Can-Am ATV Forum banner

641 - 660 of 674 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Good afternoon. New to me outlander owner. Bought an 06 outlander 400 max almost a week ago. Little rough but for $2000 I wasn’t expecting a trailer queen. The guy I bought it from told me it was an 04. Well as I’m doing the registration paperwork I looked up deciphering the vin number and turns out to be an 06. Typically that would be considered a win unless you live in Vermont like me. Vermont titles vehicles 15 years and newer but NH doesn’t which is the previous owner’s residence. And he didn’t register it before I bought it. Fortunately I was able to get a bonded title with my insurance company that the state will accept. Issues that I had with it was had belt squeal at idle. Doesn’t charge. Missing one of the storage covers. Seat covers are trashed. And tires are weather cracked with one having a big plug in the side wall, that went flat on a ride.

The not charging is the biggest issue. The voltage regulator crapped on it and those that have dealt with it knows you can’t get it anymore. Fortunately on an internet search I found out about the update to the two plug in one but needing an adapter harness. I found a guy that makes those up because bombardier doesn’t make those anymore either, thanks bombardier. Hoping to get that stuff Friday and Saturday do I can hopefully do some riding.
I took it to a guy I know that works on them and he said he fixed the belt squeal.
Here is a picture of the problem child. LOL

Attachments

·
Registered
2015 Outlander XMR 650
3,023 Posts
Welcome aboard! Those are really rather robust little things, anyone can wrench on 'em.

"belt squeal at idle", you say? Prolly needs a one-way bearing service/replacement. I've got that storage cover collecting dust in the garage, lol, if you really want it. Aint doing me no good...

Stroll around the site a little, familiarize yourself with the little thing. I'd like to think me and Jungleman's threads about our 400's is good for a lot of good info (y)

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Welcome

And not bad for 2grand!
Congrats.

Sounds like you have it under control but if theres anything you might need help with feel free anytime.

Paperwork is fun isnt it lol
I hate paperwork.

·
Registered
96 Posts
paper work isn't bad when you have it all. It is trying to hunt down stuff you aren't sure you can get is the sucky part.
The guy I took it to said he fixed the belt squeal issue. said he made a spacer. I'll check it out when I pick it up

·
Registered
96 Posts
How tolerant are these 400's to running hot? last weekend the temp light came on because the fan wasn't running because the battery was dead due the bad voltage regulator. I shut it down to cool less than a quarter mile after it happened

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Depends....
Ive pushed mine pretty hard on the furnace....popped hot, cant stop....

They are tough engines, but like all engines,,,,,well, you know.

Something about "cooking the radiator" is also a thing.

Check it out.
Plenty of overheating/running hot threads on bikes that do have power.

These dont like to go slow thats for sure, they like airflow but,,,, must have fan.

Check out the fan mod for when you do power up.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Oh, and "spacer"???????

Love to see you post pic of that in the outlander/brp section.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Kind of but not really.
I search and bookmark.
Most of it is just random everywhere in the outlander/brp sections.
Most of that type of info is there.

Great group here, feel free to post up anything related, especially pics.

Pm me if you have trouble finding anything and I'll try to point you in the right direction.
Bbomb has been especially helpful with mine and id say has infinite patience lol but all the people here are outstanding.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Now I’m the owner of a second 2006 outlander 400 xt. Around 3600 miles.
bought it for $1500. Came with a plow also. Needs some work. Seat cover. Guy says that the 4x4 switch isn’t working so stuck in 4x4. Also he thought the clutch was worn out. Seemed to Engage and shift fine. But doesn’t seem as fast as our 3006 400 max. But haven’t run them side by side yet.

Attachments

·
Registered
2015 Outlander XMR 650
3,023 Posts
I'm telling ya, I'd just about argue with anyone, for your bang for your buck, it's hard to beat a 400. Find me another bike that gives IRS, hyd disc brakes, the power, etc.

That's a solid deal for a solid machine. There's not really much about the clutches that "wear out", might just be due for a belt/clutch/one-way service/refresh

The nature of that visco-lok diff, I wouldn't lose too much sleep over it stuck in 4wd, unless you just want to replace the switch.

Reactions: Jungleman

·
Registered
96 Posts
I really don’t think anything is wrong with the clutches. Been riding around the house and just went for a little 3 mile ride or so on my dad’s land and it actually feels better than the max. He was hearing the clutch arm tick, which his ears must be better than mine, because I don’t hear it. At some point I’ll take it apart and check the one way bearings.
I think it was a great deal for it. At some point I’ll have to find another gauge for it. This one is cracked and is only illuminated, doesn’t show any information.
I als used a dog food bag to make a temporary seat cover. LOL

Attachments

·
Registered
2015 Outlander XMR 650
3,023 Posts
lol! now that's some macgyver'ing right there! Hey whatever keeps you from getting the wetass when you sit on it (y)

Reactions: Jungleman

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Hope that works.
Throw some dessicant packets in it if it does work when you put it back together (y)

New/old/perfectly good oem seat cover on its way 😁

·
Registered
96 Posts
I think the gauge is FUBR. I tried to separate the board from the white housing but at the top there still is resistance to coming apart. there is rust at the bottom where the harness plugs in and there is a cylinder shaped resistor or something that, I believe, rusted free and just rolling around in there. Guess I need to keep a lookout for used gauge cluster. Bummer

641 - 660 of 674 Posts