Can-Am ATV Forum banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Dude, it's friggin funny you mention that. There actually is a crease in the back end of the muffler. A very noticeable one. I didn't think too much about it. But now I have to consider that as well. If its replaceable under warranty, I need to get that done asap.
Yeah, they will do it at no cost to you. Both mine and my brothers were out of the original warranty (although I do have the extended warranty but my brother doesn't), and they took care of them both (about a 20-minute job for them). It sounds like their fully aware of the problem at your dealership and will have you covered.

Keep us advised of the end results of everything and good luck.

·
Regular Joe
2014 Maverick 1000r
5,982 Posts
@Chief... did you detect a noticeable drop or reduction in power due to the muffler issue? Or additional, after the replacement?

I completely understand the potential affect on power, this muffler issue, could have, I'm just curious as to the actual affect

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
@Chief... did you detect a noticeable drop or reduction in power due to the muffler issue? Or additional, after the replacement?

I completely understand the potential affect on power, this muffler issue, could have, I'm just curious as to the actual affect
Yes I did notice quite a bit of power reduction on our last ride when climbing long steep hills and also when making deep river crossings. I basically put it out of my mind when we got back home and hadn't done any trouble shooting on it until I noticed the muffler. After the muffler was replaced I haven't done any riding except to unload it and put it into the garage, however even in that short little drive I noticed a marked improvement in throttle response and my brother remarked that he noticed the same thing on his.
Driving up the steep hills before, if I gave it more gas I could feel it accelerating, on that last trip there was no real acceleration. Thinking about it now, if I had to put a number on it I would say it was between 10-15% loss of power.

Reactions: BombardierBomb

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·

Yeah, they will do it at no cost to you. Both mine and my brothers were out of the original warranty (although I do have the extended warranty but my brother doesn't), and they took care of them both (about a 20-minute job for them). It sounds like their fully aware of the problem at your dealership and will have you covered.

Keep us advised of the end results of everything and good luck.
So my muffler replacement will take place on Dec 23rd. That’s the earliest appt the dealership had for me but said it’s not a problem at all. They’ll swap it out no questions asked. I’m gonna see if I can upload a pic of my current muffler. I’m sure it’s exactly what you guys are eluding to. Stand by

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
So my muffler replacement will take place on Dec 23rd. That’s the earliest appt the dealership had for me but said it’s not a problem at all. They’ll swap it out no questions asked. I’m gonna see if I can upload a pic of my current muffler. I’m sure it’s exactly what you guys are eluding to. Stand by
So did the replacement resolve the problem???

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
So did the replacement resolve the problem???
Chief, how are ya. Apologies for the delayed reply. So get this, these douche cans at Del Amo Motorsports here in Redondo Beach, California basically wasted a two week appointment for me on Dec. 23 as I took a day off a work, trailered my Can Am and brought it in as we had scheduled as per the guy I spoke with that said verbatim before we confirm an appointment and not waste my time, he'd check with Can Am manufacturer to make sure it's a replaceable part under manufacture warrantee. They call me back, confirm all is well for the swap out of the muffler/exhaust assembly for the scheduled Dec. 23 appt. Sounded like they've done this before. I was psyched. 23rd roles around, I get there 1/2 before open with Can Am on my trailer and these worthless mother fuckers sit around like they don't know what to do. They assure me yeah were gonna take a look at it, were gonna handle this customer here right before you. I go ok cool, want me to unload my rig while Im waiting or would it be just as easy for you guys to observe on the trailer? Oh yeah, that'd be a good idea, yeah take it off the trailer. Ok yeah no shit right. Clearly I didn't say that out loud. I have it ready for them. When they get to me, I get the ok, we gotta take pictures of the exhaust, get your vin # and then call Can Am Manufacture and see if they cover it. I'm like wait, wtf? Come again? Yeah, we can't change anything unless we get manufacture approval by Can Am. I go dude 2 weeks ago we set this appointment for this bullshit? I took a day off work, loaded my trailer to come here to be told this bullshit. Where's the Josh kid I spoke to on the phone who set this up who sounded sure as can be that this was an easy job quick swap out and that Can Am approved the exchange. He point me to him, I go what's up Josh? Im Paolo you spoke to on the phone a few weeks ago about this rig. You even went the extra mile to say lemme make sure Can Am has this as a recall part or replaceable part under warrantee before I secure the appt with you for the 23rd verbatim. Called me back and said it's a go. I go damn man, you are a motherfucking used car salesman on the phone. What happened to that guy? He didn't say a word to me. I go lemme speak to your guys' manager man. This is such a poorly managed appointment it's embarrassing. I go how can you stand there with a straight face dude? Aren't you ashamed of yourself? Manager comes out... they call Can Am and he tells me vie the part number along with the vin # of my 2020 Can Am Defender Max HD10 Limited, this part isn't covered as a recall part nor is it covered under manufacturers waurantee. I'm like, that's odd cuz your guy Josh here even was kind enough to say he'd call me back a few weeks ago after he'd confirm with Can Am if it was a replaceable part under warrantee. That's the very reason why I'm here this morning with this rig in your shop. Furthermore, this other cat tells me they'd need first to get my vin # to submit along with photos of the problem and/or part to submit to the manufacturer and so on. I'm like I coulda provided all of this info and photos to you vie email in an instant two weeks ago and avoided all this confusion. Long story short they were certain that it wasn't covered. I kept eluding to the testimonials I read on here from fellow Can Am owners that experienced the same exhaust issues and they had no problem with their dealerships or mechanics replacing the part as a manufacturer warrantee. They were firm in saying you were right here seeing me talk to them on the phone and provided your vin, the actual factory part and they didn't have it as a recall or replaceable part per manufacturer warrantee. Just a total waste of my my morning.

I found the factory part online, purchased it for about $565 shipped about a week ago. Waiting for it to arrive any day now and install it myself. Unbelievable man. Just an absolute unnecessary shit show of an appointment. What a waste. That's my story man. I suppose I can update you when I install the new exhaust. I've watched a few Youtube videos on it. Seems pretty easy as a plug and play replacement. Sorry I didn't have better news.

·
Nobody Special
2020 Outlander XMR 1000r Max
1,373 Posts
Makes me think of the lady that threw the tire through the window at Discount Tire.

Reactions: AZ8

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Makes me think of the lady that threw the tire through the window at Discount Tire.
I suppose I could be that petulant child and do something like that but it's not worth it. I guess my verbal "fucking idiot diatribe" didn't accomplish much either. What a waste of a morning for me. And so shameful on their behalf in poorly handling that appointment.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
I wish you would have told us that you were having an issue, I could have gotten you a copy of the BRP letter. I asked my brother and he sent me a copy of it. Probably too late, but I am attaching copy here.

P.S. we had to same scenario of them wanting to take a picture and get the vin #. We brought them in for that and they called us back before we even got halfway home and said it was approved and they had put the order in for the new mufflers. A week later it was in and scheduled the install a few days later. 
Font Material property Paper Document Paper product

Reactions: AZ8

·
Registered
2017 Defender HD8
434 Posts
To the OP, I would print that letter Chief posted, take it to your dealer and demand they write you a check for the $565 you spent on self-repair!

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Chief, how are ya. Apologies for the delayed reply. So get this, these douche cans at Del Amo Motorsports here in Redondo Beach, California basically wasted a two week appointment for me on Dec. 23 as I took a day off a work, trailered my Can Am and brought it in as we had scheduled as per the guy I spoke with that said verbatim before we confirm an appointment and not waste my time, he'd check with Can Am manufacturer to make sure it's a replaceable part under manufacture warrantee. They call me back, confirm all is well for the swap out of the muffler/exhaust assembly for the scheduled Dec. 23 appt. Sounded like they've done this before. I was psyched. 23rd roles around, I get there 1/2 before open with Can Am on my trailer and these worthless mother fuckers sit around like they don't know what to do. They assure me yeah were gonna take a look at it, were gonna handle this customer here right before you. I go ok cool, want me to unload my rig while Im waiting or would it be just as easy for you guys to observe on the trailer? Oh yeah, that'd be a good idea, yeah take it off the trailer. Ok yeah no shit right. Clearly I didn't say that out loud. I have it ready for them. When they get to me, I get the ok, we gotta take pictures of the exhaust, get your vin # and then call Can Am Manufacture and see if they cover it. I'm like wait, wtf? Come again? Yeah, we can't change anything unless we get manufacture approval by Can Am. I go dude 2 weeks ago we set this appointment for this bullshit? I took a day off work, loaded my trailer to come here to be told this bullshit. Where's the Josh kid I spoke to on the phone who set this up who sounded sure as can be that this was an easy job quick swap out and that Can Am approved the exchange. He point me to him, I go what's up Josh? Im Paolo you spoke to on the phone a few weeks ago about this rig. You even went the extra mile to say lemme make sure Can Am has this as a recall part or replaceable part under warrantee before I secure the appt with you for the 23rd verbatim. Called me back and said it's a go. I go damn man, you are a motherfucking used car salesman on the phone. What happened to that guy? He didn't say a word to me. I go lemme speak to your guys' manager man. This is such a poorly managed appointment it's embarrassing. I go how can you stand there with a straight face dude? Aren't you ashamed of yourself? Manager comes out... they call Can Am and he tells me vie the part number along with the vin # of my 2020 Can Am Defender Max HD10 Limited, this part isn't covered as a recall part nor is it covered under manufacturers waurantee. I'm like, that's odd cuz your guy Josh here even was kind enough to say he'd call me back a few weeks ago after he'd confirm with Can Am if it was a replaceable part under warrantee. That's the very reason why I'm here this morning with this rig in your shop. Furthermore, this other cat tells me they'd need first to get my vin # to submit along with photos of the problem and/or part to submit to the manufacturer and so on. I'm like I coulda provided all of this info and photos to you vie email in an instant two weeks ago and avoided all this confusion. Long story short they were certain that it wasn't covered. I kept eluding to the testimonials I read on here from fellow Can Am owners that experienced the same exhaust issues and they had no problem with their dealerships or mechanics replacing the part as a manufacturer warrantee. They were firm in saying you were right here seeing me talk to them on the phone and provided your vin, the actual factory part and they didn't have it as a recall or replaceable part per manufacturer warrantee. Just a total waste of my my morning.

I found the factory part online, purchased it for about $565 shipped about a week ago. Waiting for it to arrive any day now and install it myself. Unbelievable man. Just an absolute unnecessary shit show of an appointment. What a waste. That's my story man. I suppose I can update you when I install the new exhaust. I've watched a few Youtube videos on it. Seems pretty easy as a plug and play replacement. Sorry I didn't have better news.
That reminds me of going to the dealership when we were having a problems of crack frames on the Outlander 1000's, I had went to the dealer several times inquiring of a fix for the issue and told them that several people on this forum had this issue and they told me that most these type forums did not know what they were talking about. At least four different times they assured me that there was no identified problem, then the fifth time after again assuring me that I was incorrect of there being a problem I handed them the letter from BRP stating there was an issue and if an owner wanted a brace put on that is was covered. They were very surprised and thanked me for the letter and advised me that it didn't apply to my ride, they claimed that there had to be a visible crack (even though the wording in the letter was very clear that it was an owner's choice (crack or no crack)). I wrote a letter to CPSC, and they actually sent an investigator (from Texas to Alaska) to check my complaint out. After looking at my ride she went and visited the dealership and low and behold they decided to do a COURTESY REPAIR for me. They never did admit that they were wrong.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I wish you would have told us that you were having an issue, I could have gotten you a copy of the BRP letter. I asked my brother and he sent me a copy of it. Probably too late, but I am attaching copy here.

P.S. we had to same scenario of them wanting to take a picture and get the vin #. We brought them in for that and they called us back before we even got halfway home and said it was approved and they had put the order in for the new mufflers. A week later it was in and scheduled the install a few days later.  View attachment 105402
That's great news man. I'm glad they were able to resolve this issue with you guys. I didn't have the same luck as I mentioned the manager called Can Am or BRP right there in front of me while I was there cuz I was pissed with the run around that was given to me after I was told by phone, all is well, bring in the ride on the 23rd and then I show up to the nonsense that I had to deal with on the 23rd. I printed out that letter you provided. Thanks man. I suppose I can go back and see if I can get reimbursed for the muffler I purchased. Gonna be a tough convincing but doesn't hurt to try.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
To the OP, I would print that letter Chief posted, take it to your dealer and demand they write you a check for the $565 you spent on self-repair!
I printed it out and I'm gonna see what they say about it. Thanks man.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Fellas,
I am writing this as a follow up to all of you on this thread that helped me out in one way or another in regards to my issue I posted about a few months ago. The muffler assembly that I ordered finally came in this past Thursday (the day before I was leaving for a quail/chukar hunting trip over this past weekend in the Mojave Desert here in California.

So I will state first of all, I'm not the most mechanically inclined individual but Im a quick learner and I read things well. I looked up on Youtube how to replace this assembly on a Can Am Defender and it seemed easy enough. I was a little hesitant to open this pandora's box the day I was to load my trailer up to leave at 3am the following morning. I kinda wanted to leave this project for when I returned from this trip and to just endure the reduced performance for the duration of this weekend outing. My instincts said fuck it, I'm going in. Thanks to all of you on this thread, I built the confidence to just get after it after such a disappointing sequence of events that I described earlier with the dealership.

I will submit photos of the old muffler and my newly installed one. It took me about an hour total with removal of the damaged one and installing of the new one. I will say this... it's simpler then it looks with the exception of this particular fastening clamp that retrained the actual exhaust to the next section of the exhaust assembly. Was a bit of a MF to detach the muffler itself from that next section. I had to use a little WD-40 and a rubber mallet to hammer it away and separate it. The install of the new one was easier. I needed a 1/2" and 5/8" whatever you call it wrenches. The screws were kinda in a FU, were Canadian we can do what we want position, but manageable.

Now the performance. Was this the root of the problem? I will 100% unequivocally say it was certainly the root of my lack of power issue. Jesus, what a difference this replacement made. I went with the stock OEM replacement rather then an after market performance muffler. I wanted to keep the quiet 4 stroke prrrrrrrrrr of this ride for hunting purposes.
How do I know this made the difference.... I will explain that prior to replacing this exhaust that has been compressed, I could no longer get to 40 mph without a struggle in regular mode (No ECO, NO WORK, just regular mode). If I got to 40 mph with my foot to the ground.... I was reaching. Fast forward to replacement exhaust and my outing this weekend... I had 5 grown men in the ride (myself included). Avg weight about 170-175. About 850 lbs on board along with 5 shotguns, ice chest, tool kit, 3 gal spare gas tank, shovel, axe, yada yada yada. This mofo opened up to 59 mph with ease and I could feel this thing jerk our heads back with the torque from a dead stop...in 2WD Hi to be clear. I have a pic of the dash while around 52-53 mph. When climbing some nice uneven canyon washouts and rutted terrain, this thing was back to awesome mode and climbed like a tractor with ease which is what I first remember this thing doing prior to the exhaust damage. So, in conclusion.... the exhaust was certainly the issue.

I want to reiterate a huge shout out to all of you on here for your efforts and assistance in walking me through everything with troubleshooting various suggestions. Freewill, AZ8, Parkavelaundry, CanamRancher1, Chief, BombardierBomb... thank you kindly to all of you for taking the time to help me out. I am indebted to all a you. I would buy you a beer instantly if we were near. Thank you guys a million. You certainly instilled confidence in me trying to do something my own damn self when you want something done right I guess. And it was certainly rewarding when my fellow hunting buddies instantly recognized the positive results from our last hunt.

Kindest regards,

Paolo

Pictures to follow.

·
Super Moderator
1,323 Posts
Excellent follow up. Glad we could help.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Reactions: PFuni1910

·
Regular Joe
2014 Maverick 1000r
5,982 Posts
Reactions: PFuni1910
21 - 36 of 36 Posts