Can-Am ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone else expierencing the front shocks blowing out on the new 2015 xmr 800 or am i just riding too hard? theses are not the air shocks for anyone wondering just the regular shocks
wondering if it has anything to with all the added weight, with what look to be the same shocks as the stock machines ??

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
literraly blowing the tops right off on the strut oil spewing everywhere dealer fixed it again yesterday so now i guess ill try again lol

·
Registered
322 Posts
Holy crap. How does that even happen lol Did they upgrade you to a better shock or replace it. Was it just one or all go bad

·
Registered
201 Posts
Only issue i have with mine is they bottom out easy.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
it is from bottoming out too much maybe , they just replaced it said it was feactry deffects that caused it ,and it was one shock at a time but both fronts went both covvered by warranty

·
Registered
322 Posts
Well i got my 800xmr today and stood it up on a wheel stand and when it came down it landed very hard, the shocks bottomed out. No damage tho. Prob gona have to adjust the preload. I wonder y brp opted to go for such a soft shock.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah im not too sure they should have bumped it up a bit since they added alot of wight up front if it breaks again ill pay the difference and get the fox ones

·
Registered
201 Posts
these seem a lot cheaper then elkas. Im sure the quality isnt as good but if you are just looking for something that wont bottom out. I think these are the way to go. they are only 570
Can Am ATV FOX Shocks - PERFORMANCE

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
im thinking about putting a rear set of factory shocks on the front they are the same messurments and have longer travel and a heavier spring coil or those fox shocks

·
Registered
48 Posts
Both me and my buddy had same problem. Dealer wouldnt touch them. We ordered the fox upgrades. If you do this, order a extra set of rear springs. You will have to take rear springs off oldset of shock and new rear springs and swao them with fox springs. Allsaid and done night and day. To doit again woulda went with elkas

·
Registered
322 Posts
Brandan131 Have you had any issues since ur dealer replaced ur front shocks? Every time u hit a bump hard or a dip in the road or come down from a wheelie she bottoms out hard. The fromt has barly any travle for the shock to compress b4 it bottoms out. Any one try cranking up the preload? I want to but feel the ride will go to crap when i do.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I have a buddy with a 2015 XMR 800 and his shocks are complete sh!t. We cranked up the preload and also installed spring spacers and it is still too soft. We were thinking about installing highlifter springs but not sure yet.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I have a buddy with a 2015 XMR 800 and his shocks are complete sh!t. We cranked up the preload and also installed spring spacers and it is still too soft. We were thinking about installing highlifter springs but not sure yet.
Thats what i was afraid of. How did you adjust the preload? I tried with the tool i have in my tool kit, But i cant get the damn thing to budge any. I have also tried the jack the bike up off the ground and still cant get it to move. I also tried a breaker bar but it just pops off.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Dirt and sand get stuck behind adjuster. Hit it will some penatrating oil. Jack the bike up, if the tool wont move it grab it with pipe wrench. Adjusting preload did nothing for me, at the end of the day you still only have 3.5" of travel.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i cranked my shocks up one notch and been riding hard for a while now and no blow outs but they still bottom out im going out saturday again so i will update if i wreck another one

·
Registered
322 Posts
My shocks r getting softer every time i ride i feel. If i pull up on a wheelie when the shock travles to the end of the stroke i hear a loud clik like metal on metal then it dose it again when i land. Shocks bottom out over the littlest bump. My friend bought a 2015 650 xmr n i parked mine nxt to his and his front shocks have more travle then my 800. He has about 1 inch more....... He didnt complain about bottomingout once when we rode on saturday.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Mine did that aswell. It's from springs having more pressure then shock cab handle. 800's have shorter shocks so the tires won't hit the headlights I guess.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
i blew the third and final shock apart got sick of it i now have the fox podium evolution series 700 cnd from brp and they dont bottom out and are super smooth defiantly worth the purchase smooth as butter now !

1 - 20 of 25 Posts