Can-Am ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday, came back from a trail ride. Rather a short ride at that.

The Outty fired up just fine, and then I rode off for about 2-3 miles. I then stopped on the side of the trail, and left the Outty idling. My Wife and grandkids were following behind me in our Jeep, (and had a quick chat).

When I got back on the Outty, (it was still idling fine), that's when I had some issues. Trying to give her any throttle (in gear), and I could hear loud, periodic knocking or detonation sounds. The engine would also sputter under any attempt to put her under load, in gear. If I put the Outty in N or P, I could then give it throttle and it would rev up. Though a quick sputter at first, but then it would pick up RPM's. When I tried to go back into gear, the knock/detonation and sputters would come back, and there was no way it could power/move itself underload.

So we towed the Outty back to my truck & trailer, and then winched it up onto the trailer. In short, not a fun day for the grandkids.

Tomorrow, I'm planning to do this:

- pull the plugs and replace with new. (double checking the gap on the new ones, but also checking to see what the OEM plugs were gapped too, just for grins).

- I'll siphon all of the gas out of the tank. I had put in some SeaFoam into the tank, and added about 2.5 gallons of fresh gas too it. Prior to that, the Outty was stored in my garage for a 5 months, with a 1/2 tank of 87 octane (ethanol). In Phoenix, we can only buy ethanol. I know that ethanol can collect moisture, (after reading up on it). But I think that would be interesting here in Phoenix, since we have essentially no humidity. :) Nonetheless, I'll drain the tank, and then add fresh gas and SeaFoam to it.

- Lastly, I'll also check the electrical, including ensuring the battery connections are tight and tidy.

As noted in my signature, our Outty is a 2018 570 Max DPS. With about 25 hours on the engine.

Would appreciate any other thoughts or insights. (No, I have not checked the valve clearance as of yet either). I also understand these rigs come via the factory really leaned out. My legs and ankles can atest to this, due to the heat from the engines (which makes that wonderful here in the Desert).

TIA,

-Jav

·
Registered
190 Posts
I would leave out the sea foam. Plenty of people have complained of misfires after using it. Maybe they put too much in, others have used it with no issues. I would personally leave it out of the mix and one less thing to troubleshoot.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
my update:

• I pulled the plugs and replaced with new. (to be honest, I can't tell if the OEM are good or bad. I'll post pics of them later).
  • I removed a fair amount of fuel, and replaced it with about 3 gallons of fresh gas.
  • Electrical, including the battery terminals I made sure all was tight.

I fired her up, and notice when still "goosing" the throttle, I still get the gasp, hesitancy, and a few pops and pings by my lower right ankle. When I put her into gear, she still hesitated, and popped and pinged. But I managed to get her off the trailer. Then put her into H, and she still hesitated when in gear and underload. Hesitating, and the random popping around my right ankle.

I managed to get her rolling in H after a bit of coaxing, and once I had some rolling speed the throttle caught up, and she seemed to smooth out. Since I'm street legal, I took her for a spin through the sub-divisions. As long as I had rolling speed, I could give her throttle and she responded fine. I drove around for twenty minutes hoping things would "blow out". But once I came to a stop, it was a bit of work to get her rolling again with the hesitancy and the periodic "popping". I managed to get the Outty back onto the trailer, and she's back in my garage now.

I'm at a loss now as to what's next. As noted, the engine has about 25 hours on her.

thank you for the help and feedback, would appreciate any other insights...

TIA,
-Jav

·
Registered
190 Posts
I would go after two things. First remove and clean the IACV ( Idle Air Control Valve), the symptoms are acting like a IACV issue. Next I would go after the MAP sensor and replace.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would go after two things. First remove and clean the IACV ( Idle Air Control Valve), the symptoms are acting like a IACV issue. Next I would go after the MAP sensor and replace.
Hi BBH, thanks for the feedback. I will check out the IACV, and do a clean. I've been reading up on that in the service manual, and will be careful with the cleaning.

·
Registered
2015 Outlander XMR 650
4,788 Posts
I'd be somewhat surprised if you've already got a fuel pump issue, but checking the system pressure is practically free, and can at least check something off the possible list.

Any check engine lights while it's kinda stumbling n burping?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'd be somewhat surprised if you've already got a fuel pump issue, but checking the system pressure is practically free, and can at least check something off the possible list.

Any check engine lights while it's kinda stumbling n burping?
No lights, nothing like that at all. As you note, after I finish cleaning up the IACV (and looking at the Map sensor), then it's the pump check. Check it off the list at least. :)

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well, a big "aw shucks". I took out the IACV and carefully cleaned it off with carb cleaner. I then also removed the MAP sensor, and cleaned it too. Per the shop manual, (after tinkering with the IACV), it said to start things up and let it cycle through the cooling fan kicking in, and then shutoff engine and that would reset it.

Afterwhich, I gave it the throttle range test. In N, when I goosed her, it sounded like the same issue. Hesitating a bit, then a few pops, and then the throttle would catch up and let the RPM's go up. At mid to higher RPM's, the engine sounds fine. Wouldn't a faulty fuel pump have issues throughout the throttle range?

I'll get a pressure gauge, and then check the fuel pump. I'm trying to psych myself up for that effort... :confused:

bummer... at least on the plus side, I caught this while "at home", rather than my wife and I being out a few miles on the trail, away from our truck.

too all sharing your input, thank you, I appreciate it.

-Jav

·
Registered
2015 Outlander XMR 650
4,788 Posts
Weak/glitchy fuel pumps can contribute to all kinds of weird rpm/power issues. I'm still not sold on yours being the culprit, here, that's an awfully new component, but with new plugs, and no codes, you're starting to kinda run out of "usual suspects"

·
Registered
190 Posts
Dealers get the advantage of trying parts to see if issues are resolved and we don’t have that opportunity unless we buy and try. The symptoms are in line with IACV and MAP. Map is about $55 and if it were me I would buy that one first and try to see if it solved the issue then if not do the valve next. Sometimes we have to spend and in either case cheaper than a dealer and their labor...I personally don’t like Sea Foam as it can loosen deposits in the fuel systems then clog injectors but if the motor was running well from mid range up I would potentially eliminate that. I would not eliminate cleaning the fuel lines and injector later hit after the above and fuel pump as you are looking at already.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Oh, what about fuel filter? I didn’t check to see where it’s at maybe a screen sock in the tank. That might be something to look at as well if not already...

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
On Friday, I'll have access to a fuel pressure tester. I'll give that a check. Looking at the shop manual, seems a pretty straight forward test. But I'm really hoping I don't have to change out the fuel pump. :-(

For grins, I have a EJK controller (gen 3), that I've been wanting to install. So I put that on yesterday, as a "what the heck". It's preset for a stage 1 mod. Fired it up, and still got some of the hesitancy and popping still....

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Oh, what about fuel filter? I didn’t check to see where it’s at maybe a screen sock in the tank. That might be something to look at as well if not already...
I believe it's in the tank, via as you note a sock/screen.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I should have the pressure tester later today, so I'll do the check the fuel pump pressure tomorrow morning. (getting too hot now in Phoenix).

For grins, last evening I put in 1.5oz of Star Tron fuel treatment and let it sit overnight. Then this morning, I took her out for a spin. Put about 45 minutes on the Engine. It would still pop and hesitate when starting out from a stop. But after riding her for a bit, when I goosed her in either mid or higher ranges, man that Outty would take off! So in my mid to upper throttle ranges, It's running great. Only when I stop, and no longer have any rolling speed or inertia, then I get the hesitation and pops. Then once it gets rolling, the throttle really responds well.

As noted, I did just add the EJK tuner. Things feel just slightly cooler around the ankles, just slightly. (The Tuner is set for stage 1 mod).

·
Registered
190 Posts
The StarTron products takes 3 days to clean out the fuel system if that’s where your headed. Each day you run it by 3rd day it’s cleaned out.... got that advise from a dealer who uses it this way for customers. They do this first before tearing into anything... worth a shot. Still back to the IACV and MAP but the StarTron works to clean up really well....

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The StarTron products takes 3 days to clean out the fuel system if that’s where your headed. Each day you run it by 3rd day it’s cleaned out.... got that advise from a dealer who uses it this way for customers. They do this first before tearing into anything... worth a shot. Still back to the IACV and MAP but the StarTron works to clean up really well....
thanks for the feedback! I'm going to take her out tomorrow morning, to a nice desert spot. (early in the morning). and just run her out as much as I can. Today's run was through the sub-divisions, (I'm street legal), but I don't want to be an A-hole, so I do respect all of the road rules for sure.

I may shotgun it and go for a MAP (since it's the cheaper of the components). And then another look at the IACV. I'll post an update tomorrow after I finish my desert run. thanks again for the input.

-Jav

·
Registered
2016 Can-Am Outlander Max XT 650
876 Posts
I should have the pressure tester later today, so I'll do the check the fuel pump pressure tomorrow morning.
Any updates on that as well?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts