Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2020 defender that went into Limp mode with the check engine light on today. I limped it for 10 min to get to a spot where I could trailer it home. After getting it home the machine stalled twice while trying to get it off the trailer and while running it sounds very sluggish. The machine has 72 hours on it. Anyone else having any kind of issue similar to this?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had this exact issue with my 2021 Limited Max - limp mode exactly the same - ultimate summary was a cracked spark plug and it had about 10 hours on it from the factory - it really idled rough always and then went into limp mode. I have had three Limited Max's in the past three years and with the new plug this one now runs better than the other bay far.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. I tried putting new sparks plugs in and nothing changed. My guess right now is a sensor somewhere. The shitty thing is the machine can’t get into a shop for a month.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Sounds like it may be starving for fuel? There’s a filter inside the gas tank that has caused problems. There’s some youtube vids on it. Here’s a recent thread.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
any codes displayed?

·
Registered
2016 Can-Am Outlander Max XT 650
525 Posts

·
Registered
906 Posts

Here is a video for pulling codes. Yours is different because it will have the newer screen. I think if you follow the same steps and click the mode button you should be able to get the code. If yah can't figure it out I will have access to a 2020 model tomorrow and see if I can figure out how to pull codes.

I don't have the service manual for a 2020 yet or I would tell yah the exact procedure.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Reactions: xsever

·
Registered
906 Posts
Reactions: BombardierBomb

·
Registered
906 Posts
Not sure if you can read the pictures, but basically it looks like the throttle pedal sensor and the tps on intake are not working correctly. Check connections first. Check all fuses also.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Ok since I don't have vip those pics are unreadable. When I get time I will write up what they say.

·
Registered
906 Posts
P160E:Electrical Throttle Actuator ( fault ETA) control
Disconnect ETC Measure the resistance of the harness wires, between the ECM and tested device connectors (Expected value < 2 Ohms)

P060E:Throttle position performance.
Disconnect the associated ECM connector Measure the resistance of the harness wires, between the ECM and sensor connectors (Expected value < 2 Ohms)

P1613:Electrical Throttle Actuator
Disconnect ETC
Measure the resistance of the harness wires, between the ECM and tested device connectors (Expected value < 2 Ohms)

P1615:TPS position deviation fault

This is what the service manual says for these codes. It really might be easiest to take it to your dealer unless you wanna test all the wires. If you do I recommend getting a service manual and going through the wiring schematic.

If you checked battery voltage and connections, connections at the tps and and throttle pedal then I do not have a great direction to point you in.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts