Can-Am ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Admin
2020 Outlander XMR 1000r Max
1,988 Posts
I have a 2022 outlander 1000R when temp is below 50 F it takes 3 starts to keep it running, dealer said plugs I replaced them still does it has no DTC's in system .
I have been dealing with the same issue. I warm up the MAF censor and it will start and run for the rest of the day.

·
Registered
2021 Outlander 650 Mossy Oak
38 Posts
Hey guys. It seems like there has to be an issue. After you let the fuel system pressurize it shouldn’t stall. The computer should be adjusting throttle and fuel to keep it running.
If the dealer gave you a recommendation then it sound like it is not normal but they don’t want to deal with it.

·
Registered
2021 Can-am Outlander MAX XT 850
13 Posts
My '21 850 took 2 starts in the cooler weather and it was a little annoying for a new machine but I lived with it. In the fall I did an oil change and used BRP XPS 0W-40 and it has stayed running on the first start ever since, even in below freezing temps. Unfortunately I don't know what viscosity oil was in it before so I can't make a comparison. Could be unrelated but maybe worth a try to switch.

·
Registered
2021 Outlander Xtp 1000r
80 Posts
I have a 2022 outlander 1000R when temp is below 50 F it takes 3 starts to keep it running, dealer said plugs I replaced them still does it has no DTC's in system .
Have the same issue with my 21 outlander 1000. Yesterday it started on one of the colder days first time and stayed running without stalling. I started a thread on this a few weeks ago. A few of us have come to the consensus press the start button, wait about 10-15 seconds while the fuel pump runs and the display comes up. Then start it, and I found that holding the start button pressed in even after it's already fired up till the idle evens out was the only way i could get it to keep from stalling. Ironically when it started on this really cold day I was loading it up to take it in for the first service, when I went to unload it at the dealer it was completely dead. They charged and load tested the battery and apparently it was fine. My dealership says this is not a new scenario, and they say on the bigger machines 850-1000 this has gone away when the engine is really broken in 1000+ miles. I'm only at 300 so I guess we'll see.

·
Registered
2020 Outlander Max Limited 1000R ,1985 Honda Big Red,1998 Honda Forman 400
43 Posts
Ihave to start mine usually 5 times before it stays going.It does not have to be cold outside just a cold engine.If i am on a run and stop for 1or2 hours it will still stall on start up maybe not 5 times but maybe 2or3.I have my 100 service coming up soon and the dealer might like me when i leave

·
Registered
2021 Outlander Xtp 1000r
80 Posts
Ihave to start mine usually 5 times before it stays going.It does not have to be cold outside just a cold engine.If i am on a run and stop for 1or2 hours it will still stall on start up maybe not 5 times but maybe 2or3.I have my 100 service coming up soon and the dealer might like me when i leave
You didn't wait till 100 hours for the first service did you?

·
Registered
2021 Outlander Xtp 1000r
80 Posts
Yeah that's way too long. I did it at about 30 hours and I've got 300 miles on it. I'm no mechanic but i usually do all my own maintenance. They checked everything. Change oil and filter, changed front and rear diff fluids, checked brakes and clutches, belt etc. It's basically when engine and everything is getting broken in you can get fine metal shavings in the diff fluid etc and you don't want that sitting in there for too long. Although it's also why the drain plugs have magnets on them to try and keep that stuff out of the working parts.

·
Admin
1,988 Posts
My dealership says this is not a new scenario, and they say on the bigger machines 850-1000 this has gone away when the engine is really broken in 1000+ miles. I'm only at 300 so I guess we'll see.
My 2020 1000 has 3k miles on it and it is worse than when it had 500 miles on it.

·
Admin
1,988 Posts
I can smell raw gas from the exhaust when cranking over the engine. The issue is electrical and prevents coils from sparking. Has nothing to do with fuel pump.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts