Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wifes 2017 Outlander 570 Max that we've owned since new just rolled over 4000 miles. With no indication of any problem during the last ride, it would not start once we got home. After checking for spark and fuel and changing plugs I took it to the dealer. They found low compressiion and dust coating the air intake plumbing. It needs the top end rebuilt. I asked them how the duse got in and they have no clue other than to say it's a fine dust.
We do ride in a lot of dusty conditions, sometimes in groups of 100+ machines. And the dust at times is as fine as my wifes face powder. But I always clean or replace the air filter after every ride, whether we went 60 miles or 200 miles. That machine used the OEM paper filter with the oiled foam oversleeve for the first few rides and has used either a K&N oiled filter fitted with the OEM oiled foam oversleeve or a Uni filter. The K&N filter is aways cleaned using their cleaner then rinsed in a Dawn dish soap bath before being rinsed in clean water and left to dry before being re-oiled with their filter oil. The foam oversleeve is cleaned in mineral spirits, then given a Dawn bath, rinsed with clean water and dried before being oiled with Bel Ray filter oil. When the Uni filter is used it's cleaned using the same methods as just described with the foam oversleeve and oiled using their oil.
If I'm going to pay the big bucks to have this thing rebuilt I don't want to start destroying it again on the very next ride. Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions on this?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Put the k&n filter in the trash. They let too many small particles thru. Case in point. The fine dust acts like sand paper and wire out the rings.

Use the factory filter, keep it oiled and the over filter oiled. You might even find and use something with a cotton mesh over that.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
821 Posts
And change the oil very often .
It bothers me that dust still gets in these things but I guess its inevitable.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So Racer-X, you're saying the culprit is the K&N filter even though it was always encased in an oiled foam oversleeve? Whenever I cleaned this set up the oversleeve would be coated in dirt but the filter itself always looked as clean as when I put it in and when I cleaned it, other than the oil residue, there didn't appear to be any dirt coming out of it. What is your opinion of the Uni filter?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
And change the oil very often .
It bothers me that dust still gets in these things but I guess its inevitable.
So I take it you've had problems with dirt ingestion too? I'm coming to the same conclusion that these things really aren't designed to be used like they are, even as some of the manufacturers advertising shows them being used. Unless you're the leader of the pack you're inevitably going to ride in dusty conditions. And if there's no way to keep the dust from getting into the motor than what good are the? Dissapointing.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Seems a good number of people replace the factory foam gasket on the Air Filter lid with a rubber gasket from OMC.
It is thicker and provides a better seal against dirt ingress.

·
Registered
821 Posts
So I take it you've had problems with dirt ingestion too? I'm coming to the same conclusion that these things really aren't designed to be used like they are, even as some of the manufacturers advertising shows them being used. Unless you're the leader of the pack you're inevitably going to ride in dusty conditions. And if there's no way to keep the dust from getting into the motor than what good are the? Dissapointing.
Yes ^
But what can one do ?
If you stop airflow , you stop combustion. A smaller micron filter would plug right up .
I have a rubber airbox gasket and still get powder in my TB .
If one drove their car or truck in the same conditions, I'm sure the same thing would happen.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Talk to the other riders in your group, see what their approach is, and what their findings are. I'm frankly baffled at your "singular" experience, especially having read the level of prevention/maintenance you're operating at. I'm not blaming the K&N, I've never had a bad experience with 'em, but I guess others can/do/will.

I know this is a redundant question, but have you checked the intake tract thoroughly? Possible there's an o-ring or gasket somehow out of place, maybe a tiny crack in a boot or something?

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Seems a good number of people replace the factory foam gasket on the Air Filter lid with a rubber gasket from OMC.
It is thicker and provides a better seal against dirt ingress.
The foam gasket has nothing to do with dirt ingestion, all the lid does is hold the filter in place. Air is drawn in from another location. The after market lid gasket is for deep water riding to keep water out at a lower level that's all.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Kind of funny though , when I had my 400 , I cleaned the A/
have you checked the intake tract thoroughly? Possible there's an o-ring or gasket somehow out of place, maybe a tiny crack in a boot or something?
Is there a procedure for this ? seeing how it's impossible to have both cylinders @ TDC at the same time .
How would one go about isolating one part of the intake tract ( between the jug & the air cleaner elbow to apply a vacuum or modest air pressure ( smoke test ) other than removing the intake altogether and sealing both bottom ends ?

PS . Not a fan of the starting fluid trick either.

·
Registered
855 Posts
The foam gasket has nothing to do with dirt ingestion, all the lid does is hold the filter in place. Air is drawn in from another location. The after market lid gasket is for deep water riding to keep water out at a lower level that's all.
That stock gasket is a joke, water riding or not. It doesn’t seal and you can bet it will allow dust to pass through

·
Registered
455 Posts
That stock gasket is a joke, water riding or not. It doesn’t seal and you can bet it will allow dust to pass through
Agreed. I had to use a socket to get my air box lid tightend with the OMC gasket. That sucker really seals it off! Sorry to hear of the OP's issue. That's a HUGE bummer. Perhaps you should look at slipping some pre filters on the intakes. I'd bet your clutches need a massive cleaning then too.

Dust is the enemy. I am going to try to see how to get some pre filters on my wife's new kawaski as I am always the leader.

I should probably service my can am's air filter now. I run UNI on both the kawi and the can am.

·
Registered
455 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes ^
But what can one do ?
If you stop airflow , you stop combustion. A smaller micron filter would plug right up .
I have a rubber airbox gasket and still get powder in my TB .
If one drove their car or truck in the same conditions, I'm sure the same thing would happen.
I don't see what a rubber gasket would do that the original gasket doesn't. If I'm not mistaken, the foam gasket is a closed cell foam. Air or liquid will not penetrate it, unlike open cell foam like air filters are made of.
I had a similar experience with a Polaris Sportsman several years ago and it did turn out to be an air leak just ahead of the throttle body due to an assembly error at the factory. The air tube from the filter down to the throttle body was clean but the throttle body and the intake manifold down to the moter was coated in dirt. Polaris ended up covering it even though I was well beyond the warranty...after a lot of arguing. I asked the dealer to do a thorough investigation of the intake plumbing on the Can Am looking for similar evidense of leaks.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I asked the dealer to do a thorough investigation of the intake plumbing on the Can Am looking for similar evidense of leaks.
I sure hope they're transparent and honest with the results of their search.

I sincerely doubt they will be.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have the air box and trunk seals. They are expensive..... but seem to work good. Better than the factory ones for sure. I see they lowered their price and offer a combo deal now... DAMNIT Why did I buy this so early!

https://www.outsidersmotorcompany.com/product-page/can-am-atv-gen-2-airbox-seal
Is this the seal for the air box cover or a seal where the open end of the filter attaches to the airbox? If it's for the air box cover I don't see the purpose since that's on the dirty side of the filter. Even if the cover is taped shut dirt will still get into the dirty side of the filter/airbox through the air intake snorkel.
Or am I not understanding what you're describing?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I sure hope they're transparent and honest with the results of their search.

I sincerely doubt they will be.
I'm way out of warranty and the dealer isn't even a Cam Am dealer so they have nothing to lose. I brought it there because they hired the lead technician from a recently closed Can Am dealer who has done a lot of work for me over the years. I'm more interested in determining if there's truely a flaw that needs to be fixed than I am in trying to get someone to cover the costs...although that would be nice too!

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Is this the seal for the air box cover or a seal where the open end of the filter attaches to the airbox? If it's for the air box cover I don't see the purpose since that's on the dirty side of the filter. Even if the cover is taped shut dirt will still get into the dirty side of the filter/airbox through the air intake snorkel.
Or am I not understanding what you're describing?
You are correct you could glue shut & completely seal the air box cover lid it wont make a difference how dirty the filter gets your sucking fresh air from another location everybody that's buys a rubber seal for there cover are wasting there money "UNLESS YOU ARE DEEP WATER RIDING" period. The filter seals on the inside end only everything else is the dirty side of the filter.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts