Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recenly bought a 1997 Polaris Sportsman 500 not running. I try to make it turn with the electric starter with a full charge batterie, but went it turn over the motor stop turning after 2 stroke. I remove the sparkplug and I put my compression tester and first stroke 30 pounds and second stroke 60 pound and then it seem that the compress air wont release. I need to release the air to make it turn again. Do you think that I have a valve or valves stuck?:th_smiliepullhair:

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
valve stuck

Either cam or valves either way you will have to tear into it is my guess.

Reactions: rockflash

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
They have a compression release so about 60lbs is a healthy motor. Sounds to me more like a weak battery or a worn out exhaust cam lobe not opening the exhaust valves to let it breath. Very common in the pre 01 500 sportsmans.

·
Registered
24 Posts
The automatic compression release (ACR) could be sticking making it hard to turn over. Try pulling the rope start and if it it is extremely difficult that could be it. I think you might need to pull the valve cover and see if the cam lobes are worn. As RVSperformance stated cam lobes are a very common issue with the older 500s.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts