Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a source for upgraded tie rods for a 2021 Outlander 850 XTP?

I can only find upgraded tie rods for 2019 models and below. Will 2019’s fit? I can’t remember off the top of my head what year Cam-Am went to arched A-arms and a 2” wider stance.

brand new Outlander, snapped a tie rod on my first trail ride. No dice on warranty coverage from BRP. Figure I’ll upgrade the tie rods instead of going OEM if I can find any.

thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
I have only ever seen those bend once. Combination of throttle front end up and when it came down it wedged in the opposite direction

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Turning left in a turn. Was not doing anything overtly dumb in the process. Tire may have caught a rut in the turn, other than that, not sure why it happened.

All I know was that I was 70 miles into my first ride ever, it was going great, until it wasn’t.

·
Registered
2015 Outlander XMR 650
4,097 Posts
Don't hear much about tie rod issues on these things, hopefully yours was just a fluke casting/metallurgy issue.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Turning left in a turn. Was not doing anything overtly dumb in the process. Tire may have caught a rut in the turn, other than that, not sure why it happened.

All I know was that I was 70 miles into my first ride ever, it was going great, until it wasn’t.
That is why i have a complete set of wrenches in my machine now.. When our buddy did that it took about 4 hours for us to remove it bend it back and put it back in to get us off the trail.. Not fun in mosquito infested grounds..

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Don't hear much about tie rod issues on these things, hopefully yours was just a fluke casting/metallurgy issue.
ya I read a lot about bent tie rods. Not much about snapped tie rods. When the tie rod snapped, it put me into a tree since I couldn’t turn, and didn’t even have a clue of the broke tie rod. Messed up the bumper, fascia, and who knows what else.

I assessed possible metallurgy issue as well. However, it took BRP a solid 4 hours, after submitting the warranty paperwork, to respond to the dealership with a warranty denial. From all the posts on here and this personal experience, sure seems like the warranty is worthless.

Just happy the parts are not crazy expensive and that I didn’t hit the tree that hard. Damage could of been much worse than it was.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Years ago I had a waverunner with aftermarket AIG extended warranty. Catastrophic engine failure that the adjuster denied even though the service manager said the engine failure was due to mechanical failure.

Long story short I hired a metallurgical engineer to do a failure analysis. The piston ring snapped, spun around, caught the edge of the port and boom.

The adjuster said the failure was due to me submarining and the engine ingesting water. How do you stuff a waverunner under water, lol.

After the metallurgical engineers report, AIG paid for the engineer, a new engine and wrote me a letter of apology for their adjusters mistake.

May not be worth the effort for the tie rod but sometimes one can turn a no into a yes after an initial claim denial.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts