Can-Am ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hope you folks are well. New member here. Having a few concerns with this awesome side by side I purchased last year. Bought it a year ago and it's been nothing but great to me so far. Im from Southern California and just got back from taking this ride to Montana last month for an elk hunt. Performed like a champ. This morning I just got back from a Chukar hunt in the Mojave Desert and noticed a loss in performance power. There's certain hills that this ride would climb with ease (4 adults) in the ride a year ago. During todays hunt, my Defender Max was struggling to say the least, climbing those same hills. They're steep graded hills to the point where I'd be in 4WD, Low Gear and have the Lockers engaged as I have on multiple hunt trips last year. Can someone lead me in the right direction as to why this is happening? Do I need to replace the clutch belt? Is it worn out to where it's not gaining traction? Is this normal wear and tear, one year into this beautiful ride? I would be able to get it up to 52 mph in 2WD with ease, can't even get it to 42-43 mph now. I let it warm up. It's not a cold run either. I'm confused and a little concerned. Hopefully this can be an easy repair if anything needs to be repaired or replaced at all. Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you kindly in advance.

-Paolo

·
Nobody Special
2020 Outlander XMR 1000r Max
1,363 Posts
I would start with the belt and clutching. Make sure belt is not wore out, make sure the belt travel is good in the clutches from idle to full speed (in park or neutral). If that all looks good, then check fuel pressure and check the filter sock on the fuel pump. Check air cleaner too.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would start with the belt and clutching. Make sure belt is not wore out, make sure the belt travel is good in the clutches from idle to full speed (in park or neutral). If that all looks good, then check fuel pressure and check the filter sock on the fuel pump. Check air cleaner too.

Thank you kindly for your input. I certainly will. The belt is my first thought but I'm kinda green mechanically. I get to be a dummy and watch Youtube videos on how to replace or at least check it. I have the tools and a spare belt I already have purchased. So I wanna check that out first. I will follow your other protocols there after and keep you posted. Thank you again.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What mode where you in ECO, Work?

This may be a dumb response, but I'm not even sure I have those two modes. if I do, I'm a jackass for not knowing the optional difference to put them in. Now I gotta go start this puppy up and see if I have those to choose from? Are those normal options for the 2020 Can Am Defender Max HD10 Limited?

·
Super Moderator
1,309 Posts
Yes you have those options.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes you have those options.

Ok, thank you man. I'm gonna try to get after it today after work and start this rig up and try to run it in both modes up and down my street for a bit and stretch her legs out. See what comes of it.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Since it's a 2020 Defender it could very well be your Muffler, easy to tell, does it look like it is blown up a bit and is the back creased in? The 2020 Defenders had a problem with the mufflers and they will replace them under warranty. Here's a posting earlier on this issue. (204) 2020 defender max xt hd10 - muffler buckle | Can-Am ATV Forum (can-amforum.com)

It didn't mention it in the above posting, but what the bulletin said was " This article identifies a problem related to the unit's muffler expanding and causing LACK OF PERFORMANCE"

·
Registered
51 Posts
Ok, thank you man. I'm gonna try to get after it today after work and start this rig up and try to run it in both modes up and down my street for a bit and stretch her legs out. See what comes of it.
The Defender offers 3 different driving modes: eco, normal, and work, which can be selected depending on workload demands. The eco mode limits power and saves fuel, the normal mode has no speed or torque limitations, and the work mode adjusts for payload and towing. ... It has quick acceleration and lots of torque

·
Regular Joe
2014 Maverick 1000r
5,958 Posts
Thank you kindly for your input. I certainly will. The belt is my first thought but I'm kinda green mechanically. I get to be a dummy and watch Youtube videos on how to replace or at least check it. I have the tools and a spare belt I already have purchased. So I wanna check that out first. I will follow your other protocols there after and keep you posted. Thank you again.
Easiest/simplest way of giving the belt a pass/fail would just be to compare the engine rpm to the top speed you're hitting. If the engine's screaming and the bike's not going anywhere, odds are that's the belt slipping. But if the engine rpm isn't climbing to what you're accustomed to, then look elsewhere : fuel pump, spark plugs, muffler (as mentioned)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Since it's a 2020 Defender it could very well be your Muffler, easy to tell, does it look like it is blown up a bit and is the back creased in? The 2020 Defenders had a problem with the mufflers and they will replace them under warranty. Here's a posting earlier on this issue. (204) 2020 defender max xt hd10 - muffler buckle | Can-Am ATV Forum (can-amforum.com)

It didn't mention it in the above posting, but what the bulletin said was " This article identifies a problem related to the unit's muffler expanding and causing LACK OF PERFORMANCE"
Dude, it's friggin funny you mention that. There actually is a crease in the back end of the muffler. A very noticeable one. I didn't think too much about it. But now I have to consider that as well. If its replaceable under warranty, I need to get that done asap.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Dude, it's friggin funny you mention that. There actually is a crease in the back end of the muffler. A very noticeable one. I didn't think too much about it. But now I have to consider that as well. If its replaceable under warranty, I need to get that done asap.
Thank you very much for pointing that out.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Easiest/simplest way of giving the belt a pass/fail would just be to compare the engine rpm to the top speed you're hitting. If the engine's screaming and the bike's not going anywhere, odds are that's the belt slipping. But if the engine rpm isn't climbing to what you're accustomed to, then look elsewhere : fuel pump, spark plugs, muffler (as mentioned)
Man, you fellas are absolute gems in trouble shooting my current issue. So my rpm's do get to around the 4300-4700 mark as I vividly noticed prior to my lack of performance issue. And it still gets to that rpm range (screaming if you will) but the speeds not getting to what I'm accustomed to and on my climb the other day... it just wasn't putting out the same climbing efforts as I remember this same hill several times last year. So it looks as though I certainly have to issues to deal with. This being one of them that you eluded to and the crease in my exhaust or muffler as the other gentlemen eluded to. Seems like two easy enough repairs/replacements. I drove it today finally on my street in both, WORK mode and ECO mode.... it's hard to tell the climbing performance as Im not on that hill I was on this past Sunday. But I suppose before my next hunt in a few weeks, I'm gonna try to get both of those issues resolved.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The Defender offers 3 different driving modes: eco, normal, and work, which can be selected depending on workload demands. The eco mode limits power and saves fuel, the normal mode has no speed or torque limitations, and the work mode adjusts for payload and towing. ... It has quick acceleration and lots of torque

So I tried all 3 modes today finally as I mentioned to the other gentleman on this thread. I still didn't get up to the speed I am accustom to when I first opened this baby up in normal mode. Same with ECO mode. WORK mode certainly won't get me to that top speed. Thank you for breaking all modes down for me. I can't be able to assess real time if work mode would put me up that hill as I'm not there again for now. So before I go to my next hunt in the same area in a few weeks... I suppose my next steps are to check my clutch belt and also my creased muffler that another individual pointed out to me. Apparently the warrantee will cover that and so I certainly intend to get that replaced. Thank you for your insight and guidance man. You guys in here are awesome.

·
Super Moderator
1,309 Posts
Go to eco mode off then see what your rpm is. It should be a noticeable difference between eco, work, and eco off. You should see about 5800 rpm when you punch it and then it will climb from there to pry 6800.

Sounds like you are down on power.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Dude, I just got off with the dealership that has serviced my CanAm once before and without even budging... said yeah were aware of that issue. No problem, bring it in and we'll replace it. Only thing he said were about 2 weeks out so if it's ok to schedule Dec. 23. Im like pencil me in man. I'll bring it then. So that end will be resolved. Thank you bro. I'm still gonna check my clutch belt in the meantime as well.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Go to eco mode off then see what your rpm is. It should be a noticeable difference between eco, work, and eco off. You should see about 5800 rpm when you punch it and then it will climb from there to pry 6800.

Sounds like you are down on power.

Ok, I'll try that. I'll potentially reach those numbers, in ECO mode off, I'm guessing, correct? And If I don't, its a good possibility that my creased exhaust may be in part one of the roots of that cause. The clutch belt could also be a culprit as I'll check that tomorrow when I have some time to pull apart.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thank you for your input man. It seems for now Ive narrowed it down to my creased muffler and some in this thread have eluded to which I'm getting replaced per manufacturer in two weeks and I'll be looking at the wear and tear of my clutch belt next, hopefully tomorrow when I have some time to open it up.

·
Super Moderator
1,309 Posts
In work it will eventually get to that rpm. In eco it will not get that high.

Yah I think it is probably your exhaust.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts