Can-Am ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi there, I’m really shocked on the horrible gas’s mileage from the 850’s. I’ve heard from, it’s a real high performance engine to maybe there’s something not quite right with the jetting 🙄 Its a 2020 850 xt outlander winter edition. I purchased it mainly for the iTC throttle for the wife, much better on her thumb and hand. Actually there’s know fatigue on her hand at all which makes our riding together very pleasant. That 850 gets only 60 miles to a tank of gas (5.4 gal) at a avg cruising speed of 27mph 🤷 I ride a Scrambler Xp1000 and can get up to 130-140 miles on a tank of fuel (5.26 gal) on the throttle. It makes no sense at all. Actually it’s ridiculous.
I would like to hear a reasonable explanation.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have a 570 Max and yes, it's crappy on gas compared to my previous Cat's (500's) and my buddies Polaris (570), but I still get 120'sh miles (200-210 kms) out of a tank.

I wouldn't expect the 850 to get half what I get.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a 570 Max and yes, it's crappy on gas compared to my previous Cat's (500's) and my buddies Polaris (570), but I still get 120'sh miles (200-210 kms) out of a tank.

I wouldn't expect the 850 to get half what I get.

I wouldn’t either. I’m scratching my head. It’s just a bummer to have a gas station in your destination on a short ride. We’re in Michigan, up north there’s hundreds of trail miles here. Yeah I can cary gas but who wants to do that?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wouldn’t either. I’m scratching my head. It’s just a bummer to have a gas station in your destination on a short ride. We’re in Michigan, up north there’s hundreds of trail miles here. Yeah I can cary gas but who wants to do that?

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Ya I get more than that on my 850. I'm also 90% sure your not getting a full tank when I fill up. You have to take the white insert out of the neck when your filling or you will loose a couple of lt of fuel thinking its full

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I’ll look and see if I a can remove a insert. What I do do is rock it back and fourth and I can get quite a bit more fuel in the tank that way

·
Registered
2016 Can-Am Outlander Max XT 650
876 Posts
You have to take the white insert out of the neck when your filling or you will loose a couple of lt of fuel thinking its full
What does this white insert do? Besides allow you to get more gas into the tank?

Reactions: Synthetic

·
Registered
5 Posts
How level is the machine when fueling up ? I just put 90 kms and took approximetaly 10 liters. So you have something going there with your fueling or your machine. Ohh mymachine is a 19 but shouldn't be any difference in fuel mileage.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
What does this white insert do? Besides allow you to get more gas into the tank?
That is to leave a air gap in the tank for expansion but it greats a air pocket in the tank making it a pain in the butt to get the last few LT of fuel in... I remove and fill and easily get a extra 40-60 km. I put it back in when im done fueling up but i may eventually just leave it right out.

·
Registered
2018 outlander 1000 XT, all stock
206 Posts
I get 100 miles to a tank of gas with my 2018 1000r , maybe there’s something stuck on, like brakes, but riding conditions makes a world of a difference plus riding style fwiw

·
Super Moderator
2020 Outlander XMR 1000r Max
874 Posts
Hi there, I’m really shocked on the horrible gas’s mileage from the 850’s.
You should see the mileage on the XMR 1000! That 850 sips the gas compared to my ride. But I really don't pay attention to mileage, I just bring an extra 15 to 20 gallons with me when I head out to the mountains for the weekend. I am considering a 30 gallon fuel bladder for a small airplane to mount in the bottom of my meat wagon. Electric fuel pump to fill the tank on my wheeler.

·
Registered
2016 Can-Am Outlander Max XT 650
876 Posts
I went for a 76km ride yesterday which was mainly on paved roads so in high gear. I averaged 9L/100km or 26 mpg. 2016 650 Max.
So the entire tank should've lasted me 227 km or 141 miles. That's in high gear though with speeds reaching 70 kph.

Reactions: Freewill

·
Registered
69 Posts
My buddy has a 2020 850 Max XT and we just got done riding for 300 miles. I have a 2013 650 Max XT and he never complained about gas usage and gassed up the same as everyone else. We had an 800 Max XT, a 1000 Commander and a 1000 Honda Talon in the group,too.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 19 850 and in rugged terrain like black hills of South Dakota I can rely on 80-90 miles per tank without removing any tank inserts. I will say that if you run primarily in low range, expect something closer to 60 miles per tank. Also, use fresh fuel not 6 months old from a farm barrel

·
Registered
2020 Outlander DPS 850, 2016 Outlander Max XT 1000R
54 Posts
After 47 engine hours and the first oil change my 2020 850 gave a dramatic bump in mileage. Went from 60 miles a tank to 80 or 90 depending on sport mode usage.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
your just doing your first after 47 hours, usually recommended at around 10-20 hours for the first service changing all oils..

I find in sport mode i get better econ but i don't use that mode as its just way to sensitive unless on wide open roads..

·
Registered
2020 Outlander DPS 850, 2016 Outlander Max XT 1000R
54 Posts
Operators guide states 1000 miles or 50 engine hours for dusty and muddy conditions. 2000 miles or 100 engine hours for normal conditions. Had very little metal shavings on the oil plug and none visible in the filter when I changed it.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Outlander XMR 1000r Max
874 Posts
Operators guide states 1000 miles or 50 engine hours for dusty and muddy conditions. 2000 miles or 100 engine hours for normal conditions. Had very little metal shavings on the oil plug and none visible in the filter when I changed it.
And what does it say for break in?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts