Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I have read through all the "Outlander knock" discussions on this forum but haven't seen a discussion that matched my problem..
I recently bought a brand new XMR 1000 and have put about 7 hours on it so far. Being still in the break-in period, I haven't been abusing it at all. At 6 hours, I noticed when the motor gets up to a normal operating temperature it has a light knock that is noticeable at idle. It is coming from the right hand side of the motor and sounds like a rod knock.. Is this just part of the "normal noises" or is it something I should be concerned about? I can hear the valves clicking so I know that isn't the noise I am hearing. Could it be a rod knocking this early? Or is it something that will go away after I get a few more hours on it?
I have a lot of experience with aircraft Rotax engines but this is the first new can-am I have bought so I am unfamiliar with what I should expect. I am hoping someone here has some experience with this and can help me out!

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have a 2020 1000 with about 15 hours on it. I never came across a knock per se, but I have noticed a very light tap at idle from the upper part of the engine. My guess is it's just valves and I will have to check out their clearances. A KNOCK is something different.
Now that you know it's there...can you hear it when the engine is cold (and then gets louder as the engine warms up)? Does the knock get louder if you crack the throttle open or blip it in N or P? Can you aggravate it at all?
Since your approaching 10 hours anyway... My quick experiments would be to add some Lucas oil stabilizer or "motor honey" and see if it goes away or at least quiets down... If there's a change, then oil viscosity is definitely a factor, and there's something out of tolerance.

The knock might be way too quiet for this test...but take off your cvt cover and with the engine hot (and off!!) See if you can gently/slowly wiggle the primary clockwise and counter clockwise and see if you can hear or feel some slack inside the engine.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The knock does follow engine RPM’s but gets a little harder to hear over the exhaust.. when it’s cold there is no knock at all, and it only starts when it gets up to about 180 degrees. I’ll try the Lucas oil to see if that helps! Is the break in oil from the factory thinner than the normal oil?
Here’s a video of what it sounds like exactly, not mine but the same issue I found on a different post on this forum.

I don’t like having a problem like this so early!

Can I ask what you did for your break in period?

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
As much as this is probably going to end up as a wasted effort, you've got a new machine there, not even at it's first 10hr break-in service, and you're alarmed over some abnormal knocking coming from the bottom end, that you'd equate to "rod knock"?? Did I summarize that correctly?

That's an issue for your dealer to address/resolve. Good luck

·
Registered
68 Posts
I would have to agree with bomber there. this is not something that's happening at 50 hours where there's a lot of variables. This is something that may have been an issue from day one. Ive seen that video on here. I think the guy took it to the dealership and he got the machine back with an even worse knock!

I don't think there's any special oil used for break-in. The first oil change is probably going to be pretty dirty because I'm sure there's a lot of assembly lube used, but there's no special break in oil that I'm aware of. Add some Lucas on the next oil change, or take a gulp out of the fill tube with a little nylon siphon hose, and add a gulp back of Lucas. If you can change the viscosity enough for the sound to change, you can at least localize where the problem is.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Let me know what happens BRP finnaly acknowledged mine was a knock after fighting back and forth with them and the dealer for over a month.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The knock does follow engine RPM’s but gets a little harder to hear over the exhaust.. when it’s cold there is no knock at all, and it only starts when it gets up to about 180 degrees. I’ll try the Lucas oil to see if that helps! Is the break in oil from the factory thinner than the normal oil?
Here’s a video of what it sounds like exactly, not mine but the same issue I found on a different post on this forum.

I don’t like having a problem like this so early!

Can I ask what you did for your break in period?
I beat the absolute crap out of mine. I broke it in how I I intend to drive it. Cold start to red line warm ups.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
BombardierBomb you got it spot on, I’ve called the dealer and they’ve told me to bring it in to see what’s going on.
I’ve checked the oil and it still looks pretty fresh, once I get the oil changed I’ll cut the filter to see if there’s any metal. I also plan on doing an oil analysis to start a little trend monitoring.. can’t hurt right?
I’ve put a few more hours on it and got a little over the 10 hour mark and there’s still no change in the knock. I’ve even had people ask me if it was knocking which makes me feel a bit better because now I know I’m not crazy and hearing things that aren’t there.
Zackoff3, I’m glad you’re making progress with the dealer, I’ll keep you updated with my experience. Hopefully this will pave the way for a recall or something if there are more people with this problem.
Other than this issue I haven’t had any other problems and I’m completely happy with it!
Thank you for all the inputs, I’ll give another update after I bring it to the dealer

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hearing this on a new machine is scary, I intend to purchase a new xmr in a few months and I’ll be watching this thread closely. I hope they get it sorted out for you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So here is an update, sorry for the delay..

I took it in to the dealer for the first oil change and they listened to it. They told me if it got any worse to bring it back to them and just keep an eye in it. After that I've taken it out and put about 20-25 more hours on it. The noise continuously got better and better as the hours went by so I never brought it back to the dealer.. I guess it was just the break-in oil getting thin?
My buddy bought a 850 XMR a few weeks after I bought mine and now his is making the same noise mine did. He hasn't had his first oil change but I bet it will go away like mine did.

For anyone buying a new Outlander just remember to not overthink all the strange noises you may hear! I am completely happy with my purchase, now I just wish I had more time to ride!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts