Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My gauge cluster is screwed so I can’t trust it for oil or temperature warning. Hopefully I can find a used cluster for reasonable but until then can I put a temperature gauge on it for now? Where is the temperature sensor found?
thank you

·
Registered
2015 Outlander XMR 650
3,068 Posts
Pretty sure you wouldn't be able to use either the oil or coolant temperature switches to give you a gauge readout- they are simply on/off switches, temperature-dependent. You'd need to grab one of those after market cooling gauge setups, that uses an actual sending unit. Coolant could splice right into a radiator hose, simple install. Not sure how you'd go about getting an actual oil temperature.....

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If I could replace the sensor with one that would work with a gauge I would be fine with that. Where is the coolant sensor found? The other issue would be finding a sensor that would work.

·
Registered
2015 Outlander XMR 650
3,068 Posts
Top of the cylinder head

·
Registered
621 Posts
For the amount of time, money, and effort your going to put into doing that setup it would be cheaper and faster to get one of the kits of ebay/amazon that you put in your heater hose.. I did that on one of my other machines and 5 years later still working great.. The gauge part is nice and small so you can put it anywhere..

·
Registered
54 Posts
For the amount of time, money, and effort your going to put into doing that setup it would be cheaper and faster to get one of the kits of ebay/amazon that you put in your heater hose.. I did that on one of my other machines and 5 years later still working great.. The gauge part is nice and small so you can put it anywhere..
What kit did you use? I'd be interested in something like this.

·
Registered
621 Posts
This is similar to what I had... have not used ebay in so long I forgot my pass so I cant get the the one I had... but same idea

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sounds like yours is a digital gauge. How is it holding up in the weather? I live in Vermont so it would see -20 to 90f temperature and snow to rain on it. The gauge would need to be weather proof.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I wish there was just a plug on the engine or a simple plug and play electrical connector I could do because I’m sure the computer monitors engine temp already for the fan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
151 Posts

Koso is perfect on my ride.
15 min install, no draining (will lose a few spoons of coolant only). Removed a ‘’plug’’ on engine, screwed sensor, hook 12 V that’s it.
Check web site you may need an extension for the sensor .

Luc
Canada

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
you add that to a 400? Is there a spare plug on a 400 or just where the temp sensor is? What model Koso did you use?
thank you

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hmmm I’m definitely interested in something like that koso... I like simple for these kinds of things

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Where would be a good place to wire into to get 12v with key on? I have a gauge to put in. Also a another good place to tap into for 12v when the lights are on for the gauge lighting?
Thank you

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
for anyone curious, the thread on the temperature switch is12mm x 1.5.
I think I am going to tap into the ignition switch wires. going to use the red/yellow stripe for the gauge light because that one is key on lights, and the red/pink stripe for the gauge power as that is always hot with key on in either position.

·
Registered
2015 Outlander XMR 650
3,068 Posts
Temperature switch in the head energizes the cooling fan circuit, the switch in the radiator then powers the fan on/off.

That's only on the older carb'd 400s, the ECM bikes have a different setup.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts