Can-Am ATV Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I’ve got a 2021 450 outlander that needs to fit through a narrow bridge. Without flares it fits without scraping the sides.
I’d like to install mud flaps, to help prevent being covered in mud (stock tires), but the dealers parts guy says I need the fender flares to install the mud flaps. Fender flares widen the profile so I’d scrape through the bridge.
Does anyone have experience with the G2L mud flap fitting without flares, or a good after market/diy solution?

·
Registered
2021 Outlander Max 450 DPS
585 Posts
I had the same dilemma, with 1'' wider tires (1/2'' each side) there was a bit too much mud getting on the machine especially on the back rack. My riding is in very close quarters and I definitely cannot afford the extra width from adding fender flares.
So I cut up a couple of boot trays that mount on the back. At first it seemed that they could be mounted on the XT rear bumper but it turns out they work better fixed to the fender. Not the best looking set up but they work for me.
Will try to get some photos up tomorrow.

·
Registered
585 Posts
As promised. These 'mud phlaps' are something only a mother could love so please wait a few hours after eating to view the photos.:sick:
Tire Automotive tire Wheel Automotive lighting Hood
Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Combat vehicle Vehicle

Before these were added, the back rack (and me too sometimes) would get large blobs of mud the consistency of fresh cow cakes all over. Now not so much.

Tire Vehicle Wheel Automotive tire Tread

·
Super Moderator
2015 Outlander XMR 650
5,622 Posts
Eh, that's not revolting 🤷‍♂️

I mean, I've seen worse, and hey, functional and free? ride on (without flinging poo) ;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited by Moderator)
As promised. These 'mud phlaps' are something only a mother could love so please wait a few hours after eating to view the photos.:sick:
View attachment 104731 View attachment 104732

Before these were added the back rack (and me too sometimes) would get large blobs of mud the consistency of fresh cow cakes all over. Now not so much.
those look like they work well.
this isn’t a Fourth of July parade rig is it?
Headed off to get materials for flap fabrication now. Will post photos.

·
Registered
2022 Outlander 850 XT ordered 😉
310 Posts
Not obvious from the previous photos but this is the shape cut out of the shoe tray to make the mud phlaps.
View attachment 104733
Congrats Tozguy !
Honestly, looks pretty good.
I had done something a little similar on my 2016. Cheap and did the job. Some of my friends would laugh at me but !!!!!!!
Again like other members said, if they do the job who cares.Your happy, and you smell good :p

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi
I’ve got a 2021 450 outlander that needs to fit through a narrow bridge. Without flares it fits without scraping the sides.
I’d like to install mud flaps, to help prevent being covered in mud (stock tires), but the dealers parts guy says I need the fender flares to install the mud flaps. Fender flares widen the profile so I’d scrape through the bridge.
Does anyone have experience with the G2L mud flap fitting without flares, or a good after market/diy solution?
Heres what I’ve done. A remnant edpm @3/16 ($10) through bolted to plumber’s strapping wrapped around rear cargo tubing the aluminum bar helps support the overhang. Trails wait until May 2022 as it’s snow season here. Will replace the plumbers strap with ‘J’ style retainer clamps when found locally. Will cut hole for exhaust, though end of pipe to flap is 5” when stationary. Test needed.
Comments?
Automotive tire Bumper Motor vehicle Asphalt Automotive exterior

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive exterior Hood

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Hood
Automotive tire Bumper Motor vehicle Asphalt Automotive exterior
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive exterior Hood
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Hood

·
Super Moderator
2015 Outlander XMR 650
5,622 Posts
Sure looks functional, for a rough draft. I'm not a fan of how wide they are, do they really need to cover that much of the rear of the bike? Sounds like you could resolve that tailpipe concern by simply cutting em down a little skinnier.

How about moving the mounting brackets to the downbars/uprights, instead of the top flat rack? Looks like it'd be a little chore if you needed to strap something through the top rack, with the brackets in the way.

Reactions: Tozguy

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sure looks functional, for a rough draft. I'm not a fan of how wide they are, do they really need to cover that much of the rear of the bike? Sounds like you could resolve that tailpipe concern by simply cutting em down a little skinnier.

How about moving the mounting brackets to the downbars/uprights, instead of the top flat rack? Looks like it'd be a little chore if you needed to strap something through the top rack, with the brackets in the way.
The flaps are large by design. I frequently pull a trailer with supplies. This has a lower deck, a build up out over the wheels and a raised section over the wheels. All welded metal with plywood covering. Mud COVERS the trailer bottom to top-front to back and over the top. Larger flaps will help prevent that splatter, though a test and modification will need to wait for mud season. The rear rack generally holds a cooler of delicate foods that is ratchet strapped over the top from side to side. I could still get a hook under the rear tube. No doubt there will be modifications during field trials.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Just a follow-up on my 'floppy anti-fling phlaps', I thought that you might like to see the splatter pattern from my last ride.
Because of the wider tires and the lack of fender flares some of the mud from the front tire gets on the back fender and rack. Overall it seems like the phlaps are keeping a significant amount of mud coming off the back tires from reaching the rear rack.
Helmet Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Bumper
Bumper Road surface Safety glove Tool Automotive exterior
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Tread Automotive exterior Motor vehicle

·
Nobody Special
2020 Outlander XMR 1000r Max
1,211 Posts
Freewill, what is your take on keeping mud off a trailer?
Only way I know of is to leave the trailer at home.. :ROFLMAO:

Really though, there is no good way to keep mud off a trailer. Mud flaps may lessen the amount of mud but impossible to stop it all. One thing I know for sure is I plan on fitting a chunk of 3/8 conveyor belt to cover the front of my trailer because my Cryptids like to grab large stones and smack them into the front of my trailer. Getting too many dents.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts