it will mount directly in place on your machine where BRP has planned it. Also check the bolt pattern for the fairlead.
Chances are a 2500 lb winch would be fit well on your machine. The HD2500 winch that BRP installed on my Outlander has proven adequate for the two years it has been used. If you go bigger make sure the bolt patterns fit.
Please keep us posted on your progress.
I think the previous owner, or the original owner took it out, so I have nothing on it. And I was looking in online shops that every rig has winch installed. I was fine that I don't have a winch on it, because I don't go on hard terrain, but 3 weeks ago I went in a muddy forrest road and I almost got stuck and that was the moment that I decided to get a winch to this rig.

By the way where can I get a full winch kit ?
If you buy through Amazon you might be able to find something you like.

Here in Canada this would be an example of one I would consider.
  • Helpful
Reactions: 1
So if I buy (Can-Am HD 3500 Winch - Can-Am Off-Road) that, I need to get wire harness ,fairlead, and a solenoid. Do I need anything else ?
If you have everything shown in this image you should be good to go.
Note that the image shows a wireless remote control which I highly recommend.
Luggage and bags Product Bag Gadget Eyewear
See less See more
  • Helpful
IIRC, my XMR 650 did not come with a factory winch. I was quite surprised by that approach from BRP, but I guess I see their cost-cutting approach.

Regardless, @Agramon, just remember, a winch is a stand-alone add-on "kit", you can put a winch on a little utility trailer or the rear bumper of your pickup, if need be.

I'm trying to remember for sure, but I'm almost certain the front "bumper" of that machine is already setup for a winch to bolt-in. After that, it's just a matter of where to put the contactor and cleanly run the wires to the battery, handlebar control, etc.

It's a very simple project, to add a winch kit to an Outlander (y)
  • Helpful
Well thank you guys for the infos, sadly I couldn't find factory winch that shows what comes with the order.
Gadget Cameras & optics Camera accessory Cable Eyewear

This is what I could find, and if I understand correctly Warn makes the factory can-am winches.
So now does somebody know that is it compatible with my rig?
See less See more
To make it easier to understand, it's simply the winches bolting pattern, that determines whether or not you can fit it to any given machine. For simplicity sake, there's really just 2 different bolt patterns to choose between, and it's not even that hard a choice, lol. The bigger winches bolt pattern will not fit your bike, so it's an easy choice. After that, then it's just how much pulling power do you need? 1500lbs? 2500? 3500?

I think it's the 4500lb+ winches for the UTV's that use the larger bolt pattern that won't fit the atv's
  • Helpful
Reactions: 2
Well update time, I ordered the Warn Vrx 35-s winch, I hope it's going to fit and has everything to install.
Now comes the hard part...the waiting (14 days or more).

By the way, pros and cons of the synthetic rope ?
  • Helpful
Reactions: 3
To make it easier to understand, it's simply the winches bolting pattern, that determines whether or not you can fit it to any given machine. For simplicity sake, there's really just 2 different bolt patterns to choose between, and it's not even that hard a choice, lol. The bigger winches bolt pattern will not fit your bike, so it's an easy choice. After that, then it's just how much pulling power do you need? 1500lbs? 2500? 3500?

I think it's the 4500lb+ winches for the UTV's that use the larger bolt pattern that won't fit the atv's
There's actually a bit more than just the bolt pattern that determines if a wind will fit on a bike or not. Physical size of the winch plays a huge part. Many smaller bikes will only accept up to a 2500 lb winch with very few 3500 lb being small enough to squeeze in. I can't say for sure on the 650 Can-Am but on just about every other manufacturer 700 or smaller bike uses a 2500 lb. A 3500 is almost impossible to squeeze in most machines.
There's actually a bit more than just the bolt pattern that determines if a wind will fit on a bike or not. Physical size of the winch plays a huge part. Many smaller bikes will only accept up to a 2500 lb winch with very few 3500 lb being small enough to squeeze in. I can't say for sure on the 650 Can-Am but on just about every other manufacturer 700 or smaller bike uses a 2500 lb. A 3500 is almost impossible to squeeze in most machines.
Then I fluffed up buying 3500lbs winch ?
Thanks for the link, sadly it doesn't show that page for me, it puts me in the "home" page.
Then I fluffed up buying 3500lbs winch ?
Not necessarily. It still may fit
I put a 3500lb winch in my wife's 2019 570. Had to grind out one small spot for a bolt head for it to sit flat.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gear Gas Rim
See less See more
  • Helpful
I put a 3500lb winch in my wife's 2019 570. Had to grind out one small spot for a bolt head for it to sit flat. View attachment 111637
That's not a lot of grinding, I can do that.
By the way update on the Warn winch, I couldn't get in touch with the dealer, so I canceled the order.
So now I'm waiting for a Can-am 3500 HD, and it's on the way already and comes with everything that I need.
I'm very happy with my Can-Am HD2500. I had it apart and find that it is well made. After 2 years of regular use and dunking, it has not leaked at all. If there is any sticker shock involved with your purchase it would be the ole cry once principle. Looking forward to seeing how it works out for you.
  • Helpful
Reactions: 2
1 - 20 of 43 Posts