Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have finally completed the modifications on my outlander 450.
Here is a list
26x12x9 Front / 26x12x12 Rear Mud Rebels on stock rims.
BRP fenders
BRP heated grips
BADLANDS 3500 LB winch
LED Halo Headlight upgrade with isolator switch
LED Headlight bulb upgrade
LED Tail light upgrade with isolator switch
Gun rack and LED spotlight
Mossy Oak vinyl wrap

Getting the winch components in the best locations was a bit of a chore. Give me a shout if you intend to install one of these winches, I could save you a lot of time.

pkuzDiIbSvWIXDQadY4TSQ.jpg Isk%53PFSS+mWIv4N2c2tA.jpg %IhoKiLHR%ispu1MEMwMhw.jpg ZHT3yNvWTRiN439o7gGdXg.jpg

·
Registered
554 Posts
Very nice!

How are you liking it?
A '19 450 hunting edition was top of the short list until I came across an older 400.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm liking it a lot more now that I've done the mods. It's a little underpowered but I could not stretch for the 570 which pulls very well.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have finally completed the modifications on my outlander 450.
Here is a list
26x12x9 Front / 26x12x12 Rear Mud Rebels on stock rims.
BRP fenders
BRP heated grips
BADLANDS 3500 LB winch
LED Headlight upgrade with isolator switch
LED Tail light upgrade with isolator switch
Gun rack and LED spotlight
Mossy Oak vinyl wrap

Getting the winch components in the best locations was a bit of a chore. Give me a shout if you intend to install one of these winches, I could save you a lot of time.

View attachment 96895 View attachment 96896 View attachment 96897 View attachment 96898
I am planning on installing a winch, would appreciate your input.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Modifications must be made!
Thats my favorite saying.
Love to see someone take something and make it their own!

Thats great to hear. I guess it all depends on how youre gonna ride and who you ride with....
We all ride the smaller 400s and theres even a bruin 350 that does well so I blow everything away with my outlander....the only "big" bike we ride with isnt a bike, its a 19 teryx 800 but being a sxs I can get ahead of him at will whenever I get tired of eating dust.

Nice mods glad youre happy with it so far.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am planning on installing a winch, would appreciate your input.
You did not specify which model you wanted to put the winch on. I'm assuming it is a 450 or 570.
Harbor freight does a 3500 lb winch for about $130, that's the one I put on mine.
It only has a 5% duty cycle at full load, that's way more than you need for an ATV.
The first problem I had was installing the fuse block, this is where I put it.
KALgXqFoTTW14EaOX3rkhw.jpg
As you can see I did not use the red extension.

The red wire just reaches the relay box that is located at the front of the ATV.
ve9taCJKSIW0CqOOalgf7g.jpg
The Relay box is attached to the crossmember at the front behind grill.

I mounted the winch switch next to the throttle lever.
There was no room on the other side of the handle bars because of the the heated grip controller and the cover that I have on my handlebars.
Ga9EXPKiTS6+iPHksBjBCQ.jpg
I had to take the switch assembly apart and rotate the switch 180° so that it wouldn't be upside down.

I connected the red wire to the 12v accessory outlet.
egCOMornTrGbl3hYQpuidA.jpg
As you can see I have quite a few wires on there.
I will only be drawing power from here one accessory at a time, so that I do not overload it.

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Can you tell me more about the tail light mod? Like exactly which LEDs you bought? Funny thing is is that I was JUST thinking about doing something like that yesterday.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Also, FYI.... with 26" tires.... the Dalton clutch kit for the 450 really wakes it up, if you want a bit more umphhhh for not a lot of money.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Also, FYI.... with 26" tires.... the Dalton clutch kit for the 450 really wakes it up, if you want a bit more umphhhh for not a lot of money.
Thanks for the FYI. I'll see what I can come up with for the taillights.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Can you tell me more about the tail light mod? Like exactly which LEDs you bought? Funny thing is is that I was JUST thinking about doing something like that yesterday.

Okay this is what I came up with.
On Amazon in the automotive parts and accessories, type zrr70 in the search field.
One set is made by Clidr, $19.99
The other one you could use is Yuyue electronic, $13.29
I used the Clidr.

Here's my wiring diagram, it's not perfect but you will get the idea.
I put in a Swiched ground for the front halos and the rear lights so that I can turn them off when I am hunting.
4tIrj9GzRHucwx61OUEzGg.jpg utXwV7s1TzigdGqnMoJocA.jpg

Very important, you will need to put silicone sealant where the wires enter the housing of the lights.
I already ruined a set with my pressure washer.

I hope this helps you out.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
where can i find those Halo lights?

In automotive parts and accessories on Amazon, type in (etopars 2x2.5" cob led).
These have the exact specifications as the ones I bought, which are now out of stock. $20.99
Make sure you get the 2 1/2 inch and seal the Halo wires where they go into the housing with silicone sealant.

·
Registered
38 Posts
thanks! tons of bad reviews on amazon.ca for these.. how are they holding up for you.? would you be able to give a long term report on how they hold up for you in the future?

thanks!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thanks! tons of bad reviews on amazon.ca for these.. how are they holding up for you.? would you be able to give a long term report on how they hold up for you in the future?

thanks!
Yeah, this is my second set. Water got in through the holes where the wires enter the housing.
That's why I said put silicone sealant there.
This set is still working out fine for me.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Okay this is what I came up with.
On Amazon in the automotive parts and accessories, type zrr70 in the search field.
One set is made by Clidr, $19.99
The other one you could use is Yuyue electronic, $13.29
I used the Clidr.

Here's my wiring diagram, it's not perfect but you will get the idea.
I put in a Swiched ground for the front halos and the rear lights so that I can turn them off when I am hunting.
View attachment 96912 View attachment 96913

Very important, you will need to put silicone sealant where the wires enter the housing of the lights.
I already ruined a set with my pressure washer.

I hope this helps you out.
Thank you!!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Hey Matts175,
I looked for this kit and all I could find were a couple of springs for $63.
Is that what you're suggesting?

·
Registered
608 Posts
Hey Matts175,
I looked for this kit and all I could find were a couple of springs for $63.
Is that what you're suggesting?
This: For Can-Am Outlander L 450 2015-2016 Dalton Clutch Spring Kit | eBay

Well.... I guess technically you could call it "a couple of springs". But the value in it is more for what it does. At the same time I was buying my tires, I was talking to Dalton through email. The guy said, do me a favor... put your new tires on FIRST, then ride it for a weekend..... then put the clutch kit in the next weekend, because I want you to see the difference. Yup, he was right. The clutch kit woke it right up.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
The guy said, do me a favor... put your new tires on FIRST, then ride it for a weekend..... then put the clutch kit in the next weekend, because I want you to see the difference. Yup, he was right. The clutch kit woke it right up.
That's great ^^ !
Best bang for the buck :) .

1 - 20 of 21 Posts