Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

i just get an 400 MAX XT (4/2005) and i recognized an problem with 2WD/4WD switch. When i stop and switch from 2WD to 4WD or vice verse the A light does not goes on or off and it not switch to 4WD or 2WD. I need to turn my 400 off and then to start again then it switches the A light ( on or off ) and to 4WD or 2WD.
Any idea what's the problem?

Regards, Tomaz

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Does anybody know how the 2WD/4WD switching works? I heard, that this switching is somehow "connected" with braking cylinder and if this is not OK, then the 2WD/4WD switching can make some troubles.
There is also an black box with some electronic, which is responsible to switch 4WD on or off. Does this electronic have any relations to breaking cylinder?
The problem is on my Outlander 400 2005.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I had a similiar problem with my 400 outlander and found it to be a broken wire very close to the black electrical actuator, once i repaired it all started working again. But now on the other hand my light indicator on the speedo cluster is not lighing up for the 4X4 like it is suppose to, but I can still hear the actuator engaging the 4X4. So if anybody has any Ideas on that it would be appreciated.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Hi,

i just get an 400 MAX XT (4/2005) and i recognized an problem with 2WD/4WD switch. When i stop and switch from 2WD to 4WD or vice verse the A light does not goes on or off and it not switch to 4WD or 2WD. I need to turn my 400 off and then to start again then it switches the A light ( on or off ) and to 4WD or 2WD.
Any idea what's the problem?

Regards, Tomaz
I had a similiar problem with my 400 outlander and found it to be a broken wire very close to the black electrical actuator, once i repaired it all started working again. But now on the other hand my light indicator on the speedo cluster is not lighing up for the 4X4 like it is suppose to, but I can still hear the actuator engaging the 4X4. So if anybody has any Ideas on that it would be appreciated.

Be interested in finding out what the problem and fix is here.
Good luck, and keep us posted.

:)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So, the current status is, that there is some elecrical issue. We cleaned everything out, tested this electrical motor and it works fine. It also moves in both directions.
Now we diagnosed, that is does not move if it is connected ( have voltage). It goes to its end position, and when we change on switch it does not move. The voltage must go down for few second, and then it moves to other position.
So, now i have question:
is anybody out here that have an circuit diagram of this electrical plate inside actuator? It is from Megatech Electro.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Tip of advice: Maybe you misunderstood manos, do NOT move the atv while engaging the 4wd, only after! You can break the actuator pindle (i think it's called that). Good luck! electronics can be a real bitch sometimes!

·
Registered
354 Posts
Tip of advice: Maybe you misunderstood manos, do NOT move the atv while engaging the 4wd, only after! You can break the actuator pindle (i think it's called that). Good luck! electronics can be a real bitch sometimes!
You can shift in and out of 4wd while you're moving . Just make sure you're not spinning or under load.

·
Registered
262 Posts
:O thanks for the correction cam2010, never tried shifting into 4wd after hearing a nasty grinding sound while moving. hehe, tried to shift into low from high gear also, wasnt good

·
Registered
18 Posts
You can shift in and out of 4wd while you're moving . Just make sure you're not spinning or under load.
According to the owners manual you are suppose to come to a complete stop.

pg. 72

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The 2WD/4WD changing was always made in full stop or in slow motion without any power to the wheels.
Yes, in manual is written down to full stop before changing to 4WD or 2WD.
I have some electrical problem with this circuit plate inside of actuator and i think it is something very basic, because it works but it does not discharge itself when changing to 4WD or 2WD. :0headscratch:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So, case is closed. I replaced the actuator and it works fine. I do not know which part in this electrical circuit is dead, but we identifies that there is an short connection between + and - pin. This two pins in combination with third pin change their polarity when changing 2WD or 4WD.

·
Premium Member
9,719 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
is anybody out here that have an circuit diagram of this electrical plate inside actuator? It is from Megatech Electro.
Glad you got it fixed.:th_smiliethumbsup:

Did you ever find the schematic?
No i did not find this schematic, but i am still on looking on it. The old actuator is still in the garage and waits to be fixed in case of any use for me os friends.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Pull your switch apart and plug it with dielectric grease and do the same to the connector that plugs into the actuator.Water can get into both.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I was under the impression that you could switch in or out of 4 wheel drive while moving but you had to be off the throttle and not spinning the tires.
Yes you can as long as you understand whats happening when you shift to 4wd. The manual says not to because it would be too hard to explain to people that you need all 4 wheels turning the same speed to do it. It's just easier to say don't do it.

If you stop to shift and then pin the throttle you will do more harm than shifting while you're moving. The bike usually has to move a bit for it to fully engage.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts