Can-Am ATV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey newbie here looking for advice on my machine... My son rolled it last weekend and now it's acting up. I recorded the sounds it makes when I start it. What's more, when I put it in gear it engages automatically and starts moving. Needless to say I don't feel very safe riding it nor do I want to cause greater damage. Taking it to a shop soon but wanted a heads up if enthusiasts had any good ears to identify a potential problem(s).

Thanks much!

Randy
Montreal, Canada

·
Registered
Oxford blue 2022 Outlander 850 XT
576 Posts
Weird sound but hard to tell !
Did it roll back on it's wheels ?
If not how long was it on it's side or up side down ?
Did stay running long before putting it on it's wheels ?
How's the oil level ?
Check your shifter bracket if it isn't broken. Plastic bolted to the air box. Maybe the shifter linkage got unadjusted !!!
Check how much oil is in the air box. Usually when you roll it, some oil drops in the air box when it's upside down !!!
There is a little transparent rubbery cup under it just behind the ECM ( left side).

Luc

·
Registered
2021 Outlander 850 max XT-P
730 Posts
Put you hand over the exhaust........is that sound it back firing?

Definitely check the oil b before restarting. My guess is the same as Vs, oil soaked air filter starving it of air.

Do these have a low oil cut off? Did it smoke when you started it up the first time?

Hopefully you boy is ok!

·
Regular Joe
2014 Maverick 1000r
7,278 Posts
Do these have a low oil cut off?
They do not

Randy- as mentioned above, that noise sounds like backfiring out of the exhaust. It also sounds like its idling high, which would explain it wanting to run away when put in gear.

Both of those scenarios could be explained via an oil-soaked air filter courtesy of the roll-over, also mentioned above ^

So pull the air filter and take a good look in the airbox, see what's going on. Might not have to waste a trip to the dealer.

Pop the caps on the two drain tubes, as said ^

1 - 4 of 4 Posts