Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so what is everyones thoughts on the 2015 XMR having racing shocks on it?
The current fox float shocks seem like a nice plush ride, which is what I figure you would want on a 1000lb mud machine. Seems like the Fox 2.0's might make for a stiff ride?

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Those fox podiums are 4 way adjustable. They could be set up to ride soft as pillows if you dial your compression down, IMO its a way better set up, and bullet proof now, no more ACS faults/codes. XMR is a lot more appealing to me now with the new set up because you can get a second set of rims and tires and have a good dual purpose machine, ride it hard on the hard pack trails or hard in the mud with just a tire swap, basically what I have set up now with my ride only I'd be able to get it off the show room floor.

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
Totally agree! I can't wait until July/August...I will be getting one (finally!!!)...The whole ACS thing is what concerned me to begin with, now it really is the best machine Can Am offers...Why would anyone get the XTP now? It has beadlocks and painted plastics but that isn't worth the higher price tag. And with the XMR, you get bigger differential and snorkels to the pod.....I'm also interested to find out how the new lower gear will be. I hope it has ALOT more torque....Most of my rides are under 40 mph....

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
Actually, in the mud you want a nice stiff suspension. When you shift your weight from side to side, you want it to force the tire down to get traction, not just compress the suspension. I think the 2015 will be a huge improvement over the fox floats! I'm sure there will be guys that set it somewhere in the middle and leave it so it is good for all riding. There will also be those that will switch between a couple of settings before each ride. It would only take a few minutes to change the setting while they are changing between mud and trail tires.

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
Isn't the whole benefit of the ACS to raise and lower the ride height so its got more clearance in the mud and lower on the trails?
Seems silly to remove it, even tho it didn't work very well. The thought process was right but it just never worked properly

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
Isn't the whole benefit of the ACS to raise and lower the ride height so its got more clearance in the mud and lower on the trails?
Seems silly to remove it, even tho it didn't work very well. The thought process was right but it just never worked properly
You get about 1.5 - 2 inches with it raised up. Biggest benefit I've seen with it is the suspension gets stiffer so your weight shifts force the tires down where they can get a better bite in the mud. In the holes I ride, 1.5 - 2 inches of extra GC isn't going to get you very far. Especially when most other manufacturer's machines have as much, if not more GC than we do. My stock XMR with it's 30" silverbacks only had about an inch or two more GC than my Grizzly on 25" tires. After I put the 28" Zillas on the Grizzly, they were almost equal.

It was a great theory on paper...

I've said all along that I would much rather have a suspension that I could set the way that I like it and then forget about it. Suspension settings are not something I want to have to think about throughout my ride.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I almost swore off EVER getting an XMR due to the suspension, but with the suspension change I more then likely will be pulling the trigger on one this year. When running in the mud I think the best way to look at it is the "KISS" method. Keep It Simple Stupid! Less room for failure with a adjustable coil shock with resi. Or maybe I let the old lady get a new quad and 4" catvos my XT.......DAMN!!!

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
The new 800r XMR also have a gear reduction. Less need for clutching. Should sling those 30s like it's job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
isn't it just the 1k that has the lower low gear?

·
Registered
80 Posts
No more ACS - YES what a pain on my 2013 XMR. I have come many times very close to removing all four shocks and replacing with an aftermarket shock. I do like the air compressor for the air, I have helped my friends with airing up their tires on the trails.

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
DeHoTu

I have a slime air compressor that fits in back compartment to air up tires $30 or $40 bucks no biggie. lol

1 - 13 of 13 Posts