Can-Am ATV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Recently bought a used 2013 Renegade 1000xxc. It's got a Dynojet Power Commander V and a believe a full dual HMF performance exhaust. I love the thing! However, when going from high throttle to low throttle, I often get a backfire from the exhaust. It's usually just once or twice but I've had it pop probably 6 or 7 times straight. Sounds cool, but I'm sure it isn't good for parts/longevity. I find the back end of the bike gets quite hot as well -- like the bumper will get hot enough that it's uncomfortable to touch. Not sure if this is typical because I don't have any kind of reference point.

As for the exhaust backfire, my research tells me it's probably either a hole in the exhaust or it's tuned lean. I don't see any holes in the exhaust so unless a pinhole could cause it I don't think that's the reason. So, I'm left with the tune. I have no idea where to even start with it and am quite hesitant because I don't want to cause engine troubles. Power delivery seems normal to me, but again, I have no reference point so it could be off. Just wondering what you guys would recommend doing in this situation! Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
I believe there are exhaust header gaskets. It could just be leaking around that which if it is wouldn’t hurt anything

·
Registered
2015 Outlander XMR 650
4,788 Posts
Welcome to the site, @Greyhelm

Backfire during decel is typically attributed to an over-fueling scenario. That's probably the reason behind the PO adding the tuner, to richen the A/F map, as the bikes are known for being lean from the factory. But that should keep the exhaust/rear bumper "manageable" to touch..... interesting.....

How much tune-ability/adjustability, does that programmer offer you?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome to the site, @Greyhelm

Backfire during decel is typically attributed to an over-fueling scenario. That's probably the reason behind the PO adding the tuner, to richen the A/F map, as the bikes are known for being lean from the factory. But that should keep the exhaust/rear bumper "manageable" to touch..... interesting.....

How much tune-ability/adjustability, does that programmer offer you?
Thank you! Taking a look at the website, it looks like the A/F mix can be adjusted between -100/+250% and the throttle position can be adjusted as well. Apparently it monitors your rides and saves them for later so maybe I should download the software and take a look at the previous rides to see if anything sticks out like a sore thumb. Will report back if I can figure it out

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's probably the reason behind the PO adding the tuner, to richen the A/F map, as the bikes are known for being lean from the factory
Got the tuner sorted out, apparently the previous owner went through all the work to install it and.... kept the default map? Or maybe just reverted to the default one before the sale.. not entirely sure the reason for that. I loaded a tune relevant to my exhaust and there was a pretty large improvement in throttle response and low-mid range power, but unfortunately the backfiring continues. Perhaps Spawn was onto something with the exhaust header gaskets as there wasn't any noticeable difference in the backfiring. I did only go for a short test ride but the bumper seemed to stay cooler than it did previously

1 - 5 of 5 Posts