Can-Am ATV Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

500 messed up, HELP

3K views 23 replies 6 participants last post by  bellis 
#1 ·
I just baught a 500, I tested it out ran it down the street checked the oil it all seemed good. But now when I got it home I was checking out other people's top speed and mine redlines at 35 mph, so I thought I would do a oil change and see if that would help, but during the oil change I found metal shavings and sludge in the filter and oil, so now I don't no what to do, any help is needed

#3 ·
High gear

#5 ·
thought of that and replaced that already and no change, I was thinking something with the gear box not shifting in to high maybe? The dash say high but maybe it isn't engaging

#6 ·
Ride it with cover off and see if belt is riding at the top of primary and secondary; I would think that if you can run it to redline and only reach 35mph you must not be reaching top of prim and secondary. What for belt slip too but if that was it I think you would know by now. One more thing, are you sure speedo is correct?

#8 ·
I just baught a 500, I tested it out ran it down the street checked the oil it all seemed good. But now when I got it home I was checking out other people's top speed and mine redlines at 35 mph, so I thought I would do a oil change and see if that would help, but during the oil change I found metal shavings and sludge in the filter and oil, so now I don't no what to do, any help is needed

G1 or 2 ?

Granny key ?

[emoji16][emoji16]yeah I forgot about the different performance keys but yeah make sure it's the black one!or maybe your keys are the other way around[emoji4]

#9 ·
It is a g1 and the key has the black rubber, I will run it down the street with the cover off and see what it does, thanks

Reactions: 650XmRLito
#14 ·
I phones can am up and asked, the 500 only had one key

#18 ·
I haven't had time to check clutch yet I hope tomorrow, day off no work, but it did just occur to me might be a weird clutch the pervious owner did have 30" outlaws, and I only have 26" zillas

#20 ·
So I took it apart today and from what I can tell the primary is a bit sticky but the secondary barely moves at all only 1/4 of a inch or so when it is red lining

#24 ·
I took it apart and all looks fine, but now in the process of of selling the house so I just dropped it off at the dealer, let them figure it out then at least I can replace it knowing 100% what's wrong, thanks for all the help guys

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.