Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2020 CanAm Defender that was taken thru a mud/water hole above the gas tank with the gas cap OFF. We were not aware of the gas cap off until it cut off and would not crank up, then noticed the gas cap off. We took gas tank off & cleaned it & cleaned fuel filter and put it back together. It will crank now, but it is skipping really bad & the gas light won't go off. Any ideas on how to fix?

·
The Enforcer
10,148 Posts
can ams have a filter in the tank did you check it too?? also make sure there is no mud in the tank holding the gauge float down

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, we cleaned the filter in the tank too. And yes, we took tank off completely and made sure no mud or water left in it before we put it back together. The float and everything inside tank has no mud or anything on it now.

·
Registered
2015 Outlander XMR 650
3,023 Posts
More than likely the fuel pump is scarred/damaged, from trying to pump that watery/muddy mix, and can't maintain minimum system pressure.

That, or it managed to push enough sediment downstream to plug/clog an injector.

Either way, I can't see this being something you're gonna resolve with "cleaning", more than likely components will need replacing. That fuel gauge sweep is a very delicate setup, the sand and sediment floating in the gas could've just wiped the contacts out, so it can't read level, and you just get that empty signal.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was really hoping we wouldn't have to change parts, ugh. Thank you for the reply & we will be taking it to the shop then.

·
Registered
2015 Outlander XMR 650
3,023 Posts
If it ran long enough with that contaminated gas, to die, I can't really see how the fuel pump would escape damage. I'd like to be wrong, but based on what you're reporting, it didn't....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts