Can-Am ATV Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
In my opinion they are better. I only rode the xtp shocks about 20 miles though. For me the elkas provide minimal if any body roll while still allowing a good ride. I wouldnt call it a plush ride or anything but good without being too soft in the corners. I am a big dude and having the elkas sprung for my weight probably helps a bunch.

·
Registered
49 Posts
In my opinion they are better. I only rode the xtp shocks about 20 miles though. For me the elkas provide minimal if any body roll while still allowing a good ride. I wouldnt call it a plush ride or anything but good without being too soft in the corners. I am a big dude and having the elkas sprung for my weight probably helps a bunch.
the biggest advantage of buying aftermarket shocks yourself is the fact that the shocks will come sprung and valved for your bike and RIDER WEIGHT with gear. vs lets say buying a xt-p well the podiums are going to be sprung and valved to a general rider weight spec that will work ok with a variety of weights and rider caliber.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Thanks for the replys gentlemen. With my wife on the back I would be looking for something with a plush ride for her benefit. I'm guessing the XT-P is worth the extra 2k or so?

·
Banned
6,161 Posts
Thanks for the replys gentlemen. With my wife on the back I would be looking for something with a plush ride for her benefit. I'm guessing the XT-P is worth the extra 2k or so?
Not if you buy an xt and add $1300 elkas.
Is the other stuff you get worth the $700?
You're not getting your $2000 back when you sell or trade.
With elkas you take them off, put stock shocks back on, and have the elkas for your new ride or to sell and recoup some of that $1300.

Food for thought 😁

·
Registered
2021 Outlander 850 max XT-P
117 Posts
I just picked up the 2021 850 max xt-p. I must tell you I have been riding all my life spent many years racing district 7. Unless the plan on running big tires in wide open scag fields the 650 is plenty of bike, honestly. 99% of the time you will not use the power the 850 has in the woods - it's fast and it's powerful. That is my honest opinion. I'm 165 pounds and it's alot of bike. The real question is are you the type that will beat yourself up over not getting the 850? I am fully confident the 650 will do everything you need for Years to come.

I have to really control my thumb - it's alot of bike!

·
Registered
2021 Outlander 850 max XT-P
117 Posts
I read on a different thread a response to this same question. "If you have self control buy as much bike as you can afford". This makes sense but I didn't read your question that way, it sounded like you were just asking if the 650 was enough.

The QS3s that come on the XT-P are certainly better than stock. However if you can swing ordering shocks that are built to YOUR specs that is the way to go. Im not saying ELKA necessarily, there are lots of options out there.

Hope this helps-

·
Registered
2021 Can Am Outlander MAX XT 850
16 Posts
I have the 2021 850 Max XT. My moto is its better to have the power and not need it than need the power and not have it! I like the power the 850 has and I spoke to some people as I was looking at the 650 as well and they highly recommended the 850 especially for 2up riding! I have not been disappointed!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Here’s my 2 cents. I opted for the 650 max xt. I can definitely say that I haven’t wanted or needed more power than the 650 can provide. It’s an awesome machine. As for the ride with the stock shocks and 2 up riding goes, the ride was a little stiff with the factory settings. I adjusted the shock preload down one notch on all four corners to soften them up a bit and all is well and the ride is comfortable. Perfect machine for me and my lady.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts