Can-Am ATV Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have abuddies wheeler at my house. It is a 300 bayou 4x4. Late 80's model. He let me take it for my kids to put around the yard on but it will not run. I cleaned the carb, put new gas in and checked the plug. The only thing it does it 'pop' back thru the carb once in a while. It has good compresion and there is spark. I even tried some starting fluid to see if it would even fire but, nothing. Any one have any experience with this quad? Electical maybe?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
ANY ONE????

·
Premium Member
758 Posts
I'll take a run at this..... Sounds like the carb needs to be rebuilt.Are you getting a strong oder like unburned fuel
or nothing like its running to lean.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It will not run at all. It back fires thru the carb every once in a while. I put a new plug in too. I even dumped a little gas in the cylinder and still nothing but a "pop" back thru the carb. It ran before parking it but it did fouls a plug just before it was parked. I know the carb is not the best shape but, it should run a few seconds on the gas in the cylinder or with some starting fluid. Any Ideas?

·
Premium Member
758 Posts
It's time for a valve adjustment.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have abuddies wheeler at my house. It is a 300 bayou 4x4. Late 80's model. He let me take it for my kids to put around the yard on but it will not run. I cleaned the carb, put new gas in and checked the plug. The only thing it does it 'pop' back thru the carb once in a while. It has good compresion and there is spark. I even tried some starting fluid to see if it would even fire but, nothing. Any one have any experience with this quad? Electical maybe?
Like someone said it may need valve lash adjusted. But another issue could be is the chain jumped timing. I've had this happen to me before with the same symptoms. If the timing chain is worn enough it can jump the teeth on the timing sprocket.

·
Nobody Special
2020 Outlander XMR 1000r Max
1,388 Posts
Like someone said it may need valve lash adjusted. But another issue could be is the chain jumped timing. I've had this happen to me before with the same symptoms. If the timing chain is worn enough it can jump the teeth on the timing sprocket.
This thread is 13 years old. I am sure it either has been fixed, sold, or scrapped by now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.