Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2020 Outlander XMR 1000r Max
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Starts colder than this but I wanted to get a video of it. Happened to be -24 when I recorded this video. I have the display set to show engine temp.

·
Registered
2016 Can-Am Outlander Max XT 650
346 Posts
Starts colder than this but I wanted to get a video of it. Happened to be -24 when I recorded this video. I have the display set to show engine temp.
Dayum son! Why was it left outside with no cover or a heater? Was was the red warning light that popped up after it started up? Low oil pressure light?
It's amazing that it can start, but wouldn't this cause damage to the engine since the oil is too cold and not fluid enough to lubricate the engine parts properly?

Reactions: Freewill

·
Registered
808 Posts
Dayum son! Why was it left outside with no cover or a heater? Was was the red warning light that popped up after it started up? Low oil pressure light?
It's amazing that it can start, but wouldn't this cause damage to the engine since the oil is too cold and not fluid enough to lubricate the engine parts properly?
Synthetic oils are extremely good nowadays and they flow pretty well even at -30. My defenders just stay in an open sided shed and it got down to -30 a couple days in a row and it started right up.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Freewill and xsever

·
Registered
2015 Outlander XMR 650
3,811 Posts
Reactions: Freewill

·
Registered
953 Posts
Once at our Hunting Camp we woke up to -10 C inside our camp, we let the fire go out. It was -38C outside. None of the ATVs would roll over fast enough to fire. Lucky we were smart enough and brought the generator in the camp. We covered the ATVs with a big tarp and stuck the generator and a heater under too. In about a hour all started up, and from that day forward we payed more attention to the weather. -38 C is too dam cold !

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The reason mine started is because in the hole above the winch made for the radiator is a series 27 deep cycle marine battery. The battery under the seat would have never started the wheeler at those temperatures.

·
Registered
105 Posts
The reason mine started is because in the hole above the winch made for the radiator is a series 27 deep cycle marine battery. The battery under the seat would have never started the wheeler at those temperatures.
I was just going to ask what kind of battery you had in there! :) Damn that's cold!

Have you ever scoped the bores of your engine? I would be interested to see what kind of wear that would cause after repeated cold starts like that.

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was just going to ask what kind of battery you had in there! :) Damn that's cold!

Have you ever scoped the bores of your engine? I would be interested to see what kind of wear that would cause after repeated cold starts like that.
Lol, can't be any worse than anything else around Alaska that has an engine. Forgot to plug my truck in last night. -27 this morning. Started it with my remote starter and that Duramax fired up. Did some protesting for first 2 minutes but was able to run to work this morning.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Lol, can't be any worse than anything else around Alaska that has an engine. Forgot to plug my truck in last night. -27 this morning. Started it with my remote starter and that Duramax fired up. Did some protesting for first 2 minutes but was able to run to work this morning.
Most Porsche Cayennes that came from cold climates have scored cylinders. In really cold temperatures the piston expands at a faster rate than the cylinder. I guess the engineers of that engine had a "case of the Monday's" when it came to determining piston to cylinder wall clearances. I was just curious if you had any premature failure on any of your other toys because of the extreme cold temperatures of where you live. Guess not! :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts