Can-Am ATV Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

New to the forum and looking forward to gathering and sharing information. My 850 xmr has 17 hrs on it and approximately 350 km. This week we were up North riding with 3 Polaris and I was the only Can Am. 2nd day my bike starting misfiring at low rpm and lower speeds, it would sputter and backfire but once I got past 30-50% throttle it would spring into action. So I drained the fuel completely, changed plugs and dielectrics the spark plug wires. Checked the air box and went over the wiring and couldn’t find anything wrong. Also no engine light came on, this feels almost like a dead throttle. Now the issue is so bad it won’t start. When I get it home I’m going to check fuel pressure and for spark. You are probably wondering about warranty at this point… well the crappy thing is that I bought this brand new in November and have barely used it but the basic 6 month warranty is up. I am quite pissed that I’m experiencing issues with of course the Polaris guys telling me can am is junk. Do you think I should see what the dealer can do for me or do you think they’ll say no way? Any suggestions on what to check would be appreciated. There’s not much on the forum probably because these things are still very new.
Thanks for reading!

·
Super Moderator
2015 Outlander XMR 650
5,201 Posts
Well, welcome to the site, anyway, bummer to hear about your ride. Couple things pop in mind:

FWIW, I can't see anything in your symptoms that would be XMR-specific, just sayin....

I drained the fuel completely, changed plugs and dielectrics the spark plug wires
That's almost exactly what we'd recommend to start with, so that sucks it didn't resolve your problem

this feels almost like a dead throttle
We've read of just a handful of ITC bikes having issues with 'em. Might have to get it to the dealer, if only for diagnosis.

no engine light came on
That would seem to rule out any electrical/sensor issues, and make me think of something more mechanical (fuel pump/spark plugs) in nature

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply, I pulled the lines off the injectors and ran the fuel pump and there wasn’t a hell of a lot of flow. I need to get a gauge from work and bring it home and plumb it in line to see what I’m getting for psi. Do you know the fuel pressure spec? I think I read around 50psi? It doesn’t even run now so it should be easier to find the problem. Going to check the basics (I’m a mechanic by trade) but it’s hard to get anywhere with the electronics when you don’t have a can am scan tool.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just had my 2021 outlander max 850 at the dealer.... was out on the trail and she just died... I was lucky and it was still under warranty... long story short fuel pump was bad but it had thrown 3 codes that were related to low voltage on the secondary circuit of the fuel pump.... when it died it would turn over with no joy... I know this probably does not help, just trying to offer the thought of when my fuel pump went there were corresponding codes for it... good luck...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just had my 2021 outlander max 850 at the dealer.... was out on the trail and she just died... I was lucky and it was still under warranty... long story short fuel pump was bad but it had thrown 3 codes that were related to low voltage on the secondary circuit of the fuel pump.... when it died it would turn over with no joy... I know this probably does not help, just trying to offer the thought of when my fuel pump went there were corresponding codes for it... good luck...
Hi Moogoolikeido, thanks for the reply. I will be finally getting around the checking fuel pressure tonight to verify. If its low I will be checking for power and ground to the pump and I will put a headlight on the circuit to make sure the amperage is sufficient. I am weary of getting another Can Am pump, I may try aftermarket if there is a reputable brand that makes them. I will update everyone with what I find tonight. Pretty sad this happened after only 17hrs of use.

Cheers

·
Registered
631 Posts
Seems there are a lot of issues with the Fuel Pumps. Anybody have any idea why this is such a problem? At $90 via Amazon, they are not cheap. Can-Am ought to be on top of this and address it properly.

·
Registered
6,119 Posts
Newer bikes seem to have more issues. Probably went with a different/ cheaper supplier.

My 12 went 10000 miles before needing a pump.

The heat from engine and exhaust is killing these things. That fuel tank gets HOT! How can you keep pump cool and expect any longevity when it's living in that environment?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Guys,

Checked fuel pressure, supposed to have 51 psi + or - 1psi. I had 26 psi on my gauge, no wonder my engine would barely even idle and stall as soon as you gave it any throttle. Called the dealer and they said they have seen a few fail on the 2021's. At this point I may go aftermarket with fuelpumpfactory.com or another higher quality aftermarket brand. I agree with awful knawful, I think they've sourced a cheap ass pump for these models. I have 12v and enough amperage on the circuit to run a headlight so there's no wiring issues. I will replace the pump myself as soon as I get the replacement pump.

Here were the symptoms, if you experience them you may need a new fuel pump;
-loss of throttle response and bogging at low rpm but could still ride
-backfiring and misfiring got progressively worse
-engine would only idle and sometimes not even start when it got real bad and as soon as you tried to give it any throttle it would stall out and sound like the engine was starving for fuel

A quick way to check is pull the RS plastic off and take one quick connect injector line off the fuel injector, turn key on and fuel should shoot out pretty good. Fuel came out of my line with key on but there wasn't much pressure behind it. Hopefully this helps other people in the future.

Cheers & Thanks for your comments!

·
Registered
228 Posts
Thx for the info on diagnosing your problem. Sadly, look out for the rad fan motor as well. If it's a tripack, and like 3/4" deep motor body, it will shit the bed as well. The motor is tilted back, towards the UNSEALED shaft, which allows water to mingle with windings. NOT GOOD! I have two words to solve that issue, Spahl!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2016 Can-Am Outlander Max XT 650
1,108 Posts
Hi Guys,

Checked fuel pressure, supposed to have 51 psi + or - 1psi. I had 26 psi on my gauge, no wonder my engine would barely even idle and stall as soon as you gave it any throttle. Called the dealer and they said they have seen a few fail on the 2021's. At this point I may go aftermarket with fuelpumpfactory.com or another higher quality aftermarket brand. I agree with awful knawful, I think they've sourced a cheap ass pump for these models. I have 12v and enough amperage on the circuit to run a headlight so there's no wiring issues. I will replace the pump myself as soon as I get the replacement pump.

Here were the symptoms, if you experience them you may need a new fuel pump;
-loss of throttle response and bogging at low rpm but could still ride
-backfiring and misfiring got progressively worse
-engine would only idle and sometimes not even start when it got real bad and as soon as you tried to give it any throttle it would stall out and sound like the engine was starving for fuel

A quick way to check is pull the RS plastic off and take one quick connect injector line off the fuel injector, turn key on and fuel should shoot out pretty good. Fuel came out of my line with key on but there wasn't much pressure behind it. Hopefully this helps other people in the future.

Cheers & Thanks for your comments!
Go with the Quantum pump. Everyone here swears by them.

Reactions: BombardierBomb

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Go with the Quantum pump. Everyone here swears by them.
It's funny you say that, I just ordered a quantum pump. Glad to hear they have a good reputation. I paid 99 dollars plus tax CDN for it, not bad. Comes with pump, regulator and seals. 1 year warranty, that's already better then what Can Am would offer on their pump.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thx for the info on diagnosing your problem. Sadly, look out for the rad fan motor as well. If it's a tripack, and like 3/4" deep motor body, it will shit the bed as well. The motor is tilted back, towards the UNSEALED shaft, which allows water to mingle with windings. NOT GOOD! I have two words to solve that issue, Spahl!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
I will look into this, thanks for the heads up. I would like to do as much preventative maintenance as possible on my bike to avoid embarrassment with my Polaris friends lol. Any other common problems you have heard of on these? It's a shame to have to modify a brand new machine, but boy they are fun to ride. Even the Polaris riders wanted to hop on mine and fly through a mud hole because it's just a beast!

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
2015 Outlander XMR 650
5,201 Posts
IIRC, Quantum's warranty was a lifetime?

But fwiw, I couldn't be happier with their offering for my bike. It was 100% plug-n-play, I didn't have to cut/crimp/modify a thing.

·
Registered
6,119 Posts
I put a quantum in.
I can't swear by it yet, but I have 4000 trouble free kms so far, and it was only $100.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts