Can-Am ATV Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Can Am Outlander 850 Max XT
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My steel winch cable on my 2022 Can am outlander Max 850 XT has frayed and I would like to replace it with a synthetic rope. Any suggestions for a brand/model number for a synthetic rope replacement?

·
Registered
2021 Can-am Outlander MAX XT 850
13 Posts
My original is not frayed yet but I don't like the way it wraps unevenly on the drum. Would you order the same diameter and length as the original steel cable?

·
Super Moderator
2016 Outlander Max XT 650
1,671 Posts
Reactions: SuperATV

·
Registered
2021 Outlander 850 max XT-P
602 Posts
My original is not frayed yet but I don't like the way it wraps unevenly on the drum. Would you order the same diameter and length as the original steel cable?
You may want to base the rope/ cable size on its load rating. Finding the balance between load rating and how much fits on the drum could be the second consideration.

SuperATV will hook you up.

If the old cable has created any rough spots on the drum you might want to smooth them out. New rope snags easily.

·
Registered
2021 Outlander Max 450 DPS
941 Posts
My original is not frayed yet but I don't like the way it wraps unevenly on the drum.
Although I much prefer a synthetic cable to a steel one, it does not wrap more evenly than a steel one in my opinion.

The protective sheath that comes with a synthetic cable is a pain. It gets hung up easily on the fairlead. It also takes up more room on the spool. I ended up removing the sheath completely. The extra room gained by removing the sheath can allow for a larger and/or longer synthetic cable. Personally I wish I had bought an over-rated synthetic cable in order to have a margin for some wear (fraying). I settled for a shorter Dyneema cable (39') but carry a separate 50' extension.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Outlander Max XT 650
1,671 Posts
Personally I wish I had bought an over-rated synthetic cable
How many lbs is your cable rated for? I bought the 3,500 lbs one.

·
Registered
2021 Outlander Max 450 DPS
941 Posts
How many lbs is your cable rated for? I bought the 3,500 lbs one.
This is the cable I bought. It completely fills the spool on my 2500 lb winch.

It has proven to be plenty strong. It is rare that we have a ride that does not require using the winch at least once. We will even haul fallen trees out of the way with it on occasion.

This is the extension I bought. The photo does not show it but there is a loop at both ends to clip into.

·
Registered
2019 570 outlander. 2018 570 outlander.
256 Posts
My plow only goes up and down like maybe 8" - 10" so I figure what's the difference between a 50' rope and a 10'. I think most guys swap them out so save on the "good" one for summer or they use a thicker/shorter one with a sleeve, and I've seen winch straps too, but for $20 if it snaps I loose like 5' so I'm not too worried about it. I only had to plow maybe 5 times this year and over the last 3 year maybe 12 - 15 times total. We have a country house so its mostly long pushes down the driveway, nothing like city plowing or close quarters where its up/down/up/down. It has snapped (ran it up too high against the frame) and I direct tied it to the hook with a polymer knot for anyone wondering.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts