Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As 400 owners know,their machines sit much lower on the front (struts)then on the back(shocks). Many prefer to have them sit near level, reducing nose dive under hard braking, downhill descent, better cornering or just the installation of taller tires. A common fix is to replace the existing spring with a slightly longer /higher rate spring ei. MAX spring . Another method is to shim (pipe lift)the existing spring to increase it's effective rate thus raising the front end slightly. The problem is ,these methods extend the strut out to it's maximum length on rough surfaces causing a banging noise which in time will damage the strut. I also found there is little/if any aftermarket struts for 400/500 machines. I have found an inexpensive/ effective/easy to install solution to this problem. I made two strut extensions that attach to the top mounts. A simple mod has to be done to the bottom of the each strut to gain clearance to the axle. All can be done without removing the spring from the strut but you do have to remove the assembly from the machine.. It raised the front bumper on my 2007 400XT ..2 1/4" (stock spring&strut) nearly leveling it out. It handles better under all my riding conditions, very pleased with it. I am considering making these extensions available to other forum members . Replies to this thread will indicate to me if I should proceed or not.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you click on my user name the pics are under my album ...that's the best I can do...sorry. Maybe a Mod can transfer them for me...sure appreciate if you can..

·
Registered
359 Posts
Currently have an 11 500 XT that I would be interested in your setup on. Not too keen on the addition of spacers. If you don't get the feedback that you are looking for to produce more of these, shoot me a pm as I would still be interested if you were to make a limited number of sets.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I can assure u if u actually finally tackled this you need to mass produce them. Long time waiting. And I know I don't just speak for myself. And sell as a kit, stiffener pucks for rear, these on front. They will sell!

·
Registered
46 Posts
interested

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally I ran 1 1/4" spacers under the springs("pipe lift") which raised it the same as it is now, however it didn't do the struts much good as they where fully extended (topped out), after some time they began to "pop" alot on any terrain that was a bit rough . With the extensions installed and the lifts removed (I have several hundred miles on now) it only "pops" a bit on very steep slow rough terrain. I think I may have damaged the struts some using the "pipe lifts" so I advise against that method. I'm surmising that if I had installed the extensions in the first place the struts would still be fine.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Figure us a cost for your time and materials. I would like to give a set of your extensions a try and will give an honest and non biased review.......

·
Registered
359 Posts
I will take a set. Shoot me a pm with payment instructions and it will be on its way.

·
Registered
46 Posts
$40.00 plus shipping. For US buyers I ship out of Eureka Montana.
I'll take a set, but I'm in Ottawa, Canada.

I'll give my feed back for every one to read and mine is stock yours will be the 1st mod to it. 2011 400 Outlander MAX XT

·
Registered
359 Posts
Sargent..... I am going to have to back out on ordering a set of your suspension lifts as I just sold my 500. I will however keep tabs for any new inovative designs on equipment that you come up with.

Best of luck with your production of suspension lifts.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts