Can-Am ATV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 2021 850 XMR with 1200km on it. I installed a header and slip-on with the PV3 (I used the Empire exhaust tune from their site till I could get a few data logs), and everything seemed fine. I put about 90km on just touring to try it all out, and it ran spectacular I thought.

The next day, we'd just hopped out of the bush and onto the road for a mile or so when it coughed once and died. It restarted a few times, but wouldn't move under it's own power. I played with it, checking the real obvious stuff (spark, cleaned the plugs off as they were wet, air filter). It would occasionally start, but would cough and pop, then die. I thought maybe the tune was messing with it, so I restored the ECU but there was no change. I brought it to the dealer and they diagnosed a bad throttle lever assembly.

After I got it back, I went for a quick test run and it seemed fine for a few minutes, then did exactly the same thing. I started it the next morning it idled for half an hour flawlessly. I'm stumped, their tech is stumped, and my Canam tech buddy is stumped. I'm just curious if anyone else has run into this.

Thanks,
Levi

·
Registered
2015 Outlander XMR 650
4,788 Posts
they diagnosed a bad throttle lever assembly.
I wonder if you got another defective ITC..... wouldn't be the first time we've seen "new" electronics faulty out of the box. Maybe the manufacturer had a bad batch of whatever component BRP uses in those things, and they've got a run of bad ones on their hands 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That had crossed my mind too. The tech there actually just called to let me know what they'd done so far (which I thought was pretty cool). I guess they tried a new throttle lever, new throttle body, new ECU, and verified fuel pressure with no improvements. I find it strange that there are no codes, so the machine must think every thing is just fine.

I have a fairly good understanding of engines, but not these in particular. Is there a way for the timing chain to jump? other than the tensioner being real wore out?

·
Registered
2015 Outlander XMR 650
4,788 Posts
I have a fairly good understanding of engines, but not these in particular. Is there a way for the timing chain to jump? other than the tensioner being real wore out?
To the best of my knowledge, these engines don't have those kinds of issues. I just don't recall (m)any stories at all, of timing chain problems. And certainly would have no reason to even suspect anything like that, on yours at such a low age/use.

They won't run a tooth off, that I know of. Then again, because I just don't hear about that happening, hard to say for sure.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's about what I figured. A friend of mine had a high mileage one, with the tensioner just about wore through but I can't see that on an 8 month old machine.

What I am concerned about is how hard they've been trying to kick these things out the factory door for the past year. I can see a few QC items falling through the cracks here and there. Whatever it ends up being, I'll let you guys know in case it's useful to someone else.

·
Registered
2015 Outlander XMR 650
4,788 Posts
Have they popped a new set of plugs in?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That I'm not sure of but I'll find out. I cleaned them up a couple times before I brought it in, and they both had a pretty good size spark.

I find it odd that the symptoms take a while to show up, and then make it impossible to run. If I had to try explain it, I'd say it feels like a carb that has the bowl running empty.

·
Registered
2015 Outlander XMR 650
4,788 Posts
On such a new/low-use machine, nothing's really making any sense, just grasping at straws here. Trying to stick to things that are mechanical in nature, since no codes/messages.

Tried cracking the gas cap when it's stumbling and struggling? Tank might be in a decent vacuum, pump's struggling to move fuel 🤷‍♂️

1 - 8 of 8 Posts