Can-Am ATV Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 · (Edited)
sorry for the late response. Work has been insane, with long hours. Plus, being really hot in Phoenix now, it limits my time when I can work on this. But I got up early this morning and the did the fuel pump pressure test. Pics attached of the fuel pressure when at idle. When I goosed it, the gauge stayed steady at 20psi. When I turn on the power, (but not start the Outty), the fuel pressure reads about 18psi. When I turn off the engine, the pressure drops right to zero, straight away. The engine is still puttering and hesitating, but I'm sure that's because it can't get the 51psi.

I guess I have to resign myself to pulling the pump and replacing. rats.... only 28 hours on the engine. D*mn ethanol!!! (I bet).

I also included a picture of my test setup, just to make sure all is cool from there. I did disconnect from the fuel rail, and I do hate OEITIKER clamps.... (actually, I don't hate them, but at times they're a pain to remove from tight places). :) The pressure test kit is some "el cheapo" unit via Amazon.

Attachments

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
the Quantum's are what everyone is recommending? I presume it's this one. But I'm puzzled that they offer the HFP-396-U4 and HFP-396-U4T. Same price, but I can't tell the diff.

Product Result

Install should be pretty straightforward for a yahoo? no special tools or soldering required?

·
Registered
2016 Can-Am Outlander Max XT 650
876 Posts
the Quantum's are what everyone is recommending? I presume it's this one. But I'm puzzled that they offer the HFP-396-U4 and HFP-396-U4T. Same price, but I can't tell the diff.

Product Result

Install should be pretty straightforward for a yahoo? no special tools or soldering required?
@BombardierBomb has experience with Quantum pumps. He'll help you out.

·
Registered
2015 Outlander XMR 650
4,788 Posts
Well, I have some experience with their application for my XMR, and that old Mud Pro, lol, for whatever that's worth. ;)

@javelina1 give 'em a call, there's some weird Polaris wording in those listings for the Can-Am pump, ask 'em about that, and the different part numbers. I haven't had to speak with anyone over there, but I've read good things about their customer service (y)

As for the work itself, yeah, average "shade-tree mechanical" skills would suffice. Use a big ole chisel or flathead and a rubber mallet to tap the lock ring loose, be real easy working the assembly up and out of the tank, special care for the level sender board. My bike's pump and regulator were direct fit/plug-n-play, I didn't have to cut/change/solder anything. Only thing I had to "non-OEM" was to cut/destroy that Oetiker clamp on the discharge cap, but I replaced with an EFI clamp from my kit, no issues. If you wanted to go through the trouble of unplugging your injectors, you could leave that whole line/assembly intact, and remove the fuel pump assembly that way, but that's a giant PITA imo.

Reactions: javelina1

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
thanks buddy, I appreciate the feedback and insight! I'll give them a ring to ensure I get the right pump. I won't be able to replace the bad pump for at least a couple of weeks though. Have some travel coming up, plus some planned surgery. Nonetheless, I'll get this bad boy working again. For now here in Phoenix, with heat and all, that's when I usually "store" the Outty... :)

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I use quantam in everything that I work on from atvs to sxs to vehicles. Great customer service and I've only had issues with 2. The g2 outlander pumps are the same as whats in the 2013-2018 ranger 900s. The assembly is different but the pump itself is the same.

Edit: They warrantied both of the problem pumps.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Almost finished up recovering from surgery. So I'm planning to order a new Quantum fuel pump, and will install within the next week or two. I figure since I'll have the Outty all torn down (on the @$$ end), might as well replace the fuel check valves as well? Just get those from the CAN-AM? Or someone have a recommendation and link?

Anything else I should do, whilst I have the rear end torn down? (a major fluids have already been changed)

thanks,

-Jav

·
Registered
2015 Outlander XMR 650
4,788 Posts
Almost finished up recovering from surgery. So I'm planning to order a new Quantum fuel pump, and will install within the next week or two. I figure since I'll have the Outty all torn down (on the @$$ end), might as well replace the fuel check valves as well? Just get those from the CAN-AM? Or someone have a recommendation and link?

Anything else I should do, whilst I have the rear end torn down? (a major fluids have already been changed)

thanks,

-Jav
That's all I did, they're cheap cheap and I'm not aware of any aftermarket options.

Honestly, there's not much more to fiddle with, while you're back there, just pop the RR fender "quarter" off, that'll give you the room/access you need.

·
Registered
2015 Outlander XMR 650
4,788 Posts
Credit where it's due- it was @CanAmRancher1 that re-directed my approach to the fuel pump job on my bike. Thought I was gonna haveta pull the tank, he said "no man, just pop the RH quarter fender off" (y)

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
cool, many thanks to CanAmRancher1 for that tip! that will save a bit of work. :)

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·

Product Result

Quantum came back with what the difference was. the 396-U4T, or rather the "T" version comes with a tank seal. The non "T" part number doesn't include a tank seal. Looks like I need the "T" (tank seal) version, so I'm ordering that.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
a real bummer... I ordered a new pump directly from Quantum on the 13th, and had a delivery for the 16th (last Friday), and was planning the install on Saturday. Being in Phx, it's genereally no problem to ship from CA to AZ and get stuff in a couple of days. Unfortunately, no pump on Friday. So I pinged Quantum via email and no response. I called them yesterday, (FedEx was still showing the product was not given to them as of yet). Quantum said it shipped and they have a tracker with FexEX, trying to hunt it down. If they heard nothing via FedEx today, they'd ship another new unit today and email or call me. Didn't get an update today, but I'll give them a ring tomorrow. Hoping another pump was sent.... Really looking forward to installing the new pump, and getting my ATV functional.

·
Registered
2015 Outlander XMR 650
4,788 Posts
Phooey. I know I'm just the worst, about that kinda stuff, lol.

I'll put off ordering something for weeks, waiting on budget, timeframe, etc, but the minute I order it, I'm looking for a tracking number wanting it the next day etc. :p

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
they're shipping me a new pump today, got the shipper id. so fingers crossed it's here on Friday. :)

21 - 35 of 35 Posts