Can-Am ATV Forum banner

2023 XT570 outlander blowing white smoke up hills????

1302 Views 11 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  BombardierBomb
Hello all! I just bought this machine brand new from dealer a week ago. I spent 8 hrs breaking it in per rules strickly. Around the 8 hr mark we were at windrock ATV park in TN and while i was climbing it started to blow out white smoke my friends said smelled like oil buring off. This happened about two to three more times while climbing or doing donuts. The rig has about 11 hrs on it now and I didnt give it any hell to after the 8 hr mark. I litterly followed all rules on breaking it in. What could be goiing on here? Thanks in advance
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
1,183 Posts
I would shut it down, don't drive any more. Take it to a dealer for diagnosis. Don't want them blaming you for damage caused after a problem was clearly evident.

And enjoy that warranty!!! Love that oh-so-rare feeling.

(Only ever bought one new vehicle in my life.)

· Super Moderator
2,209 Posts
I would shut it down, don't drive any more. Take it to a dealer for diagnosis. Don't want them blaming you for damage caused after a problem was clearly evident.

And enjoy that warranty!!! Love that oh-so-rare feeling.

(Only ever bought one new vehicle in my life.)
I would take it in mostly for documentation. Then I would drive it like I stole it.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

· Super Moderator
2,209 Posts
Sure could especially if you have too much and were going up a steep hill.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Vwluca

· Regular Joe
2014 Maverick 1000r
8,222 Posts
Do you think to much oil could be the problem??
Betting that's exactly what's going on. Too much oil in the crankcase making its way into the airbox and being sent to the combustion chambers.

That new a machine, get it back to your selling dealer have them resolve it under warranty.

And welcome to the site!

· Registered
Can-am 2023 Outlander XT 570
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You would think being brand new from the dealer they wouldn't over fill it but who knows. It didn't do it first 8 hrs though so not sure what that means. I will definitely be taking it back this weekend ! Thanks for the input

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It has 11 hrs now and does not do it on flat ground. Only twice will steep climb and once doing donuts...?? It started around 8.5 hr mark and I broke it in easy for first 6 to 8 hrs. It seems like when I finally started getting on it is when it started if that helps?

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Was a little low on oil and I found some oil back behind the air filter inside that plastic box so?? Rode it for a little yesterday and it didn't smoke. I hit 70 on it and went up a few hills. Still taking it in this sat. Will let yall know what they find

· Regular Joe
2014 Maverick 1000r
8,222 Posts
for now i will go with the rings where not fully seated yet causing a little blow
Ehhh, I have my doubts that was the case at all....... never read of another BRP product hitting a customers hands with the engine not broken-in, just saying:

I found some oil back behind the air filter inside that plastic box
That oil in your airbox made its way into the intake tract, and then combustion chamber, to be burned out of the exhaust, makes much more sense to me

But regardless, if it's resolved its resolved, ride on!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts