Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep getting a DESS error. When that happens I have to go away and wait, in about an hour the key works fine. What is the solution so that I don't get stuck in a bad location?

The dealer has no idea. The bike is only 2 months old and just had the first service and recall reprograming of the computer was done at that time. Had the problem before the service and have it after the service.

·
Registered
279 Posts
It's moisture getting in/around the key/keyslot. DO NOT USE DI-ELECTRIC grease. It holds water in there!

WD-40 displaces the water and allows the key surface to make contact.

I usually wash the key and use a green scrubby or LIGHTLY sand the key surface...it takes the corrosion off.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Twice it happened inside a garage, twice in the hot mid day sun. Unlikely that moisture is in the key slot though anything is possible. I keep the key in the plastic case that it came in when it is in my pocket. The pocket is a right front pants pocket, and fwiw my cell phone is in my left shirt pocket.

·
Registered
279 Posts
It doesn't matter if the bike is in the garage, or if the key doesn't see moisture. If it has ever been humid, rained, or you've washed it...you could possibly have water in there.

It's just my experience with the DESS key not found issues i've had and along with the other 10+ can-ams in our group. We used to use di-electric but found it corrodes the key even worse. WD-40 in the key slot and clean off the key...problem gone. I WD40 after every wash/ride/etc...

Up to you but 4.39 and about 2 minutes of time could figure out your issuse.

If it's not that, the system is pretty complicated so good luck! LOL

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
I agree with jrpro. I've had the same issue. Clean the key. Either WD-40 in the ignition, or blow it out with compressed air, or both. If it happens on the trail, try starting in the lights on position. I've had most of my issues with it in the lights off position. (that is what I use the most) I've found that turning it off, then to lights on works most of the time. One other thing I would recommend is to have the grey key reprogrammed to performance and keep it with you as a spare. I also keep a spare ignition switch in my truck... just in case. They are only $30 and pretty easy to change if it ever comes to that.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I also had this problem. I had the dealer reprogram another key. Still wasn't working right. Then he changed he ignition switch and it hasent done it since. My dealer had one they used to test with just laying around. So was a quick fix.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I thank you all. It left locked me out twice today, once at Lowes and once at my Loyal Order of Moose Lodge. Each time I had to go away and come back in 15 minutes and all was well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts