Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a deal today for a 400 ex, not bought yet but the guy told me he'd sell it to me for 700$. A picture of it below. He said that he believes the reason it wont run is because it skipped a tooth on the cam chain. 700$ seems kind of fishy considering the amount of stuff on the quad. I guess the question is, what am i getting into if it skipped a tooth on the cam chain? A new cam??

·
Registered
296 Posts
A valve may have taged the piston! $700 is alot for that if it does not run!

·
Registered
503 Posts
Id be all over that for $700.....spend a few hundred fixing it and you got a nice sport quad. My opinion.

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
Those are cheap when they run, so $700 might be too much for it if it possibly needs a pile of work. I would tell him to fix it and give him more $$$$ You might save yourself a bazillion problems.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Although if I did buy it for 700$ couldnt I part it out for even more if it ended up being a big problem. It could just be the valves?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Also he said it runs buts shuts off and back fires. Carb maybe? It could be the simplest thing, im really considering buying it. The bearings seem fine too in the back where the shaft is.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Do a compression check on it. Will give u an idea of where it's at. If there's valve damage will have really low comp. If it jumped a tooth. Comp may be down but not rite low. 700 seems a lil steep offer the guy 550. If need be toss a chain cam gears and valves in it. Shouldnt be to costly to fix up

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Where I live the bikes are selling for 2500-3500$ in this condition(externally) and running. As of now this guy could get 1200$ for this but hes giving me a deal. I plan to pick the bike apart and try and get 600, I dont think he'll go to 550 for it. Im figuring the valves need adjustment or something like that. Like you said, not a costly fix but I will try and talk him down

·
Registered
947 Posts
Well key thing here is u. If u feel it's a solid deal and if there's still going for decent dollars that's that's not a bad price. If the valves made any contact with piston than there toast. But a valve isn't a real big deal to replace. If the bikes real clean other wise. Then jump on it. I'm all about the projects. I luv building things up. Done many sleds. Did my brutalforce build any now picked up a polaris 250 stroke ATV I'm redoing for the wife and kids.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Going to maybe buy it wednesday if the compression test tells me anything. Should be around 100-128psi so, I hope its nothing compression related. Id love for this to be a easy fix.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Going to maybe buy it wednesday if the compression test tells me anything. Should be around 100-128psi so, I hope its nothing compression related. Id love for this to be a easy fix.
Well keep in mind if the timing chain jump a tooth it will affect compression as well. Even more so if a valve contacted piston.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
But it wouldnt affect the compression severely. If im in the 90-128 region I plan to buy it. Anything below 90psi im a bit iffy. Im starting to think the timing chain is wore if it skipped a tooth

·
Registered
296 Posts
It looks pretty stock and the rear tires are shot! $500 tops if he has a title! $400 if he does not!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It has pro taper bars, fmf exhaust. not completely stock. If I where to fix it id re-sell right away im not too worried about the tires.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts