Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2020 outlander max xt 1000
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I very recently had a thread taking suggestions for a new outlander max. After lots of discussion and test rides my wife and I decided we’re getting a outlander max xt. Now the big question is 850 or 1000. At first I said of course the 1000 but, is the price difference worth the 13hp?

I was impressed with both motors but was given a price difference of $1700 more to get the 1000. The 1000xt has a factory promotion of $250 which knocks the price down to $1500 more than the 850.

I ride with a group of all Polaris’s (I’m not a fan) and they all knock can-am so I hear the typical how they’re not reliable and blah blah..... So of course I’m gonna regret asking but is there any more reliability between the 850 or 1000?

I know some people have said to wait till summer for promotions but I have a trip in 3 weeks and am looking to buy before then as I just sold my grizzly to a friend.
Thanks in advance for the input

·
Registered
44 Posts
I got a 2019 850 XT Max and I have no regrets thing is a beast. Of course I was coming up from a 360 Kawasaki so. But my delema was the 850 or the limited, that air ride suspension sounded nice.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
319 Posts
I would recommend the 1000 if you have the extra funds. I have a 1000 max limited and love it. I mainly trail rife and use it to plow snow so the little bit extra I paid for for the extra horsepower was worth it to me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Now that right there is funny !
Do any of them ride one of those Scrambler things that basically self destruct around 1k mi :) .
no they all have sportsman’s, 1 ace, and 1 rzr, but every single 1 has loose steering, voltage problems, and are constantly over to use my shop press for wheel bearings

This is a hard decision. Everyone that owns a 850 says it’s plenty but those of you who own 1000 says it’s worth it hmm ?.... by the way, my wife said the classic “do whatever you want”

·
Registered
565 Posts
I love our 650 and so does the wife (and she used to own a 1200cc Harley). I have been bouncing ideas off from her about upgrading to a 4 seater down the road, or just a 1000cc max XT.. She thinks the 650 has more than enough for what we use it for, and she's right, especially since it has only seen above 45mph MAYBE 5 times in it's life..

HOWEVER the one time we did was on the final stretch of a 120 mile ride and our friends (who own an 850) just walked right by us as i had it pegged at the 64mph mark.. It's always better to have the power and not need it, than to need it, and not have it.

Buy which ever you want/can afford and try to keep the mud out of your teeth while you're out there having fun!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I still read about how 1000s run hot and and are melting plastic. Like I said, this will be my first can am so I truly don’t know

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
I wouldn't pay all that dough for 15 extra ponies .
You could get that with a tune / pipe & clutch on the 850 .
JMHO .
-Bonz

·
Registered
446 Posts
Well with those 3 things your almost at the price diffrence. Plus your time or shop time

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just read a lot of people say just that as in a 850 can perform with a 1000 with a ecu tune and clutch. But then why not just have it perform stock? Is the reliability not there on the 1000? Or is the value/price difference the big deciding factor? Don’t get me wrong, I love modding my machines (I at 1 time had a 85hp banshee that I made from the ground up). And I’m sure whatever I get will only be untouched for a short period of time but I am just trying to justify my purchase.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Get the 1000 already! If you can afford it do it man you will not regret it. Both motors are pretty reliable. If they made a 1200 I'd sell my machine and buy that. You can never have enough power.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sounds likethe 1000 might be the reality. The wife says so, dealership said can-ams promotions reset tonight and she’s gonna give me a call tomorrow and let me know what’s new

·
Registered
446 Posts
As long as you enjoy your purchase that's all that matters... my wife ban me from the 1000 because of my no fear riding style and taking a machine to its limits... and not by speed as I'm a technical rider...lol

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My wife generally accepts my judgement other than my last snowmobile, motorcycle, and drag banshee I used to have. She rode each 1 once and that was it. She’ll climb any hill with me but when it comes to speed she backs out.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I was torn between the 850 and the 1000 on my purchase. I realized that the money put into an 850 would bring me to a 1000 power level anyway...but I also knew I was going to do the basic "reliability mods" anyway. I decided to go with the 1000. Got a tune, and while it was getting tuned (at wholesale ATV) I bought some lava wrap and completely wrapped the exhaust. The left panel barely got WARM on a 4 hour ride in October. The tune reduces header temps to begin with but I wanted to be as preventative as possible with the body panels and the engine.

The added bonus is you get to say you own a 1k quad

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have a 17 850 Outlander, ONLY cause that was the biggest available at my shit hole dealer. Only other dealer is 25 miles away. But, it's a 2up, and I'm a justin case kinda dude, so its loaded down, still never any power issues. Even my wife gained a few lbs recently.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 44 Posts