Can-Am ATV Forum banner

681 - 691 of 691 Posts

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Always like to look good for the road trip out to wherever Im riding myself, I get it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Original owner of a Red 2004 Outlander Max HO.

Deferred maintenance for many years but have been giving her some sweet love as of late. Recently had both gas lines fall out of the tank on a ride and lost nearly a full tank of gas. Was lucky enough to fly home with what was in the bowl leaving my son in the dust.

One of the lines in the tank was completely gone and the other literally fell to pieces in my hands. I few years ago in the middle of winter she started leaking gas while I was plowing. I took apart the carb and accidentally found the screen that gets clogged and cleaned the whole thing up, she worked again.

She's running great now but I am smelling some fuel. If it continues I will adjust the mixture screw.

Recently got a new set of tires as the original tires were dry rotting. Had an episode of mice in the machine chewed my wires about 10 years ago. My dog then chewed more wires trying to get at the mice. That was fun repairing and my brake light was out while the tail light was still working till I fixed it a couple weekends ago.

The foot pedal brake also got stuck on once from rust.

Installed skid plates front to back that I forgot I had bought back in 2010.

Basically turned it in to an xt with fender protectors in 05 and a warn winch. Regulator replaced in 05 and temp sensor in 2015. Vent hoses to the airbox split around 2015 as well.

Shock soxs on since 06. I never got the plastic cover for when the 2up seat is off but I'd like one.

The valves have never been adjusted and I do hear a bit of tapping. Will do that in the spring. The plug was just changed for the first time a few weekends ago. No work on the clutch ever and the original belt is still going.

Swisher plow since 06 customized the push tube a bit. Pain in the ass to take on and off in the winter for riding.

I've been lazy and neglected her often but she is still strong. I would buy another one.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Original owner of a Red 2004 Outlander Max HO.

Deferred maintenance for many years but have been giving her some sweet love as of late. Recently had both gas lines fall out of the tank on a ride and lost nearly a full tank of gas. Was lucky enough to fly home with what was in the bowl leaving my son in the dust.

One of the lines in the tank was completely gone and the other literally fell to pieces in my hands. I few years ago in the middle of winter she started leaking gas while I was plowing. I took apart the carb and accidentally found the screen that gets clogged and cleaned the whole thing up, she worked again.

She's running great now but I am smelling some fuel. If it continues I will adjust the mixture screw.

Recently got a new set of tires as the original tires were dry rotting. Had an episode of mice in the machine chewed my wires about 10 years ago. My dog then chewed more wires trying to get at the mice. That was fun repairing and my brake light was out while the tail light was still working till I fixed it a couple weekends ago.

The foot pedal brake also got stuck on once from rust.

Installed skid plates front to back that I forgot I had bought back in 2010.

Basically turned it in to an xt with fender protectors in 05 and a warn winch. Regulator replaced in 05 and temp sensor in 2015. Vent hoses to the airbox split around 2015 as well.

Shock soxs on since 06. I never got the plastic cover for when the 2up seat is off but I'd like one.

The valves have never been adjusted and I do hear a bit of tapping. Will do that in the spring. The plug was just changed for the first time a few weekends ago. No work on the clutch ever and the original belt is still going.

Swisher plow since 06 customized the push tube a bit. Pain in the ass to take on and off in the winter for riding.

I've been lazy and neglected her often but she is still strong. I would buy another one.

Nice job!
Glad to hear shes still treating you good!
Ive only had mine a couple of seasons now and its been bulletproof except for some of the same as you because it sat unridden for soooooo long, poor thing.

Love to see it....

Do yourself and your engine a favor and when you go to do the valves, take a couple of extra minutes and remove that time bomb....

Grab a short bolt off an 800, BRP part #420241721

BRP Ski-Doo Can-Am OEM Hex. Collar Screw M8 X 20 420241721 | eBay

And this...

You can do a search on engine decompressor etc and find more.
Several have detonated in the couple seasons Ive been hanging out.

Oh!
Also, awesome dude on this forum turned me on to these...
I pulled my tank again just to install them.
Totally worth it.
Made for a ski doo but Ive found a lot of parts interchange.

A fuel line fell out of mine on my 2nd test ride when I reached in with a gloved hand to adjust the idle...whole tank of gas on a hot engine, pucker moment for me for sure.

Ride on 400s!!
It just quit raining...think I'll head out back today and find some mud myself.
Just no deep holes for me haha

·
Registered
5 Posts
I need to check out the engine decompressor. I haven't heard about that.

I was in the woods yesterday and a stick went up into the temp sensor. I forgot how to jump the fan and didn't have a wire with me. She over heated on the way back home with lots of rock crawling and popped, throwing coolant down on the front brakes. I let her cool off a while and trucked home. I found the overflow tube burst a hole and the plastic under the cap on the bottle looks deformed.

I also forgot there was a fuse for the fan which I didn't have an extra. When I opened my little tool box I found the wire I left in there to jump the fan, YAY.

I replaced the tube and fuse filled the coolant and she's back in order.

I was reading that some years have a replacement cap that vents pressure better on the bottle. Is the 2004 one of these?

I also forgot to mention I had to replace the belows on the dif and both rubber caps on the rear swing arm when I did recent maintenance.

I haven't replaced water lines or fuel lines yet. Both still seem soft but I see degradation on the inner tube of the fuel line so it's on the list. Anyone have problems with the water lines degrading?

The one picture where I am holding 2 fender screws and nuts is funny. I had to take them out to get at the gas tank and they were so rusty I had to try and cut them off. The grinder got half way through and the whole thing fell through the fender. I guess the melting point of that soft plastic is pretty low. I replaced them with a couple of the same black screws and black washers.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Dayum sticks!!!!
I just put full cv boot protection and a radiator protector on this season!

I dont know about the cap or the water lines but all new fuel lines and a good quality fuel filter just before the carb are always a good thing. Saves on pulling the float bowl to clean the screen.

Glad to hear shes ok.
Tough engines these are.
Takes a licking and then some.

681 - 691 of 691 Posts