Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 2015 Outlander 1000, Picked it up new about 2 months ago, Ive got about 620km's on it now. Ever Since it was new it was very difficult to shift when the engine was running. If I tried to slide it in gear easy, It would grind, I would have go make sure I put it into gear fast to avoid the griding, but it would be a hard shift when I finally got it to go into gear.

anyways, I brought it to the dealer for the 10 hour service and mentioned it to them and they said something definitely wasn't right. they Pulled the Clutch cover off and discovered that the secondary was spinning in park and neutral. according to them the 650 and 800's are supposed to spin but not the 1000's they messed with it for about 2 hours while I was there but still couldn't figure it out. they tried changing secondary sheaves, outer primary sheave, nothing made a difference. they said they had never seen it before and would have to contact BRP and let me know. they put it back together and I took it home. (the dealer is almost 3 hours away from me) otherwise I would have left it there.

they emailed me a few days later and said they had talked to BRP and that they told them that for 2015 they had added a Friction washer between the primary spring cup and the one way bearing.... why would they do this if the belt is NOT supposed to spin in Neutral and park???

The dealer told me to remove the friction washer and see how the clutches performed, (so yes, I'm Wrenching on my Brand new machine because I dont want to drive the 3 hours back to the dealer.) I REMOVED Friction washer, Serviced my clutches, cleaned them up with scotch brite and brake clean. Put it all back together and VOILA!! it works perfectly.

So my question is.... WHY THE HECK WOULD BRP PUT THIS STUPID FRICTION WASHER IN THERE??? has anyone else come across this problem??

ive attached a parts diagram of a 2014 compared to a 2015 and you can see the friction washer added. the second picture has a red arrow to #17

Attachments

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
The 1000's are no different from the 650, 800's....should spin the secondary when in neutral. When in gear and not moving, the belt should ride on the one-way bearing and not turn. If the primary is too tight, or the one-way is tight, the belt will drag in the primary and pull on the secondary making it hard to shift. I'm not sure about the adding or removing of this friction washer....when I ran stock clutches (3 machines now) I always put 'em back together the way they came apart....with all the parts. I'd have to go look at my 2012 stock clutch to see if that part is in there....

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well as far as I know the 1000's are not supposed to spin in park and neutral, My boss has two 2014 outlander 1000`s and they both DO NOT spin in park and neutral. the 2014`s do not show a friction washer, but the 2015`s do and mine spins.and it grinds pretty bad and is a real pain in the ass to get it out of gear. when I took the washer out to make it the same as the 2014`s it shifts smooth as butter.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
Well as far as I know the 1000's are not supposed to spin in park and neutral, My boss has two 2014 outlander 1000`s and they both DO NOT spin in park and neutral.
Mine does. I service the clutches 2 or 3 times a year.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
If they didn't spin when in neutral or park, you'd burn the belt every time you revved it.

Maybe the OP is talking about just at idle. In which case, this is just showing the state of the one-way bearing. A brand new machine with no grit or dust in anything, and the one-way bearing working perfectly...at idle, it miiiiight just let the secondary remain still. Still nothing to do with 1000 vs, 800, 650, 400....if the one way is super slippy, you'd have to rev it a bit to spin the secondary.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If they didn't spin when in neutral or park, you'd burn the belt every time you revved it.

Maybe the OP is talking about just at idle. In which case, this is just showing the state of the one-way bearing. A brand new machine with no grit or dust in anything, and the one-way bearing working perfectly...at idle, it miiiiight just let the secondary remain still. Still nothing to do with 1000 vs, 800, 650, 400....if the one way is super slippy, you'd have to rev it a bit to spin the secondary.

yeah thats what I mean, at idle. of course its going to spin the secondary if I rev it up. but when the machine is at rest I am under the impression that the secondary is not supposed to spin at idle. its supposed to run on the one way bearing. I just dont know why its grinding when i try and put it into gear..... spend 20k on a quad and you think they would have their shit together.

Reactions: DaveB

·
Registered
63 Posts
The pre-2012 Outlanders, specifically 500, 650, and 800/800R all had that "wonderful" friction washer in the primary clutch. Typically, depending on the type of riding you do, they require servicing every 500-2500 mi, which is a thorough cleaning and reapplication of special Can-am clutch lube (very $$).

I noticed with my 2012 Outlander 1000XT, that Can-am had removed the friction washer my 1000XT was able to ship into gear MUCH easier. Reason being, the spinning primary clutch assembly on the older units would transfer the rotary motion into that friction washer, where-as the 1000, without the washer, would transfer the rotary motion directly into the one-way bearing. Imagine that, using a bearing as a bearing instead of the friction washer as a bearing. It's genius ! (hope you get my sarcasm). Point being, as far as I can tell, the stock 1000 primary is different than the older/smaller cc model Can-ams. I have not had a chance to inspect other post 2012-to current smaller displacement Outy's, but know the 1000 primary and older 500, 650, & 800's are not the same.

Good luck with your new toy, enjoy !

1 - 9 of 9 Posts