Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to upgrade from 12" wheels to 14". I want to go with 29" tires vice the 27" on now. Per owners manual, it calls for 14" wheels. I bought the Commander used so guess the original owner changed to 12". Anyway, nobody seems to offer 29" tires on 12" wheels. If I make the change will it cause any issues with clutch. steering links, power, etc? It looks like the 29" tires will clear the fenders ok. I just would like to get an extra inch of ground clearance over what I have now. Thanks in advance for comments.

·
Registered
2015 Outlander XMR 650
2,522 Posts
It's possible the PO pulled the OEM 14's off and used 'em on something else, slapped the 12's on there from whatever he swapped with, heh.

But yeah you won't find many manufacturers still making 28"+ tires for 12" rims, that's just "sooooooo 2000's". I think you can still find some mud lite XL's in a 29/30 on 12", and maybe some terminators? 29.5 on 12", just going from memory....... could be wrong.....

Anytime you upsize your tires, re-clutching is "advised", but perhaps not necessary, depending on how aggressive a change you go for. Personally, I'd slap 29.5's on there over 27" and not worry about anything else, unless your seat of the pants meter just can't deal with the difference in acceleration/power delivery. You may not even tell a difference, some tire manufacturers are just heavier than others, and you could end up with the same rotational weight despite a taller tire.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks BB. I was hoping you would reply. From reading your replies on other posts, it seems like you have a lot of knowledge in this area. I will take your advice.

·
Registered
2015 Outlander XMR 650
2,522 Posts
lol!

Well, I dunno about all thaaaaaat, I've just been having to make due for so many years, I'm unfortunately a self-proclaimed expert in getting the most out of nothing :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

There's a big difference in just some good ole boys tryin to have fun on a recreational level, vs. say being a member of a pro race team or the like, where you have to spend to win.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts