Can-Am ATV Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

400 Outlander '06 hole in valve cover

8K views 25 replies 5 participants last post by  Jungleman 
#1 ·
Hi, I got a cheap Outlander from my neighbour. Engine is theoretically running, but it has a hole in the valve cover direct above the timing chain. Neighbour said it happened the second time. Any ideas for the reason?

#3 ·
Bummer
Pull the valve cover before you run it again!

Hopefully its not this....

#4 ·

#5 ·

#7 ·
Taking bets?

My money is on the decompression lever coming apart at rev and knocking a hole in the valve cover.

Hopefully the engine can be saved....

#12 ·
yes, checked the ATV two days ago. Sadly to say it was the decompression lever. The Weight was broken and blown trough the cover. So now we have to open the engine and check for parts fallen into it. But for that we need a mechanic, because our knowledge is too bad for that. Interesting is, at the first time this happened, the neighbour just fixed the valve cover, because he thought something damaged the cover from outside. But what crashed the cover the first and what the second time? Luckily to say the ATV only has about 250miles and 40 Work hours. So you can say its quite new.

#13 ·
What do I win?? :ROFLMAO: :p :ROFLMAO:

But all kidding aside, I sure hate to read of this..... I can only try to give BRP the benefit of the doubt, I'm sure they thought they'd need that decompression system to assist in any pull start situations, but damn.......what a clusterf@ck of a development....ruining perfectly good motors....

I'd bet it was pieces of the decompression lever/system, both times, that damaged the valve cover. The PO prolly didn't even know what to look for when replacing it the first time, and just thought all was well under there.

If there is a "silver lining" to that cloud, there's plenty of information out there, on addressing this exact issue. Maybe, just maybe, you get lucky and can fish the pieces out of the top end, and the motor dodged a fatal bullet. Keep us posted

#14 · (Edited)
Well dam dam dammit!

Sorry to hear this.

Tell your neighbor not to feel bad, he had no way of knowing.

Part of that centrifugal weight probably broke off the first time, then the pin or another chunk of the weight blew off the second time.

Id pull the valve cover, pull the bolt, pull whats left of the decompressor system and see what is left of it. Compare to the threads on the removal...

Then put it back together the way the guys are running it with the longer stock bolt.

Then you should be able to see exactly what parts of that system are missing.

We can assume at least two pieces have left the building...
Maybe you got lucky and you will find a broken weight and a missing metal pin.
Maybe the little spring is the only thing missing?
If thats all that fell down in the engine it wouldnt hurt much I wouldnt think?

Pull the screen and hope to find any missing part(s) if more than two parts of the whole setup are unaccounted for...

Its not just brp, yama runs it in their 4strokes too, quads and motorcycles and who knows who else.

Its a sound theory, , ,
If only something stronger than pot metal was used for the MOST STRESSED part in the WHOLE SYSTEM!!!!
Kind of like the plastic gear that fails in garage door openers, some parts just need to be stronger.

Scientific mumbo jumbo...

Readers digest version...

Anyways
Rant off

Srry about your quad man
All is not lost
Nice fresh engine like that will be good to go after a mechanic thoroughly checks it out and you'll be good to go for many years of tearin it up good times.

Best of luck

Oh, I can shoot you the engine manual if you decide to tackle it yourself.
You can always pull the engine and take it to a guy.
Save yourself a ton of shop time $$money$$ pulling plastic and pulling the engine yourself.

#16 ·
We found all parts, the pin, the spring and the Rest of the weight. It just broke directly at the ring and the whole weight is missing. We removed the parts we dont need and put it togheter with the Stock bolt Version. What we dont know, in how many parts the weight is broken? Are there some parts in the enginge or are they blown outside? And are there some plastic parts from the cover in the engine?

So if you wanna play safe, i think you have to open the engine and check it. Otherwise you play lottery.

What do you guys think?

#17 ·
What we dont know, in how many parts the weight is broken? Are there some parts in the enginge or are they blown outside? And are there some plastic parts from the cover in the engine?

So if you wanna play safe, i think you have to open the engine and check it. Otherwise you play lottery.

What do you guys think?
Key sentence there! ^^^

Agreed
Myself personally,
I would not risk it.

I go wayyyy too far into the mountains away from the nearest road which is miles and miles and miles of a walk back to the truck without much hope of anybody coming along to offer me a ride to have doubts about my machine.

Srry but yeah, without knowing, I wouldnt risk it.

#25 ·
So Engine is running! My Brother declined checking the engine by a mechanic and just flushed the engine with some new oil. A friendly mechanic of us said, if there was something fallen into it, it would grinded by the engine. So my Brother decided (because he paid the quad) to just flush the engine with oil and hope the best. Luckily to say it worked. Engine was running for a few minutes without problems. We made a little inspection and changed oil, oil filter, air filter and other little things. So now we have to check the electricity, because the warning blinker won't running. We think it's just two broken relay. After that we can get a license plate and go out for a ride!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.