Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a brand new DS for my nephew it left over from 2017.
Before we picked it up dealer said they put on a new battery and cleaned out carb since it has been sitting.
Didn't think anything of it just loaded quad up and headed home.
When I test drove the quad it felt like it was under powered it literally could only top out at about 20 mph. My nephew 90 cc scrambler went nose to nose.
Any idea what can be the issue? The throttle limiter screw was removed but still slow.
Please help

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2020 Can-Am Renegade XXC 1000R
147 Posts
hopefully the nephew rides better than his father !! He’s already got an edge on life as he’s on a Can-Am & not a Polaris 😂

·
Registered
186 Posts
Sounds like the carb is still gummed up. If they didn't have non-ethynol in it then there can be problems. We had problems like this with carbs and switched them all over and no more problems at all. The small air bleed lines need a very small wire ran through them to clean them out and it is a pain. Just my suggestion as to the problem.

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Sounds like the carb is still gummed up. If they didn't have non-ethynol in it then there can be problems. We had problems like this with carbs and switched them all over and no more problems at all. The small air bleed lines need a very small wire ran through them to clean them out and it is a pain. Just my suggestion as to the problem.
Did you buy a new carb & lines or did u clean them with the small wire ?
Thanks RR

·
Registered
186 Posts
On our DS90X we replaced the carb with a cheap Chinese unit for $18, 4 years ago, and it still works perfect after trying to clean the factory unit. We ended up doing the same on our Onan generator carb on the toy hauler but not a cheap unit. So far on our DS250 we have not had a carb problem but, we have only run non-ethanol in it. By the way, the only other change we made to our 250 was the clutch kit which helped with the bottom end. Also if you have short kids you can raise the foot mounts with some box aluminum and longer bolts real easy. I had to do that with both my boys. We have had our 250 for 5 years, purchased new, and have had little problems. I just had to pull the rear axle out and clean the surfaces so the housing would not back off by rotating under power. Not bad for rinding in the mud and dirt at home, in the dunes, up in mountains with large rocks and out in the high desert with heavy dust.

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
On our DS90X we replaced the carb with a cheap Chinese unit for $18, 4 years ago, and it still works perfect after trying to clean the factory unit. We ended up doing the same on our Onan generator carb on the toy hauler but not a cheap unit. So far on our DS250 we have not had a carb problem but, we have only run non-ethanol in it. By the way, the only other change we made to our 250 was the clutch kit which helped with the bottom end. Also if you have short kids you can raise the foot mounts with some box aluminum and longer bolts real easy. I had to do that with both my boys. We have had our 250 for 5 years, purchased new, and have had little problems. I just had to pull the rear axle out and clean the surfaces so the housing would not back off by rotating under power. Not bad for rinding in the mud and dirt at home, in the dunes, up in mountains with large rocks and out in the high desert with heavy dust.
Sorry for the delay I have been off the grid on business. Great pointers, I will look into it. Many thanks

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Will do thanks 👍

1 - 8 of 8 Posts