Can-Am ATV Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Have the tech working on your quad take the air filter housing off completely seal the intake end tape or rubber plug ect. smoke test it to see if you have a leak I have done this on several quads of mine to see if I have a clean side leak, I would recommend after rebuild going back to stock filter it filters better than foam but if you have a modified motor you will want the more air flow from a foam filter. I use a uni filter considerable difference on 2 of my Quads it lets more air in but also more dirt my other quad stock filter only clean side is always clean, I would stay away from a K&N. I ride in really dusty conditions. Just food for thought.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Guess no one has really looked at the stock gasket on those lids.
The oem "O" ring gasket on my AF lid didnt fit well from day one. I finally decided to ADD a small screw to the top cap (right at the TOP) once its screwed in.. it helps the Oring to get pinched firmly into place. I also grease the O-ring by hand before re-installing.
For the first year anda half, I washed/re-oiled the thin 3/32' foam sleeve over the Original paper filter. Then I tossed the OEM stuff and put in a new UNI filter ..I squish my BelRay blue oil into the foam while wearing rubber gloves til its well covered. I run about 600 miles per season, some rides are very dusty (and after about two-three of those, I wash, rinse repeat, oil again)..some seasons..NO dusty rides so I run the ONE time oil for the whole 600 miles. I'd BUY the UNI again..

·
Registered
805 Posts
Put the k&n filter in the trash. They let too many small particles thru. Case in point. The fine dust acts like sand paper and wire out the rings.
Ditto: The ONLY serious "dirt thru the filter" problem I ve had in 50 years of riding was with a K&N on one of my my GoldWings.
I obviously didnt oil it enough and the hispeed brass carb jets got clogged with fine dust requiring two carb jobs.
Once I tossed the K&N in favor of a new paper element (like a Fram)..no problems.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Have the tech working on your quad take the air filter housing off completely seal the intake end tape or rubber plug ect. smoke test it to see if you have a leak I have done this on several quads of mine to see if I have a clean side leak, I would recommend after rebuild going back to stock filter it filters better than foam but if you have a modified motor you will want the more air flow from a foam filter. I use a uni filter considerable difference on 2 of my Quads it lets more air in but also more dirt my other quad stock filter only clean side is always clean, I would stay away from a K&N. I ride in really dusty conditions. Just food for thought.
I have to admit I was a little leary of the K&N but was thinking with it being oiled, using the oiled oversleeve with it and the result I saw when cleaning it, that it was doing a good job. I got away from the paper OEM filters years ago on all my machines and went to mostly Uni and some Twin Air filters, both oiled foam type, on the advice of several mechanics and motocross riders. And I have had paper filters were I've seen a light dust coating on the inside on the black plastic end cap when I took them off for cleaning so I figured I was being given good advice. But just as I'm seeing here, no matter what the topic, when it comes to motors everyone seems to have their own opinions and favorite brands, so who do you believe?

·
Registered
461 Posts
You are correct you could glue shut & completely seal the air box cover lid it wont make a difference how dirty the filter gets your sucking fresh air from another location everybody that's buys a rubber seal for there cover are wasting there money "UNLESS YOU ARE DEEP WATER RIDING" period. The filter seals on the inside end only everything else is the dirty side of the filter.
This pretty much sums it up. I do ride in deeper water and have the BRP snorkel kit. I will say this: that OMC seal really seals hard. Yes that is the dirty side of the air box, so really it doesn't do alot but it will force the air intake to come only from the actual air horn vs possibly sucking it in through the air box lid. Splitting hairs I know. The stock steal IMO doesn't seal near as nice as the OMC seal.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I have to admit I was a little leary of the K&N but was thinking with it being oiled, using the oiled oversleeve with it and the result I saw when cleaning it, that it was doing a good job. I got away from the paper OEM filters years ago on all my machines and went to mostly Uni and some Twin Air filters, both oiled foam type, on the advice of several mechanics and motocross riders. And I have had paper filters were I've seen a light dust coating on the inside on the black plastic end cap when I took them off for cleaning so I figured I was being given good advice. But just as I'm seeing here, no matter what the topic, when it comes to motors everyone seems to have their own opinions and favorite brands, so who do you believe?
I run K&N on my car and truck, but those don't see dust conditions like wheelers. From what I've read K&N are not a good chocie for sxs, atvs ect.... Foam filters do a better job of keeping the dust out. UNI, Twin air are the 2 brands I have used and they seem to do an excellent job. Funny story for you guys.... was cleaning the 2008 kawasaki air box and put a rag in the intake to keep anything from going in there. Put it all back together and it was doggy and would die. I messed with the fuel controller, looked all over..... finally it dawned on my, I left the rag in the intake! LOL

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
determining if there's truely a flaw that needs to be fixed
Yeah I'm really curious as to what their findings are. I just have a hard time accepting that what's happened to you is to blame on an air filter choice, especially given your setup. Something almost has to be "off" within the intake tract between the airbox and your combustion chamber, imo.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts