Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. 2017 outlander 850. Bastard finally stopped shifting into 4wd. Pulled switch block apart, wires look good. The spot under the pod where it plugs into is good. I have to trace to find the actuator yet. I had trouble with this the last ride, pulled switch apart and wiggled wires and it worked fine from there. Gotta be bad actuator, switch, or wire issue right? Checked under my fuse panel too.

Ideas? Going to pull up parts diagram after this.

I’ll probably do this too, to check contacts:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yup I did that last time and could hear it. Cannot hear it now (tested tonight with engine off).

Foot rest have to come off, or just inner arch well?

Will check the actuator this weekend. Probably pull apart the switch too.

·
Registered
2017 Can-Am Outlander 570 Pro
68 Posts
did you look if the switch contacts are corroded ? happened to me twice , cleaned the contacts with sandpaper and put grease in it . From Brp the switch is bone dry , they don't put any grease in it

·
Registered
2015 Outlander XMR 650
3,359 Posts
Yeah I'll always start at the handlebar switch, for no 4x4 issues. Those contacts corrode/melt, it all starts in that switch.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Checked contacts and actuator plug (to be thorough). Actuator was good. Switch was baaaaaaad. Cleaned it up and die electriced the piss out of it. No seal on the switch inside, horrible design!

Thanks guys!!

Works like a charm now!!

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Seriously, why don’t they grease these or have a gasket. Mind blowing! I almost siliconed it.

Reactions: MontanaCanAm

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nice detective work . Haven't had a problem with mine but
I'll be X-acto'ing out SOME kind of gasket .
At this point I'd suggest anyone who has a canned ham, open this switch up and die electric this connection. What a joke.

I may pull this apart and silicone around where they close together.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Seriously, why don’t they grease these or have a gasket. Mind blowing! I almost siliconed it.

Same with the wheel bearings. 20 pumps from the grease gun to get them full. No easy task, but has to be simpler then replacing the wheel bearings down the road.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Same with the wheel bearings. 20 pumps from the grease gun to get them full. No easy task, but has to be simpler then replacing the wheel bearings down the road.
My opinion on the bearings is the seals are what's inadequate. I would pay up if someone offered a bearing with a seal that actually....seals .

·
Registered
298 Posts
My opinion on the bearings is the seals are what's inadequate. I would pay up if someone offered a bearing with a seal that actually....seals .
Call NASA. I'm pretty sure they have seals down pat, but likely north of $10K a bearing and for the little tiny ones.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've greased my rear wheel bearings once. I should probably get to doing my fronts with 3k miles on the machine. LOL

·
Registered
5,625 Posts
Too much grease is not good. Will cause bearing to run hot.
I put 10 pumps in my all balls bearings before install.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Reactions: p_hauschild

·
Registered
2017 Can-Am Outlander 570 Pro
68 Posts
How much water do you ride in? I play in water every time I ride.
i don't ride in water at all :p maybe 3 times a year but i wash it more often than i ride it :ROFLMAO:
that's my problem with water .

1 - 20 of 23 Posts